Help: How to install Intel Matrix Storage raid controller on existing XP installation?

Old October 18th 08, 05:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Beemer

Default Help: How to install Intel Matrix Storage raid controller on existing XP installation?

I have a GA EP45-DS3P motherboard and now have installed XP Pro SP3. I now
want to add a RAID 1 pair of drives just for data storage. Despite reading
the GA manual several times I cannot see how to install the Intel Matrix
Storage raid controller in the following structu

- Windows is on a separate non-raid drive
- I have connected two new identical SATA drives and fomatted them NTFS.
These will be used as a RAID1 pair for data storage only.
- I have found the Intel Matrix Storage raid controller file in the GA
support disk but the manual does not say how this can be installed IN AN
EXISTING XP installation.

Hope someone can advise.

regards,

Beemer

Old October 18th 08, 08:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Beemer wrote:
I have a GA EP45-DS3P motherboard and now have installed XP Pro SP3. I now
want to add a RAID 1 pair of drives just for data storage. Despite reading
the GA manual several times I cannot see how to install the Intel Matrix
Storage raid controller in the following structu

- Windows is on a separate non-raid drive
- I have connected two new identical SATA drives and fomatted them NTFS.
These will be used as a RAID1 pair for data storage only.
- I have found the Intel Matrix Storage raid controller file in the GA
support disk but the manual does not say how this can be installed IN AN
EXISTING XP installation.

Hope someone can advise.

regards,

Beemer

The procedure seems to have changed a bit along the way.
At one time, you'd have to install the RAID driver, if
you intended to do a RAID array at any future date. One
way to do that, would be to do a repair install, press
F6 during the install, and offer a RAID driver.

But this article claims you can set the motherboard to
AHCI mode, and at some future date do RAID. I don't
see how that is possible (I mean, if the motherboard
is in AHCI mode, would the BIOS RAID setup module
be present ?)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ON,1594-3.html

They seem to be doing something similar here.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipset.../CS-021701.htm

I'd have to download a few drivers, and start comparing
them, to see what commonality there is between AHCI and
RAID, on the Intel stuff.

I'd guess it would take a repair install, to change drivers,
but I don't know which mode you selected to put Windows
on there. If you used the Gigabyte BIOS default, that probably
uses the IDE mode.

I'm so confused...

I hate when a recipe keeps changing.

Paul
Old October 19th 08, 09:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Beemer

"Paul" wrote in message ...
Beemer wrote:
[...]

Paul,

I also am confused. Surely if the windows disk is not in the raid then I
should be able to install the raid driver in it? I really do not want to
start the repair install process.

It is like that Giga-Byte have walked away from helping set up raid drivers
unless its done at the time of windows installation. Even their Support
disk has no menu directing to raid setup.

regards,

Beemer