Here's a "stumper"

Old July 1st 03, 06:46 AM
Justin Kremer

Default Here's a "stumper"

Hello all,

I'm running a fairly new system with an IBM Deskstar 180GXP (8MB cache), P4
3.06GHz, 1 GB dual-channel DDR, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, Koolance water-cooled
case.
The problem I've been encountering is I'm unable to burn CDs at the maximum
speed of my CDRW drive - Liteon 48x12x48x. When I ran a SpeedTest within
Nero I was shocked to see the read speed would only PEAK around 24x and
normally stayed around 22-23x.
I've tried a defrag and also different OS - same result within WinXP SP1a &
Win2K SP4, and Scandisk reports no errors.
At one point I was able to burn at top speed. The only things that I have
done in the interim are transported the PC about 2,000 miles in my car
during relocation and also filled quite a bit of the drive. I still have
27GB remaining on the drive, however this equals approximately 75% full.
HDTach reports random access time 13ms, read burst speed 80MB/s, read speed
avg. 45MB/s. My HDD is Primary Master, CDRW Secondary Master.

Any suggestions to further troubleshoot this issue would be greatly
appreciated. Also anyone who has experienced similar situations please
advise.
Response via e-mail please remove XREMOVEX from address.

TIA
--
Justin

P.S. I am a tech support representative for a major PC manufacturer so I
certainly am not a novice at troubleshooting - this has got me stumped!

Old July 1st 03, 07:13 AM
J.Clarke

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 01:46:35 -0400
"Justin Kremer" wrote:

[...]

Is DMA turned on in XP?

Any suggestions to further troubleshoot this issue would be greatly
appreciated. Also anyone who has experienced similar situations
please advise.
Response via e-mail please remove XREMOVEX from address.

TIA
--
Justin

P.S. I am a tech support representative for a major PC manufacturer so
I certainly am not a novice at troubleshooting - this has got me
stumped!

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old July 1st 03, 03:06 PM
Justin Kremer

"J.Clarke" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 01:46:35 -0400
"Justin Kremer" wrote:

[...]

Yep.

snip
--
Justin

Old July 1st 03, 03:32 PM
Justin Kremer

Here's a little update:
I ran CHKDSK /R last night and am now able to get about 30MB/sec in Nero.
This is odd as Scandisk didn't report any errors.

Is my drive starting to die? I have noticed a pronounced click sound which
may be a bad head, but I'm hesitant to jump to that conclusion as the drive
is only 2 months old.

--
Justin

&

Old July 1st 03, 03:46 PM
Will Dormann

Justin Kremer wrote:
Is my drive starting to die? I have noticed a pronounced click sound which
may be a bad head, but I'm hesitant to jump to that conclusion as the drive
is only 2 months old.

A clunking sound on an HD is usually an indication of impending death,
since it's the sound a drive makes when recalibrating after a read error.

-WD

Old July 1st 03, 07:24 PM
Rod Speed

Justin Kremer wrote in
message ...

Here's a little update:
I ran CHKDSK /R last night and am now able to get about 30MB/sec
in Nero. This is odd as Scandisk didn't report any errors.

Is my drive starting to die? I have noticed a pronounced
click sound which may be a bad head, but I'm hesitant to
jump to that conclusion as the drive is only 2 months old.

It is however an IBM GXP. They dont call them DeathStars for nothing.

That click is the drive recalibrating when it sees a read error.

Make sure that SMART is enabled in the bios, run an active SMART
reporter like HDD Health as well, and make sure that everything that
you'll slash your wrists if you lose has been written to more than one CDR.

Old July 1st 03, 07:30 PM
Neil Maxwell

wrote:

Any suggestions to further troubleshoot this issue would be greatly
appreciated. Also anyone who has experienced similar situations please
advise.

I've had problems with anti-virus software slowing down the apparent
read speed as it checks all the files out. Some files will slow it to
a crawl, causing underruns, but the performance problems are very
uneven, and not across the entire contents of the CD.

You could try turning off any AV software, or try writing to an image
first, then burning.

Old July 1st 03, 09:53 PM
Justin Kremer

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I spoke to IBM/Hitachi today and they will replace the drive however they
don't offer an advance RMA - even if I provide a credit card #. That's some
B.S. - they should be much more accommodating seeing as this drive is just 2
months old.
*** DO NOT BUY AN IBM/HITACHI DESKSTAR!!!!!!! ***

Everything that's of importance to me was backed up long ago.

--
Justin

Old July 1st 03, 11:29 PM
Rod Speed

Justin Kremer wrote in
message ...

Any recommendations on a new drive with comparable features?

I like the WDs myself. Main downsides are that its one of the last
of the drives to not have fluid bearings, doesnt have a SMART
temperature sensor, and has a different jumper config when its
the only drive on the ribbon cable if you arent using cable select.

I do like the 8MB cache, when the drive was working it was blazing fast.

Please don't say Maxtor... LOL

Yeah, I avoid them myself.

I know that every manufacturer is going to have it's handful
of horror stories - any manufacturer with fewer than most?

That appears to be WD and Samsung currently.

Samsung has just released a new range, so I'd personally
avoid them for the moment, just to see how they go. And
they can be quite hard to find amoungst the mainstream.

Seagate Barracudas get too hot for my taste unless you
have a decent airflow over the drives and I prefer a quiet
system, so choose to avoid having a fan for the drives.

I'm actually considering the Western
Digital Caviar 8MB cache drive.

Thats what I'd get myself currently.

Please...everyone, opinions please.

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Justin Kremer wrote in
message ...

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I spoke to IBM/Hitachi today and they will replace the drive however
they don't offer an advance RMA - even if I provide a credit card #.

Yeah, thats always been one big downside with that operation.

Stupid approach.

That's some B.S. - they should be much more
accommodating seeing as this drive is just 2 months old.

Yep, and make sure you pack it properly, otherwise they will
just tell you that you have voided your warranty and shaft you.

*** DO NOT BUY AN IBM/HITACHI DESKSTAR!!!!!!! ***

I wouldnt even take one as a free gift myself.

Old July 1st 03, 11:32 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Will Dormann" wrote in message .. .
Justin Kremer wrote:
Is my drive starting to die? I have noticed a pronounced click sound which
may be a bad head, but I'm hesitant to jump to that conclusion as the drive
is only 2 months old.

A clunking sound on an HD is usually an indication of impending death,
since it's the sound a drive makes when recalibrating after a read error.

While a dieing drive may clunck, that isn't to say that a clucking drive
must be dieing. Read errors can be induced and that isn't just limited to
whacking it (destructive). Other causes are nondestructive and can be
recovered from, as chckdsk /r demonstrated.

-WD