Video freeze

Old September 3rd 03, 10:58 PM
@drian

Default Video freeze

The video display (actually, Windows XP) just froze on my system. I was
composing an e-mail at the time, doing nothing graphics intensive. It froze
for 20 seconds and came back in 640x480 mode, telling me:

"Microsoft Windows detected and recovered from a device failure. Please
save
your work and reboot to restore full functionality."

I then checked the event log, and sure enough, an ATI driver message:

"Event Type: Error
Event Source: ati2mtag
Event Category: None
Event ID: 108
Date: date stripped
Time: time stripped
User: N/A
Computer: stripped
The driver ati2dvag for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an
infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or
with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check
with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates."

Anyone experience this? I have the 9700 Pro, with Intel 875PBZ motherboard
(BIOS P12). Nothing is overclocked. Is this really a driver problem or
could it be the hardware at fault?

@drian.

Old September 4th 03, 02:30 AM
Mark H

Hi @drian.
I had the same problem with my Nvidia card. It happened just after boot up,
I restarted and it has not happened since. I have not changed anything since
it happened.
If it doesn't happen again I wouldn't worry about it, if it happens again
then try a different driver and/or card.
Hope this helps.
Mark

.. .

Old September 4th 03, 03:14 AM
@drian

Hello Mark,

Yes, same symptoms as you describe. It's happened three or four times over
the last month. Fortunately, XP brings me back so I can save documents,
e-mails and so forth. It's totally random when it happens.

Thanks for the advice.

@drian.

Old September 4th 03, 07:14 PM
Zantafio

Similar for one or two seconds duration everytime without error message,
under 98SE
Appears randomly. Sometimes nothing for several days.

--
http://evidence-eliminator-sucks.com/eesucks/

Old September 4th 03, 09:39 PM
Kent_Diego

Experiment with motherboard's BIOS settings. You do have the latest ATI
drivers? Look through forums at http://rage3d.com for more ideas.

-Kent

Old September 5th 03, 10:18 PM
Zantafio

Thanks but mine is an Nvidia Leadtek Vivo 440 MX -AGP 8x

--
sqN5b.44120$cj1.5681@fed1read06...

Old September 6th 03, 09:08 PM
@drian

I've got the latest drivers, Kent. I do have the AGP aperture set to 128,
maybe that's a possible reason it is freezing.

Thanks.

@drian.

Old September 6th 03, 11:40 PM
Kent_Diego

I've got the latest drivers, Kent. I do have the AGP aperture set to 128,
maybe that's a possible reason it is freezing.

I have seen freezing problems fixed by changing aperture size and turning
off AGP fast writes and Write Combining.. Find the display controller's
Trouble Shoot tab and turn down acceleration one notch as a last resort. The
only was to fix a problem like this is to keep trying everything until
fixed. Start with settings, then drivers, then replace hardware components.

-Kent

Old September 7th 03, 12:12 AM
Strontium

I know you've had several replies, to this, already. I just want to throw
in my experience with this 'infinite loop' deal. I found that installing
(yes, it means a clean install ...) in this order got rid of it, for me:
XP, motherboard drivers, DX9, Catalysts or Omegas. It's a pain, I know.
But, it's what worked for me.

-
@drian stood up at show-n-tell, in

Date: date stripped
Time: time stripped
User: N/A
Computer: stripped
The driver ati2dvag for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck
in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device
itself or with the device driver programming the hardware
incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any
driver updates."

Anyone experience this? I have the 9700 Pro, with Intel 875PBZ
motherboard (BIOS P12). Nothing is overclocked. Is this really a
driver problem or could it be the hardware at fault?

@drian.

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old September 7th 03, 04:17 PM
Ancra

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 18:12:43 -0500, "Strontium"
wrote:

I know you've had several replies, to this, already. I just want to throw
in my experience with this 'infinite loop' deal. I found that installing
(yes, it means a clean install ...) in this order got rid of it, for me:
XP, motherboard drivers, DX9, Catalysts or Omegas. It's a pain, I know.
But, it's what worked for me.

Nice to hear you fixed your problems. Interesting though.
I've always assumed videodrivers should go on before DX (and indeed
this works for me...sofar...), but maybe DX9 has come to a stage where
it's better to install before drivers?

ancra