inspiron 8600 video issues

Old December 18th 05, 04:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default inspiron 8600 video issues

Yesterday I had a probelm with my 8600. When I went to boot I had no
raster--just a blank screen. The machine turned on and when it started
that I was faced with a blank screen. I then hooked the laptop to my
syncmaster 174v and had no problems booting normally with video--still no
video on the laptop though. After repeating this process I booted into bios
and after several minutes of going through the bios screens and not altering
any settings, the lap top video came up full while the syncmaster went
blank.

I don't know what triggered this instantanious resetting and since that time
the laptop has been booting normally.

Any insights into this quandry would be greatly appreciated.

Old December 18th 05, 06:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

I've heard of (and seen) I-8600's with burned video cards and the
customer said smoke came out. It is possibly a fire hazard. Just
wanted to warn you

Old December 19th 05, 03:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Thanx for the response. Did the f8 trick to no avail. The really odd thing
is that once I entered the bios the video did switch from the computer back
to the laptop but I did absolutely noting (made no changes to the
configuration other then entering the bios).

D thanx about the heads up on the video card. Will be looking for smoke.