G-6 350 mhz upgrade

Old May 8th 05, 05:51 PM
WackoRay

Default G-6 350 mhz upgrade

I got 2 g-6 35o mhz with 10 gig hd, Pentium II mb can I upgrade the system?
Is it worth it? And if it is what will I need?

Thanks
Ray

Old May 9th 05, 12:31 AM
Bill McBride

I upgraded my g6-400 with a Powerleap 1.4GHz processor, 40GB hard disk,
512MB RAM, a CD-RW, and Windows XP a couple of years ago and I've been very
happy with it. It's not good for playing new games but it does well enough
for Word Processing, Internet, Basic Photo Editing, and other general
tasks.

If I were starting out with the stock G6-400 today I would just buy a new
PC. It cost me about:

$80 CD-RW
$80 HDD
$120 384MB RAM
$160 CPU Upgrade
$80 Windows XP Upgrade

Total $500. You can get a much better PC than what I have for $5-600
today. The above parts are probably cheaper today with the exception of the
memory and Windows XP so if money is tight the upgrade might be better. I
think you can get the Powerleap 1.4GHz CPU for about $100. That made the
most notable performance difference in my system.

-Bill

Old May 9th 05, 02:08 AM
Ben Myers

The motherboard is likely an Intel-made SE440BX, for which the top CPU is 450 or
500MHz Pentium II, almost not worth the bother. If the motherboard is an
SE440BX-2, top speed is 600MHz Pentium III operating at 2.0v with 100MHz front
side bus. The latter will improve the responsiveness of the computer. So will
a memory upgrade.

PowerLeap kits take the speed up to 1.4GHz at a significant cost, more than
$100.

Is it worth it? What do the parts cost? I would not sink more than $40 or $50
into upgrades, as the computer itself has a very low resale value. The main
thing here is that you will be able to keep the computer going and use all the
programs installed on it, as well as your own personal data... Ben Myers

Old May 9th 05, 09:36 PM
WackoRay

GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
PhoenixBios 4.0 Release 6.0
4M4PBOX1.15A.023.P13

Ok Thanks Kevin, Bill, Ben.

Old May 9th 05, 09:58 PM
Ben Myers

That's an Intel-made MP440BX motherboard. Not sure what the exact limits are.
The board was made more or less special for Gateway, but it does not differ
markedly from the generic SE440BX... Ben Myers

Old May 9th 05, 11:02 PM
WackoRay

Thanks Ben.
So I think I'll just invest in a new sysytem then.
Ray

Old May 10th 05, 04:44 AM
gdp

WackoRay wrote:
GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
PhoenixBios 4.0 Release 6.0
4M4PBOX1.15A.023.P13

We upgraded 3 of these at work to 1.4 GHz Tualatin Celerons. Made a big
difference in the apps we run. It was worth it to us, but only you can
be the judge as to whether it is worth it to you.
Old May 22nd 05, 10:32 PM
Macfanatic867

Hey I know this is after the fact but I have a very similar system to
the one RayWacko has. I have a Gateway G6 350 mhz manufactured in
december of 98 which I picked up for free. I would like to upgrade
the processor to a 550 mhz or a 600 mhz. The motherboard is a
MP440BX intel motherboard with a Bios Version 4M4PBOX1.15A.0018.P09.
My question is if the bios would recognize the Pentium III 550 mhz
processor model #SL3F7 or if I would need to upgrade the BIOS. I am
fairly certain, other than the BIOS, it should be compatiblity
because they both use a SLOT 1 socket for the processors. I think
that's all, what do you all think? Any special things to consider?

Old June 29th 05, 04:06 AM
Wacko

I kept debating and finally I settled on trying the 1.2 GHz Tualatin
Celeron.
Piece of cake to install.
I added the max memory, up to 384 & replaced that bucket of bolts Maxtor
10 gig hd with a western digital 250 gig hd.
I like it! Big improvement over what it was like. the difference is like
night & day.
Well worth the upgrade as far as I am concerned.