Specing out a new PC

Old March 12th 07, 05:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jethro

Default Specing out a new PC

I'm soliciting ideas and comments for my new PC build I'm about to start.
My old Socket A AMD stuff has fallen behind in everything and work came
through with some cash for me.. AND I have wife permission so it's all
good. :-)

Have been an AMD man for years now but seems they dropped the ball. I
know it's a hard time to buy as so much is changing while waiting for
AMD to counter Intel's latest offering.

Anyway my initial upgrade specs. (Not ever looking at SLI)

Intel E6600 Core2Duo
Asus P5B-Deluxe
OCZ 2GB PC2-6400 Dual channel
BFG 8800GTS 640Mb (looking at the OC version but...) GTX probably too
over the top
2 x WD 320GB SATAII 16MB buffer

Existing to carry over Antec SLK1650B case with Antec Neo HE500W power
supply. Worried it might not have the juice to run it.

Thoughts/Comments/Suggestions?
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old March 12th 07, 07:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'Jethro' wrote, in part:
| I'm soliciting ideas and comments for my new PC build I'm about to start.
| My old Socket A AMD stuff has fallen behind in everything ...
_____

Well, you could ask 'Skybuck Flying'; he's always posting system specs here
B^)

On the other hand, you might get more apt advice if you post details of what
you want the system to do.

It's said that in the next quarter that Intel will make all the E6000 series
with 4 MBytes L2 cache.

But you might consider getting an E4300 1.8 GHz CPU; it uses a lower FSB
(800 MHz), so you can overclock it to 3 GHz or more, something that's hard
to do with a 1066 MHz FSB because DDR2 will not handle the speed increase
involved in overclocking an E6600 to the same speed.

Phil Weldon

Old March 12th 07, 07:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jethro

"Jethro" wrote in message
| I'm soliciting ideas and comments for my new PC build I'm about to start.
| My old Socket A AMD stuff has fallen behind in everything and work came
| through with some cash for me.. AND I have wife permission so it's all
| good. :-)
|
| Have been an AMD man for years now but seems they dropped the ball. I
| know it's a hard time to buy as so much is changing while waiting for
| AMD to counter Intel's latest offering.
|
| Anyway my initial upgrade specs. (Not ever looking at SLI)
|
| Intel E6600 Core2Duo
| Asus P5B-Deluxe
| OCZ 2GB PC2-6400 Dual channel
| BFG 8800GTS 640Mb (looking at the OC version but...) GTX probably too
| over the top
| 2 x WD 320GB SATAII 16MB buffer
|
| Existing to carry over Antec SLK1650B case with Antec Neo HE500W power
| supply. Worried it might not have the juice to run it.
|
| Thoughts/Comments/Suggestions?
| --
| Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
| Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com

Thanks Phil

After I posted I just assumed everyone would know that I wanted it for
gaming. :-) Darn telepathic attachment didn't work.
Straight up gaming is my focus but I also do video conversion from AVI
to DVD-Video when I want to watch something... you know.

I am always interested in OCing but in reality never get the time\energy
to do it all properly. With the issues of my current PC I tire of
playing with it and want to play ON it.

Old March 13th 07, 01:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
peter

Have you looked at the new Nvidea 680 chipset mobo??
MSI P6N diamond
Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6
ASUS P5N32-E-SLI
EVGA nForce 680i SLI

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2936

http://www4.tomshardware.com/2007/02...arison_part_2/

peter

Old March 13th 07, 01:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'peter' wrote:
| Have you looked at the new Nvidea 680 chipset mobo??
| MSI P6N diamond
| Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6
| ASUS P5N32-E-SLI
| EVGA nForce 680i SLI
_____

Yeah, as long as money is no object, then go for a motherboard that costs as
much as the CPU B^)

Phil Weldon

"peter" wrote in message
| Have you looked at the new Nvidea 680 chipset mobo??
| MSI P6N diamond
| Gigabyte GA-N680SLI-DQ6
| ASUS P5N32-E-SLI
| EVGA nForce 680i SLI
|
| http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2936

http://www4.tomshardware.com/2007/02...arison_part_2/

| peter
| "Jethro" wrote in message
| Phil Weldon wrote:
| 'Jethro' wrote, in part:
| | I'm soliciting ideas and comments for my new PC build I'm about to
| start.
| | My old Socket A AMD stuff has fallen behind in everything ...
| _____
|
| Well, you could ask 'Skybuck Flying'; he's always posting system specs
| here B^)
|
| On the other hand, you might get more apt advice if you post details of
| what you want the system to do.
|
| It's said that in the next quarter that Intel will make all the E6000
| series with 4 MBytes L2 cache.
|
| But you might consider getting an E4300 1.8 GHz CPU; it uses a lower
FSB
| (800 MHz), so you can overclock it to 3 GHz or more, something that's
| hard to do with a 1066 MHz FSB because DDR2 will not handle the speed
| increase involved in overclocking an E6600 to the same speed.
|
| Phil Weldon
|
| "Jethro" wrote in message
| | I'm soliciting ideas and comments for my new PC build I'm about to
| start.
| | My old Socket A AMD stuff has fallen behind in everything and work
came
| | through with some cash for me.. AND I have wife permission so it's
all
| | good. :-)
| |

Old March 13th 07, 11:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tecknomage

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:55:09 -0400, Jethro wrote:

I'm soliciting ideas and comments for my new PC build I'm about to start.
My old Socket A AMD stuff has fallen behind in everything and work came
through with some cash for me.. AND I have wife permission so it's all
good. :-)

Have been an AMD man for years now but seems they dropped the ball. I
know it's a hard time to buy as so much is changing while waiting for
AMD to counter Intel's latest offering.

