Grounding and lightning.

Old May 31st 11, 11:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.nl.electronica.zelfbouw,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
[email protected]

Default SkyBuck ... "Since I am an electronics engineer" ??

On Tue, 31 May 2011 09:33:48 -0700, Tim Wescott wrote:

On 05/31/2011 09:29 AM, Joel Koltner wrote:
"Nobody (Revisited)" wrote in message
It's quite funny how "engineers" get treated in hi-tech. Unless proven
otherwise, management won't let them touch tools, test equipment, or
even product.

I'm know this happens at some places, but not anywhere I'd want to work.
Indeed, I've been specifically asked/told at interviews, "You can
solder, right? -- All of our engineers are required to have workable (if
not beautiful) soldering skills..."

I had an uncle who did EE at Boeing. During the interview process, he'd
reach into a drawer and hand his victim a soldering iron, business end
first, and say "here". Grabbing the 'ouch' end without hesitation meant
that the candidate would soon be politely ushered out the door, never to
work for him.

Better; bump it off the table and see which way he moves.

Old May 31st 11, 11:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.nl.electronica.zelfbouw,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Michael A. Terrell

" wrote:

[...]

I saw something falling off someone else's bench (out the corner of
my eye) once, and caught a hot soldering iron that had rolled off the
edge of the bench. It hurt like hell, for a week. I grabbed a tube of
pure silicon grease (W.W.II surplus Solenoid Grease) and smeared it on
the burnt skin before it could dry out and ended up with no scarring.

Old June 1st 11, 12:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.nl.electronica.zelfbouw,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
[email protected]

On Tue, 31 May 2011 18:44:35 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

" wrote:

[...]

There's the door. ;-)
Old June 1st 11, 12:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.nl.electronica.zelfbouw,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Jim Thompson[_2_]

wrote:

" wrote:

[...]

I grabbed a soldering iron from the wrong end... once. Because I
reached without looking. Never done that again :-(

Though a few weeks ago I grabbed a skewer of scallops from the barby
that slipped off my tongs :-(

Discovered an interesting thing... the only cold water available was
salted water sitting there with green onions in it. Threw them aside
and stuck my finger in... immediate relief and the blister that had
started, subsided. Over the next week it became leathery and flaked
off... but no pain or rawness that often results from such a burn.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Old June 1st 11, 01:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.nl.electronica.zelfbouw,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Michael A. Terrell

wrote:

" wrote:

[...]

I wasn't there for a job. I was delivering repaired equipment. The
'customer' was trying to do some repairs themselves, and as usual,
something went wrong. OTOH, if I hadn't caught that iron, they weren't
paying attention and it would have burnt down a three story building.

Old June 1st 11, 04:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.nl.electronica.zelfbouw,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
[email protected]

wrote:

" wrote:

[...]

Let it fall, then pick it up *after* you've figured out which end is the cold
end. ;-)
Old June 1st 11, 07:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.nl.electronica.zelfbouw,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
[email protected]

On May 31, 6:41*pm, Jim Thompson To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-I...@On-My-
Web-Site.com wrote:

Though a few weeks ago I grabbed a skewer of scallops from the barby
that slipped off my tongs :-(

Discovered an interesting thing... the only cold water available was
salted water sitting there with green onions in it. *Threw them aside
and stuck my finger in... immediate relief and the blister that had
started, subsided. *Over the next week it became leathery and flaked
off... but no pain or rawness that often results from such a burn.

Cooling the burn within roughly a minute does that. I slipped and
burned a serious trench in a fingertip working on a delta Vbe
thermometer. Dunked it instantly in the icebath, and it never even
really hurt, just healed up like it never happened.

Apparently it takes time for the heat to penetrate, and to cook your
meat dead. Quick cooling minimizes the damage.

I've used the same trick several times since. Handy. Just yesterday,
in fact.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur
Old June 1st 11, 08:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.nl.electronica.zelfbouw,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Michael A. Terrell

" wrote:

Let it fall, then pick it up *after* you've figured out which end is the cold
end. ;-)

So, you can turn off your reflexes? I saw motion in my peripherial
vision, and caught it without knowing what it was.

Old June 1st 11, 11:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.nl.electronica.zelfbouw,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
[email protected]

On Wed, 01 Jun 2011 03:32:24 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

" wrote:

Let it fall, then pick it up *after* you've figured out which end is the cold
end. ;-)

So, you can turn off your reflexes?

If that's what you call running from imminent danger, sure.

I saw motion in my peripherial
vision, and caught it without knowing what it was.

I wouldn't have, knowing I was in a work area. I don't play mumblety-peg,
either.
Old June 1st 11, 11:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.nl.electronica.zelfbouw,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
[email protected]

Web-Site.com wrote:

Though a few weeks ago I grabbed a skewer of scallops from the barby
that slipped off my tongs :-(

Discovered an interesting thing... the only cold water available was
salted water sitting there with green onions in it. *Threw them aside
and stuck my finger in... immediate relief and the blister that had
started, subsided. *Over the next week it became leathery and flaked
off... but no pain or rawness that often results from such a burn.

Cooling the burn within roughly a minute does that. I slipped and
burned a serious trench in a fingertip working on a delta Vbe
thermometer. Dunked it instantly in the icebath, and it never even
really hurt, just healed up like it never happened.

Yup. I burned my arm on the upper rack of the oven once. I immediately put
ice on the offending spot. No blisters at all, except about 2" lower down
where I also scraped the rack, but didn't feel it because of the bigger spot.
The lower spot hurt like hell for a couple of days. The larger spot didn't
even blister.

Apparently it takes time for the heat to penetrate, and to cook your
meat dead. Quick cooling minimizes the damage.

Works for sunburn, too.

I've used the same trick several times since. Handy. Just yesterday,
in fact.

Water is good. Ice is much better.

Grounding John General 17 January 24th 08 07:50 PM
proper grounding Skeleton Man General 25 June 26th 07 04:44 PM
Grounding Question - PSU Hardline General 8 January 21st 07 05:37 AM
[OT] Grounding Skeleton Man General 8 December 4th 04 09:37 PM
Grounding the motherboard. Wedge Homebuilt PC's 10 December 1st 04 01:54 AM