Gigabyte whacked out on me again

Old May 27th 15, 10:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Gigabyte whacked out on me again

AMD Gigabyte MB - thought I'd "cured it" of high temps by lowering the
HyperTransport multiplier.

Storm yesterday and a few brown-outs, two or three, longest maybe 15
seconds.

Nothing unusual in rebooting, except upon noticing Speed Fan's report
aggressive high temps. Again.

It was rock solid before. Cool temps that seemed -never- to deviate,
not that I noticed, which could be considered suspicious.

CPU jumped from 96F to 111-115. MB and chipset are reporting - from
111-115F prior to now 117-127F.

Wham bam and a 10 degree jump "across the board."

Reset the BIOS, tried to get the HyperTransport aspect again to work
in cooling things down, but no go. Hot no matter what I set what,
basically anything/everything relevant (within -workable- parameters -
I'm not dropping a 4 cores @2.2Ghz down to 1.2Ghz, for instance).

Nary now a clue to that particular BIOS chipset, I'm running with.

Prior non-deviating temps - if it looks too good to be true, maybe it
was. (If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck.) It'll jump from
117F with a load now to 127F. Might have been something whacked out,
which changed, between layering the sensors into SpeedFan.

Nothing like 3 or 4 abrupt power outages to abruptly wake up, get over
it, and onto the smell roasting roses. It's back, for me, to
Gigabyte's promoting itself, alongside the gods of QC, for
high-tolerance components with resistance to hostile environments.

I'm just about totally sold-off of any high-wattage CPU. If and when
I upgrade it's going to be 25nano-die core technology and 45watt-draw
stuff. These new generation of 125-145watt AMD multicores, (mine's
only 80 watts), just holding that thought makes my dick sore.
Old May 27th 15, 10:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

Flasherly wrote:
AMD Gigabyte MB - thought I'd "cured it" of high temps by lowering the
HyperTransport multiplier.

Storm yesterday and a few brown-outs, two or three, longest maybe 15
seconds.

Are you using a surge protector?
Bill
Old May 28th 15, 06:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 27 May 2015 17:47:12 -0400, Bill
wrote:

Are you using a surge protector?
Bill

No need. Gigabyte claims they've got that covered, (over-spec'd
support circuitry), too.

It's the age of Military Spec'd MBs, between MSI and Gigabyte claims
for extra protection. Some of the newer, the latest stuff in that
direction adds high-humidity (approaching water-proof, eh). New fiber
composite ribbon windings in the epoxy construction is another -- for
better trace layering signal pathways.

I live in area with high outages. Certain times of the year, they're
regular. Surge protector is OK, not much better than nothing, whereas
a UPS is essential in any serious sense. I'm not that critical, just
semi-used to be blown out of the water periodically. Not so great on
electronics, but not so bad, either. I suspect it helps weed out less
than robust engineering. It's the direct hits from nearby electrical
storms that get all the repair business, but I'm more or less out of
that "alley-way" and see mostly brownouts.

I've talked to some, tho, who have told me they've had balls of
lightning roll through the door and through the house. That's a hair
straightener.
Old May 28th 15, 02:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 28 May 2015 01:00:32 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

I've had this MB long enough for 4 CPU - still have them all.

The original Orleans I bought with it. It's sorta a Sempron, I guess.

An Athlon 64 bit single core (have it - *hope* it went in the same MB,
been awhile)

Athlon dual core

The latest Phenom x4 (both that and the dual are off ebay)

(Somebody last week just gave me a newer 3.2Ghz Regor x2 Phenom, but
won't know -it's not listed spec'd/supported- until I try/install and
boot with it. Remote chance.)

(Worst comes to worst, can't stand the heat, I can go back to that
friggin' Orleans - also have another look at the a64, in case it's a
valid CPU. I do recall the Orleans well - dog-assed, marginally slow.
I can possibly go reductivist, tho, within that margin. Or buy a
newer MB, Intel, or lower AMD wattage, newer die
technology/higher-power and chalk one up for hotpants impulse buying.
I don't do generally *treats,* but I have had this MB going on 10
years. And apart the heat it looks/acts exactly the same as when I
got it. New.)
Old May 28th 15, 08:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_36_]

wrote:

Are you using a surge protector?
Bill

No need. Gigabyte claims they've got that covered, (over-spec'd
support circuitry), too.

You, of all people, believe everything you hear??? : )
To be honest, I don't know how well they have "got that covered"...but,
I'm suspicious.

Old May 28th 15, 10:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Thu, 28 May 2015 15:38:56 -0400, Bill wrote:

| Flasherly wrote:
| On Wed, 27 May 2015 17:47:12 -0400, Bill
| wrote:
|
| Are you using a surge protector?
| Bill
| No need. Gigabyte claims they've got that covered, (over-spec'd
| support circuitry), too.
| You, of all people, believe everything you hear??? : )
| To be honest, I don't know how well they have "got that covered"...but,
| I'm suspicious.

No matter what any computer part manufacturer says, a good surge protector is one of
those things in the "better safe than sorry" category, IMO.

Larc
Old May 28th 15, 11:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

wrote:

No need. Gigabyte claims they've got that covered, (over-spec'd
support circuitry), too.