Anyway my initial upgrade specs. (Not ever looking at SLI)

Intel E6600 Core2Duo
Asus P5B-Deluxe
OCZ 2GB PC2-6400 Dual channel
BFG 8800GTS 640Mb (looking at the OC version but...) GTX probably too
over the top
2 x WD 320GB SATAII 16MB buffer

Existing to carry over Antec SLK1650B case with Antec Neo HE500W power
supply. Worried it might not have the juice to run it.

Up the power supply, suggest 600w

Make sure the case has its own fan, and if you live in a hot-zone, 2
fans.

Going to partition the hard drives? I would.
Drive 0 - C: to 20gb for OS only, D: the remaining for applications
Drive 1 - 50% partitioning = E: & F: (I use these for games)
Also, I move "My Documents" to my D: so C: is a true OS only drive

You don't mention a CD drive, get a DVD-RW Dual Layer Recorder, my
choice is Memorex. Note Memorex supplies a NERO Essentials package
which is ****, pay for the full NERO 7 & make _sure_ to download any
update. Better, just buy & download from NERO and get the latest
version from the get-go.

Also, regarding Dual Core, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_core
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading
pay attention to the down-side. I am _not_ saying Dual Core
processors are bad, just be aware of what they are not.

--
==== Tecknomage ====
"A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking real
Old March 13th 07, 11:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

"Tecknomage" wrote in message

[...]

Intel E6600 Core2Duo
Asus P5B-Deluxe
OCZ 2GB PC2-6400 Dual channel
BFG 8800GTS 640Mb (looking at the OC version but...) GTX probably too
over the top
2 x WD 320GB SATAII 16MB buffer

Existing to carry over Antec SLK1650B case with Antec Neo HE500W
power supply. Worried it might not have the juice to run it.

Up the power supply, suggest 600w

********. Do you always pull PSU requirements out of your arse? The NeoHE
500 is rated at a real 42A 12v. You could run SLI 8800GTX with that
(running SLI 8800GTX with a 500W PSU has been demonstrated, BTW). A single
8800GTX pulls 145W (12.1A) peak in 3D mode according to Nvidia, the GTS
moderately less. The two HDs will pull close to 6A when spinning up (when
the video card is in 2D mode) but about 2A thereafter. The E6600 will draw
less than 6A (75W/12*0.9). That adds up to approximately 19A in my book
when you chuck in a couple of fans.

Old March 13th 07, 12:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
rmd[_2_]

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:55:09 -0400, Jethro wrote:

Intel E6600 Core2Duo
Asus P5B-Deluxe
OCZ 2GB PC2-6400 Dual channel
BFG 8800GTS 640Mb (looking at the OC version but...) GTX probably too
over the top
2 x WD 320GB SATAII 16MB buffer

Sounds a lot like my box i just built.

Except i have 3 gb ram
the 8800 gtx
1x wd 150gb raptor
4x 400gb sata ii 16mb buffer seagates in raid 0
pinnacle video capture
xfi extreme
24" acer lcd
coolmaster case with 9x 120mm fans

The core2duos run so cool. I've managed to overclock about
34% stock speed. rock solid stable and runs at 50C under 100% load on
both cores.

The raptor is the hottest component sitting on about 55C

Can finally play oblivion at 1920x1200, everything at full, HDR
with 4096x4096 texture mods, illuminate within mod, and a few
extra eye candy mods. Very playable. Only a few places it
transiently drops to low to mid 20's FPS. Usually sits on 30-50 FPS

There is too much blood in my alcohol system
Old March 13th 07, 12:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
rmd[_2_]

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:20:20 +0900, rmd
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:55:09 -0400, Jethro wrote:

Intel E6600 Core2Duo
Asus P5B-Deluxe
OCZ 2GB PC2-6400 Dual channel
BFG 8800GTS 640Mb (looking at the OC version but...) GTX probably too
over the top
2 x WD 320GB SATAII 16MB buffer

Sounds a lot like my box i just built.

Except i have 3 gb ram
the 8800 gtx
1x wd 150gb raptor
4x 400gb sata ii 16mb buffer seagates in raid 0
pinnacle video capture
xfi extreme
24" acer lcd
coolmaster case with 9x 120mm fans

Forgot to mention 750W silverstone powersupply
thermaltake cpu cooler (forget the exact model)
pioneer dvdrw and sony dvdrom

There is too much blood in my alcohol system
Old March 13th 07, 06:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'DRS' wrote, in part:
| The E6600 will draw less than 6A (75W/12*0.9). That adds up to
approximately
| 19A in my book when you chuck in a couple of fans.
_____

I agree that many are too quick to blindly follow display adapter
manufacturer recommendations for power supply capacity.
But why (75W/12*0.9) for the display adapter draw from the power supply 12
volt rail? What is the 0.9? If anything, the demand on the 12 VDC rail
should be closer to ((75W/12V)/ 80% conversion efficiency) = 7.45 Amperes.
That still doesn't change your total significantly.

Phil Weldon