Will this PS (EG365AX-VE) work with a GA-EP35 motherboard?

Old September 24th 08, 07:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
shawn

Default Will this PS (EG365AX-VE) work with a GA-EP35 motherboard?

I'm looking to upgrade my system from the current P4 to a new C2D
based around an E7200 and a Gigabyte GA-EP35 motherboard. It will also
have a low end video card (probably an ATI 4670), probably 2GB of
PC6400 RAM, a HD and a CDROM drive.

That's a fairly low power system so I'm wondering if I can use my old
power supply (an Enermax EG365AX-VE ATX V1.2). I know it has enough
power (350Watts) but I don't know if it will work with the Gigabyte
GA-EP35. Does anyone know if this will work with the EP35 or does it
not have the proper connectors?

Old September 25th 08, 04:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

shawn wrote:
I'm looking to upgrade my system from the current P4 to a new C2D
based around an E7200 and a Gigabyte GA-EP35 motherboard. It will also
have a low end video card (probably an ATI 4670), probably 2GB of
PC6400 RAM, a HD and a CDROM drive.

That's a fairly low power system so I'm wondering if I can use my old
power supply (an Enermax EG365AX-VE ATX V1.2). I know it has enough
power (350Watts) but I don't know if it will work with the Gigabyte
GA-EP35. Does anyone know if this will work with the EP35 or does it
not have the proper connectors?

The 4670 is listed here as 59W. I'd prefer to get an actual
measurement (xbitlabs.com), but they take their time when
new stuff comes out.

EG365AX-VE
+3.3V @ 32A; +5V @ 32A; -5V @ 1A; +12V @ 26A; -12V @ 1A; +5VSB @ 2.2A

E7200 is 65W TDP, and the real power might depend on what kind of
overclocking you'll be attempting.

I'd say you're at 13.6A from the 12V rail. That gives 163.2W when
multiplied together. Add 50W for the motherboard and RAM, 12.5W
for the 5V rail on the drives, and 10W for standby (+5VSB), brings
the total power to 235.7W. I don't see a problem here.

Paul
Old September 25th 08, 04:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Paul wrote:
shawn wrote:
[...]

Forgot the link to the video card.

ATi Radeon HD 4670 - 59W
http://www.gpureview.com/Radeon-HD-4670-card-579.html

Paul
Old September 25th 08, 04:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
shawn

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 23:40:24 -0400, Paul wrote:

Paul wrote:
shawn wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the response and confirming what I already had read. That
doesn't address the real issue that I was getting at which is what
type of power connector does the motherboard need. The PS is an older
ATX power supply and I know the spec has changed over the years so I'm
not sure if the Enermax PS will work with a new C2D motherboard.
Old September 25th 08, 07:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul

Paul wrote:
shawn wrote:
[...]

You can plug a 20 pin main connector, into a 24 pin motherboard.

The ATX12V 2x2 connector should be the same. If there was a 2x4
ATX12V on the motherboard, you could plug a 2x2 into the marked
pins (when a 2x4 ships, usually four of the pins are covered and
four are exposed).

The deal with the main connector is

1) The 24 pins have four extra pins, and their job is to carry
extra current. All the same rails are present, so that part
hasn't changed. (No new voltages were introduced.)

2) The most important of the pins on the extra ones, is the
12V pin. When using a 24 pin connector, you have two 12V
wires total. Two wires at 6 amps carrying capacity each,
would be 12A that could flow to the motherboard if needed.
That helps with heavy 12V motherboard loading.

3) PCI Express motherboards have 12V wired to each socket. The
socket can supply up to 5A, of which the largest current
flow I've seen is 4.35 amps to a video card. If you hook
up a 20 pin supply, have one video card installed, and the
video card happens to max out the slot power, then you're
drawing 4.35 amps plus about 0.5A for fan current, which
is less than the 6 amp rating of the single 12V pin on the
20 pin connector.

In summary, if you are running an SLI or Crossfire setup, you
may want to purchase a 24 pin power supply for your 24 pin
motherboard. If the motherboard is only going to have a
single video card, then you can survive using a 20 pin
connector (and reusing the old supply).

Could the rules be violated ? Sure. Someday, someone will
invent a smaller PCI Express x1 card, that draws tons of
amps. That could upset my assumptions above. But as long
as such a card does not exist (and new cards are not being
introduced at any great rate), the "one video card, 20 pin
connector is safe" rule would seem to apply.

In terms of alignment, pin 1 of the 20 pin power supply,
goes to pin 1 of the 24 pin motherboard socket. All the
unused pins, would be to one side of the connector. The
shaped connector pins, should help assure you they're going
in the correct holes. The latch won't necessarily align
and work properly, depending on its width.

1 10
| |
| |
1 12