Help with new build not starting.

Old July 2nd 14, 10:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Drake

Default Help with new build not starting.

I put a system together to run bare bones until I get used to using the
BIOS and decide on what additional hardware I'll go with. So far I have
the components assembled on a test case.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=computer+test+case

I went with Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H

Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Low Profile 32GB Kit

SILVERSTONE Strider Plus ST50F-P 500W ATX 12V v2.3 & EPS 12V 80 PLUS
BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

I know the PSU will ultimately be twice what I am using now. I just
wanted to get this to boot but what I see is the CPU fan start and stop
and start over and over. Nothing past that. My first thoughts were to go
with a 1000 W hoping that is all it could be. However I am also
wondering it I somehow missed something else like not installing a
graphics card. This board says it has on board graphics to I plugged in
two monitors. This board supports up to three. This is not my first
build and have never had any troubles in the past but things were much
simpler until I tacked this board.

At first glance can anyone see anything I am not assuming the wiring is
correct. One cable to the board seems to be all I need. I removed
connections to SSD and DVD. I have the mouse and KB connected right as
the UBS ports are marked. The monitors are a no brainer. I don't have a
mobo speaker so I can't hear any beeps. Should I get one and try to go
from there? I press the delete key but no bios appears.

Any help would be appreciated. I wanted thoughts from posters here
before I started asking for support from the board manufacturer. I'm
sure the CPU is seated as I heard the clicks, looks good from the other
side and plenty of grease was applied.

TIA.

Al.

Old July 2nd 14, 11:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Grinder

On 7/2/2014 4:45 PM, Al Drake wrote:
[...]

That board has graphics if a CPU with an integrated GPU is installed.
It has video connectors, but no GPU. NewEgg describes it like this:

[ Onboard Video ]
Onboard Video Chipset: Supported only by CPU with integrated graphic

That CPU does not have an integrated GPU.

Old July 2nd 14, 11:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Drake

On 7/2/2014 6:37 PM, Grinder wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much. I read the entire board manual several times and
somehow missed that. I knew I came to the right place. I'm still waiting
for my registration on other forums to be validated.

Regards.

Al

Old July 3rd 14, 12:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Drake

[...]

OK next question if I may. I installed a g-card and nothing changed.
Also am I to understand that I need an OS to load G-card drivers?
Backing up I still need to get past the BIOS what is not happening.

Old July 3rd 14, 12:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Grinder wrote:
[...]

http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/...40-GHz?q=4790k

"Processor Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4600
Graphics Base Frequency 350 MHz
Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency 1.25 GHz
"

Yes, it has graphics.

*******

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-down....aspx?pid=4950

The selected processor (4790K), is the only processor
requiring F7 BIOS version.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz 8MB 1250 MHz Haswell Refresh 22nm C0 88W 100MHz F7 ---

See if there is a sticker with details of the BIOS version on it.
It could be at "F5" version right now.

Paul
Old July 3rd 14, 12:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Grinder

Good catch, Paul. Sorry about that Al.
Old July 3rd 14, 01:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Drake

On 7/2/2014 7:26 PM, Paul wrote:
Grinder wrote:
[...]

I don't see anything that clearly indicates a BIOS version unless it
is in a code digit somewhere. I bought this specific CPU as it was
recommended as compatible. I'm unsure about installing the required BIOS
version if that's what I need to do.

What are your suggestions?

Old July 3rd 14, 01:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Drake

On 7/2/2014 7:29 PM, Grinder wrote:
Good catch, Paul. Sorry about that Al.

No problem.

Old July 3rd 14, 02:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 02 Jul 2014 17:45:18 -0400, Al Drake
wrote:

[...]

Nasty, nasty...
If you bought the wrong CPU, (aside from a MB and heatsink fan that
briefly spins - however logically then it would), and as in but for
sure that MB does not support your CPU - until you FLASH the BIOS,
well then - it for sure will, unmistakably, once the updated BIOS sees
that CPU and brings it up, all barrels blazing.

Which means you've got to find a CPU, anything that will work with
that MB, so the MB is Up & Running - In Order to initiate and peform
the BIOS update.

Better than a CPU which is totally unsupported. I once refused
delivery from an outfit which wanted to play games when I asked them
about a MB and whether or not the BIOS was updated for the CPU I also
bought from them.

They suggested I go to BestBuy and buy a CPU to flash it, then return
the CPU & get refunded from BestBuy. Just in case they may have sent
an older board revision BIOS. For sure it's helpful when people are
so helpful.

But, boy, were they ****ed about eating shipping costs when I refused
their delivery.
Old July 3rd 14, 02:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Al Drake

wrote:

[...]

Both these items are new with no chance of either being older
versions. They both same out the end of this month if I'm not mistaken.
Also if I'm not wrong both are non-refundable so I have to somehow
determine if either are defective.

It seems that I have to search for anything that shows the results I'm
getting and see what might be the cause.

Starting new build .. mobo ? johns Homebuilt PC's 2 September 27th 11 06:41 PM
Computer not starting after build rarewolf Homebuilt PC's 6 April 8th 08 01:21 PM
PC not starting LipLopT Homebuilt PC's 2 June 20th 07 12:47 AM
SWsoft Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0 Build 508, Acronis OS Selector 8.0 Build 917, Acronis Partition Expert 2003 Build 292, Acronis Power Utilities 2004 Build 502, F-SECURE.ANTI vIRUS.PROXY v1.10.17.WINALL, F-SECURE.ANTI vIRUS v5.50.10260 for CITRI vvcd Storage (alternative) 3 December 4th 05 11:46 AM
G6-333; needs some help starting up Sharon Gateway Computers 1 August 8th 03 09:52 PM