Okay, last question about 2600+ xp

Old August 27th 04, 07:58 AM
David Simmons

Default Okay, last question about 2600+ xp

Here's what started the whole thing. My invoice from the guy who put my
system together lists the processor as follows:

AMD ATHLON XP 2600CPU (2.13 GHZ)

You can understand my confusion and rising frustration to find that the Ghz
rating is not accurate. Through the gracious help of individuals here I've
determined that the chip is in fact a Barton Model 10, which runs at 1.92
Ghz (thanks for the fix on that, BTW!). However, my invoice leads me to
believe that it should have been a Thoroughbred Model 8 which runs at
exactly 2.13 GHz.

When I asked Tony (the guy who built the system and runs the business) about
this today he said it was a "typo." My shock at such a dismissive response
didn't really register with me until later, but now the more I think about
this, the madder I get. This guy just doesn't seem interested at all in
explaining the situation to my satisfaction. My father has been a patron of
Tony's business for awhile, and we're planning to talk to him tomorrow about
this problem. I'd like to get your suggestions as to how we should approach
the situation. I don't want to have to resort to legal action, but I just
can't shake the feeling that Tony thinks he can screw me because I just
don't know enough about these things.

David Simmons

Old August 27th 04, 08:04 AM
David Simmons

The documentation that I received for the CPU (which came in the box for the
motherboard) says nothing about the actual model type of the processor. I
want to record the serial # on my Warranty Booklet and it says it should be
under the barcode on the attached sticker, but I can't find the sticker.
I'm assuming that this sticker would say what Model # the 2600 actually is?
The fact that the sticker is missing is something else that's suspicious to
me.

David Simmons

Old August 27th 04, 08:20 AM
rstlne

"David Simmons" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

I think you have too much time on your hands to complain abou this..
You got a 2600+ Amd AXP
His paperwork said a Model 8 2600+ Amd AXP..
It should have said a Model 10 2600+ Amd AXP..
The Model 10 probably cost more than the model 8 so I would be tempted to
take him to court too.. How dare that ******* give you a product that's 5$
more for the same price..

Old August 27th 04, 08:54 AM
Canus_Lupis

Name AMD Athlon XP
Code name Barton
Clock Speed 1533.4 MHz XX this is wrong
Clock multiplier x11.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 133.3 MHz XX this is wrong
Bus Speed 266.7 MHz XX this is wrong
L2 Cache 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64 Bytes line size

Your chippie is a Barton 2600 with the L2 cache of 512Kb.
All you need to do is go into bios and set the bus speed at 166/33 (

2x166=
333 FSB) and it will fly right.

Old August 27th 04, 09:18 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 06:58:33 +0000, David Simmons wrote:

[...]

What you got is a better cpu than the Tbred 2600+. It has the same core as
the Tbred, but has twice the L2 cache. Now you can run the cpu you got at
`2133 MHZ if you want, but you couldn't double the cache if you had gotten
a Tbred 2600+. And the Tbred 2600+ with the 166Mhz FSB only runs at
2083MHz at default speed. At that speed, your cpu would be rated as a
3000+ because of the cache size. In short, be happy you got a better CPU
than you paid for. If you still aren't happy, I'd be willing to trade you
my Tbred for your Barton core even up.:-)

Old August 27th 04, 09:27 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 07:04:54 +0000, David Simmons wrote:

The documentation that I received for the CPU (which came in the box for the
motherboard) says nothing about the actual model type of the processor. I
want to record the serial # on my Warranty Booklet and it says it should be
under the barcode on the attached sticker, but I can't find the sticker.
I'm assuming that this sticker would say what Model # the 2600 actually is?
The fact that the sticker is missing is something else that's suspicious to
me.

Don't know about stickers, but if you take the cooler off and look at the
cpu label, the model number is the first part. It should be AXDA2600DKV4D.
if you want to know what all these numbers mean, look here.

http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html

Old August 27th 04, 10:38 AM
Wes Newell

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 08:18:10 +0000, Wes Newell wrote:

[...]

That should have read 2800+, not 3000+. Sorry.

Old August 27th 04, 01:28 PM
Scumball

So can we sum this up ?

The guy got a CPU sold as a 2600+ that runs at a speed indicating that it's
a what ?

newsan.2004.08.27.09.37.56.519008@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old August 27th 04, 05:59 PM
David Simmons

What you got is a better cpu than the Tbred 2600+. It has the same core as
the Tbred, but has twice the L2 cache. Now you can run the cpu you got at
`2133 MHZ if you want, but you couldn't double the cache if you had gotten
a Tbred 2600+. And the Tbred 2600+ with the 166Mhz FSB only runs at
2083MHz at default speed. At that speed, your cpu would be rated as a
3000+ because of the cache size. In short, be happy you got a better CPU
than you paid for. If you still aren't happy, I'd be willing to trade you
my Tbred for your Barton core even up.:-)

Ha! Okay, so can you direct me to a website that will tell me how to run it
at 2.13, and will doing that necessitate spending more money?

Dave

Old August 27th 04, 06:28 PM
David Simmons

I think you have too much time on your hands to complain abou this..
You got a 2600+ Amd AXP

I believe you mean an Amd Athlon 2600+ XP, not AXP.

His paperwork said a Model 8 2600+ Amd AXP..

His invoice said "Amd Athlon 2600+ XP (2.13 Ghz)" which, according to my
findings on the net, would indicate that it's a Thoroughbred Model 8.

It should have said a Model 10 2600+ Amd AXP..

Mine was underclocked at 1.53 Ghz. Through the help of people here, I was
able to up the FSB speed from 133 to 166 so that it now runs at 1.93 Ghz,
which means it's a Barton Model 10, so there is a difference.

The Model 10 probably cost more than the model 8 so I would be tempted to
take him to court too.. How dare that ******* give you a product that's 5$
more for the same price..

Nice to see you have such a benevelent and gracious attitude towards people
who don't know as much as you do. I'm just trying to educate myself here to
make sure I'm not being sold something that I didn't want, which fortunately
turns out not to be the case. Tony's just not very good at talking to
people, and neither are you!

Dave