Is Swiftech MCX462 PLUS any good?

Old June 29th 03, 02:04 AM
S.Heenan

Default Is Swiftech MCX462 PLUS any good?

Antti wrote:
Hi there!

Currently I have a Spire Falconrock with a 80mm fan and my CPU (XP
2400+) runs a bit too high for what I thing would be good. Idle temp
is 58C. Oh, the mobo is a A7N8X Dx 1.04 with latest bios and QFan
enabled.

I was looking for a better/best HSF solution and came across this
MCX462 Plus by Swiftech. Any opinions? Is it as good as those
'reliable' test say? At least the price is three times of the HSF I'm
using now. Is quality expensive in this case too?

More info on manufacturers site:
http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcx462plus.asp

Antti, Finland

Swiftech makes very good heatsinks by any standard. Have you tried refitting
your Falconrock with fresh thermal compound ? 58°C sounds pretty high. What
are the case and ambient (room) temperatures when the CPU hits 58C ?

Old June 29th 03, 02:44 AM
OverKlocker

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:41:55 +0300, "Antti"
wrote:

Hi there!

Currently I have a Spire Falconrock with a 80mm fan and my CPU (XP 2400+)
runs a bit too high for what I thing would be good. Idle temp is 58C. Oh,
the mobo is a A7N8X Dx 1.04 with latest bios and QFan enabled.

I was looking for a better/best HSF solution and came across this MCX462
Plus by Swiftech. Any opinions? Is it as good as those 'reliable' test say?
At least the price is three times of the HSF I'm using now. Is quality
expensive in this case too?

More info on manufacturers site:
http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcx462plus.asp

Antti, Finland

i had one of the swiftech hsf on my a7n8x delux, but i got tired of
unbolting everything just to change the processor. i went with a
thermalright slk 800 (using the 80mm fan that originally came on my
462a rev1). the 800slk cools like a mother fukker, and i can leave my
motherboard in place if i wanna swap out my hsf. just my 2 cents...
Old June 29th 03, 04:58 AM
SST

same here, the swiftech is one of the best but the SLK800 is better and
easier to use.

I'm using an SLK900u right now and its even better still.

Old June 29th 03, 07:29 PM
Antti

i had one of the swiftech hsf on my a7n8x delux, but i got tired of
unbolting everything just to change the processor. i went with a
thermalright slk 800 (using the 80mm fan that originally came on my
462a rev1). the 800slk cools like a mother fukker, and i can leave my
motherboard in place if i wanna swap out my hsf. just my 2 cents...

Yes, I know that I have to turn some bolts to change my CPU but I suspect
it's not gonna happen very often so it's not the first feature in my list. I
just want to have a good HSF. So which is better? SLK800 or MCX462+?

Antti