Ti 4800 TV-Input & Windows Media Encoder 8+9

Old July 14th 03, 10:36 AM
Kadett

Default Ti 4800 TV-Input & Windows Media Encoder 8+9

"Mal" wrote in message
All,

I tried using my TV Input from my DG400 digisender with Windows Media
Encoders 8 and 9, and neither work. The software that comes with my TV

Input
(on my Geforce 4 Ti4800 SE) works fine, but I cant get media encoder

work, it just says "Not Supported" on the video window and when I

press
Start Encoding, its says 8007048F Deivce not connected. I have latest
drivers and updates (as of 14th July) and I cant make head nor tail of

it!
Media encoder works with my USB webcam however!

has anyone come across this? and whats the best things to try?

Thanks

Yes, as far as i know is Windows Media Encoder 4.1 the last version that
works.
If you don't use the encoder for live transmit (and got a lot of space
on your disc), I suggest you to capture the video in a low compressed
format and convert it later.

If you need to live transmit I suggest you to buy a card that's listed
on the compatibilitylist on MS media downloadpage (I've tested a lot of
other cards with MediaEncoder9 and none of them worked) or i.e. buy an
old cheap BT-848 or BT-878 based tv-capturecard such as Avermedia98 or
somthing like that and use Win MediaEncoder 7.1, This works real fine
for me at least and allow me to transmit in a range from 160x120dpi @
90kbit/s to 640x480 @ 350kbit/s w/o any problems. (the higher limitation
as actualy because my upload is limited to 400kbit/s not technology,
over the LAN it's possible to transmit 640x480 @ 2Mbit/s w/o any
problem).

As far as I understand it, it has something to do with the WDM-drivers
and/or video-overlay mode, a couple of the cards i tested could actually
be used (well at least feed the encoder with something) if I starded an
other application such as amcap and forced the encoder to use
videocapture in primary-mode. Unfortunatly the result is a very choppy
video that's inpossible to use for anything.

Best thing to try...
Do You need to live-transmit? try an other capture device/card or try an
other encoder such as Real Encoder.
Do You use the encoded media for OnDemand? capture it in a low
compressed or if you got the space uncompressed format on an NTFS-drive
via capture-softvare that allow you to create videofiles bigger than 2
or 4 GB (i.e VirtualDub) and encode it later (gives a lot better result
to actually) in a format of Your choice.

--
Johan