videocard upgrade

Old October 25th 03, 02:37 PM
Mike

Default videocard upgrade

Hi,

I as thinking of an upgrade for my videocard because I hope that Battlefild
1942 will play more smoothly then. Because I cannot spend that much I was
thinking about the Radeon 9200 or the nVidia 5200. Can anyone give me
advice?

More importantly, wil I see much difference with my GeForce4 MX440 ?

Thanks anyway!
Mike

AMD Athlon 2000+
GA-7VRXP (max. 4xAGP)
Leadtek Winfast GeForce4 MX440 64MB
Neovo F-15 TFT (no DVI)

Old October 25th 03, 04:51 PM
Skid

Either would be faster than what you have. But I would suggest saving up a
bit more to get to the Radeon 9500-9600 level. That would give you more
speed plus full DX9 support for cureent and future games.

You can get a 64-meg Sapphire Radeon 9500 OEM for $99 from www.newegg.com A
128-meg 9600 is $113.

Old October 25th 03, 05:14 PM
Mike

Either would be faster than what you have. But I would suggest saving up a
bit more to get to the Radeon 9500-9600 level. That would give you more
speed plus full DX9 support for cureent and future games.

You can get a 64-meg Sapphire Radeon 9500 OEM for $99 from www.newegg.com

128-meg 9600 is $113.

I saw on Tom's Hardware
(http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/...charts-05.html) that the
Ti4200 for example has a 2x higher score then my MX440.

And I can buy the Asus GeForce V9280 4 Ti4200 8X TD 64MB for $90. Doesn't
that do me more good?

Mike

Old October 25th 03, 05:19 PM
Tod

Don't get the ATI 9200, get the 9100, it's faster.
The GPU in the 9200 is a slightly stripped down version of
the one what is in the 9100.

Spend a few extra bucks and get the ATI 9600.

Old October 25th 03, 05:48 PM
Skid

"Mike" wrote in message
Either would be faster than what you have. But I would suggest saving up

bit more to get to the Radeon 9500-9600 level. That would give you more
speed plus full DX9 support for cureent and future games.

You can get a 64-meg Sapphire Radeon 9500 OEM for $99 from

www.newegg.com
128-meg 9600 is $113.

I saw on Tom's Hardware
(http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/...charts-05.html) that the
Ti4200 for example has a 2x higher score then my MX440.

And I can buy the Asus GeForce V9280 4 Ti4200 8X TD 64MB for $90. Doesn't
that do me more good?

No. The Ti4200 and 9500 non-pro are pretty close until you enable AA or AF,
when the Radeon will pull away big time. If you want good performance and
the best visual quality, plus DX9 support the Ti4200 does not offer, go with
the Radeon.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...00-dx9-p1.html

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...00-dx9-p2.html

The 64-meg Sapphire 9500 is $99, and the 128-meg 9600 is $113 at
www.newegg.com. Well worth the small price difference, if you ask me.

Old October 25th 03, 07:31 PM
Marko Svirčić

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:48:12 GMT, Skid wrote:

No. The Ti4200 and 9500 non-pro are pretty close until you enable AA or AF,
when the Radeon will pull away big time. If you want good performance and
the best visual quality, plus DX9 support the Ti4200 does not offer, go with
the Radeon.

Plus, he coud probobly mod the 9500 NP to a 9700, which is a LOT faster
then both cards.
Old October 25th 03, 07:31 PM
Marko Svirčić

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:19:49 GMT, Tod wrote:

Don't get the ATI 9200, get the 9100, it's faster.
The GPU in the 9200 is a slightly stripped down version of
the one what is in the 9100.

That's right. The 9200 has 4 pipelines and only one texture unit per
pipline, while 9100 (which is a renamed 8500) has two texture units per
pipeline.

Spend a few extra bucks and get the ATI 9600.

He could also opt for this.
Old October 25th 03, 08:20 PM
Ben Pope

Mike wrote:
Hi,

I as thinking of an upgrade for my videocard because I hope that
Battlefild 1942 will play more smoothly then. Because I cannot spend that
much I was thinking about the Radeon 9200 or the nVidia 5200. Can anyone
give me advice?

More importantly, wil I see much difference with my GeForce4 MX440 ?

Save up for a 9600... performance with DX9 games such as HL2 and Doom3 will
be so much better with a 9600 than either of those other two cards. Since
you are obviously on a budget, it doesn't make sense to spend money on a
card that will not cope with the games of tomorrow (and it is pretty soon
that games will start using DX9). For a gamer a can't recommend purchasing
anything less than a 9600, it simply isn't worth it.

Ben

Old October 25th 03, 10:42 PM
Alan Shepherd

I as thinking of an upgrade for my videocard because I hope that
Battlefild 1942 will play more smoothly then. Because I cannot spend

that
much I was thinking about the Radeon 9200 or the nVidia 5200. Can anyone
give me advice?

More importantly, wil I see much difference with my GeForce4 MX440 ?

Save up for a 9600... performance with DX9 games such as HL2 and Doom3

will
be so much better with a 9600 than either of those other two cards. Since
you are obviously on a budget, it doesn't make sense to spend money on a
card that will not cope with the games of tomorrow (and it is pretty soon
that games will start using DX9). For a gamer a can't recommend

purchasing
anything less than a 9600, it simply isn't worth it.

The Geforce 5600 is less effective than the 9600, and still hardware DirectX
9 - but the slowest DX9 GF, the 5200 is slower than the 4200 Ti most of the
time, and undercut by the GF4 MX's.