ELSA/Nvidia 6800 GT 256MB install problems

Old August 3rd 05, 02:21 AM
Robert McKay

Default ELSA/Nvidia 6800 GT 256MB install problems

Not sure if anyone here can help me..
Just got me a new NVIDIA card to upgrade my old 5700 LE. I was psyched when
I opened the box from Fed Ex and replaced my card on my motherboard
immediately. Finally after re-connecting the power cord I turned the power
on and received a loud steady beeping sound from my motherboard. My LCD
displays there is "no signal" coming from my card. The fan isn't working on
the video card. Nothing. I had power on my system. (I could open and close
my drives) Only nothing on my monitor. I checked my power supply on my
system and it's 420 watts. 300 is all that's required of the new card. Am I
missing something? Or is this brand new card a piece of crap? (broken) I
re-inserted the old card and everything is working OK. Hmm. Any advice/tips
appreciated.

Old August 3rd 05, 02:23 AM
Robert McKay

"Robert McKay" wrote in message
Not sure if anyone here can help me..
Just got me a new NVIDIA card to upgrade my old 5700 LE. I was psyched
when I opened the box from Fed Ex and replaced my card on my motherboard
immediately. Finally after re-connecting the power cord I turned the power
on and received a loud steady beeping sound from my motherboard. My LCD
displays there is "no signal" coming from my card. The fan isn't working
on the video card. Nothing. I had power on my system. (I could open and
close my drives) Only nothing on my monitor. I checked my power supply on
my system and it's 420 watts. 300 is all that's required of the new card.
Am I missing something? Or is this brand new card a piece of crap?
(broken) I re-inserted the old card and everything is working OK. Hmm. Any
advice/tips appreciated.

Pardon me.. My specs.
XP Pro
AMD Athlon
2.01 GHz
768 MB of RAM

Old August 3rd 05, 04:09 AM
Mustafa

"Robert McKay" wrote in message
Not sure if anyone here can help me..
Just got me a new NVIDIA card to upgrade my old 5700 LE. I was psyched
when I opened the box from Fed Ex and replaced my card on my motherboard
immediately. Finally after re-connecting the power cord I turned the power
on and received a loud steady beeping sound from my motherboard. My LCD
displays there is "no signal" coming from my card. The fan isn't working
on the video card. Nothing. I had power on my system. (I could open and
close my drives) Only nothing on my monitor. I checked my power supply on
my system and it's 420 watts. 300 is all that's required of the new card.
Am I missing something? Or is this brand new card a piece of crap?
(broken) I re-inserted the old card and everything is working OK. Hmm. Any
advice/tips appreciated.

Check that you connected one of the molex (big 4 pin 12v) power connectors
coming from your power supply to the molex power connector on the videocard,
it's best to use one that has no other devices attached. Also make sure that
the videocard is seated properly in the AGP socket, if it still isn't
working then you probably have a bad board.

Rob.

Old August 4th 05, 09:12 PM
Homer J. Simpson

"... received a loud steady beeping sound ...", this would indicate that you
didn't plug in a 12V Molex power connector from the power supply to the
Molex connector on the video card. It's recommended that the video card
have its own power cable from the power supply (i.e. not shared with any
other devices like disk drives, CD/DVD burners, cooling fans, etc).