You, of all people, believe everything you hear??? : )
To be honest, I don't know how well they have "got that covered"...but,
I'm suspicious.

That's usually my credo, too, but after ... hm*,
6, not 10 years, (of course production/manuf. predates that 6 by
some). Still a long time for as-new excellency -- thru enough
brown-outs to be as seasonal as hurricanes.

(I'd knock on wood for a good measure of suspiciousness, except past
two weeks I've been replacing a wooden fence, that's seen its share of
hurricane winds, with a PVC panels. Brutal. All the 8' spaced posts
have to closely moved in for 6' lengths. About halfway done, once all
goes well nobody feaks out -- Sanitation Dept. came by to double-check
what I piled on the curb wasn't Commercial Work -- and it's hauled
off, out of sight and mind.)

Dunno what I'd do on quiet nights without my Gigabyte variously
serving as a multimedia platform. 130F operationally chipped to a
load, withstanding.

Flash back BIOS to older and flash then to current to try and
duplicate, at least until that storm a couple days ago, what the
HyperThreading BIOS setting did for temperatures for a month's alleged
smooth and cool, reported temps -- 30days of bliss at least 10F lower
"across the board," than what I'm presently back up to. Maybe.
Bunch'a damn more work, in the grand Game of Life, for potentially a
wild goose chase.

*
1/11/2009
Inv #43282408

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1640 Orleans 2.6GHz Socket AM2 45W Single-Core
Processor ADH1640DHBOX
Item #: N82E16819103239 512M L2 cache (not 1M)
--Processors (CPUs) Return Policy $35.99

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual
Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
Item #: N82E16820231098
Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy $31.99 2

GIGABYTE GA-M61PME-S2 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 / nForce 430 Micro
ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813128333
30 Day Return Policy
Gigabyte (626)-854-9338 option 4 www.giga-byte.com $48.99
Old May 28th 15, 11:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Larc wrote:
On Thu, 28 May 2015 15:38:56 -0400, Bill wrote:

| Flasherly wrote:
| On Wed, 27 May 2015 17:47:12 -0400, Bill
| wrote:
|
| Are you using a surge protector?
| Bill
| No need. Gigabyte claims they've got that covered, (over-spec'd
| support circuitry), too.
| You, of all people, believe everything you hear??? : )
| To be honest, I don't know how well they have "got that covered"...but,
| I'm suspicious.

No matter what any computer part manufacturer says, a good surge protector is one of
those things in the "better safe than sorry" category, IMO.

Larc

If I had dirty Hydro at a site, I'd either want
a double-conversion UPS (the kind the IT department
uses), or I'd want a motor-generator set.

A double-conversion UPS is more affordable, and
are available at lower power ratings.

People use motor-generator sets, for converting
220V single phase, into three phase for running
induction motors in a home wood shop (for the lathe
or for a surface planer). Your power company will
not provide three-phase if you phone them up, because
your residential neighborhood isn't wired for that.
But you can still do conversion with a motor-generator...
for a price.

The motor-generator provided filtering via
the flywheel effect. If an improper stimulus
is applied for too long, a series element has
to open to disconnect the motor side, and prevent
damage. So in both those cases, they have a "filtering"
element, as well as needing a strategy in case an
insult lasts for a significant period of time.

In the only case of computer equipment damage
at my house, it was a piece of equipment connected
to the surge-protected UPS that got damaged. All the
other gear, not connected to that UPS, was fine. I went
out for lunch, to a local hamburger joint, and as I was
looking out the window, I saw a lightning bolt fall
in the general direction of my neighborhood. When I
got home, the CRT on the computer was damaged.
And, it was not a cheap CRT either. The CRT cost
more than the computer. The thing weighed around
80 pounds, and only this year, I took it to the
recycler to get rid of it. What a job getting
it up the basement stairs... :-)

Paul
Old May 29th 15, 02:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 28 May 2015 18:55:04 -0400, Paul wrote:

double-conversion UPS (the kind the IT department
uses), or I'd want a motor-generator set.

A double-conversion UPS is more affordable, and
are available at lower power ratings.

People use motor-generator sets, for converting
220V single phase, into three phase for running
induction motors in a home wood shop (for the lathe
or for a surface planer). Your power company will
not provide three-phase if you phone them up, because
your residential neighborhood isn't wired for that.
But you can still do conversion with a motor-generator...
for a price.

Had that at work. Car motor, the first one, not sure the second. Both
room-sized and both built on a dedicated concrete base for a rather
large complex w/ 360V 3-phase.

I've heard from one-to-one transformers to neon earth-grounded setups
in surge protection. Depending...

It's a big repair business around here, lightning, so when "season"
comes they're all out and getting the big payday.

I like surge protectors fine with grain of salt and dash of snakeoil
for flavoring. Just glad I'm not in an area more prone to hits, as
are some. Not nice being nearby close to a strike, and I've seen a
few. All that sudden noise, associated excitement - and I might get
away with a headache. I'd rather get kicks with my 220V Lincoln stick
arc welder on a 60-amp fuse I replaced for a double-duty dryer outlet.
Any day.