System Volume Info Corrupt???

Old June 30th 03, 03:27 AM
Ian Hubbard

Default System Volume Info Corrupt???

Hi All,

I'm running Windows 2000 on 2 of my systems and I switched one
hard-drive (allocated E) from the first machine to the second machine
which contained one HDD broken into 4 partitions (allocated C, D, E
and F). When I booted the system up, the new drive had been
reallocated to G (which is what I expected and I assume is what is
supposed to happen). However the problem lies in the fact that the 3rd
partition (E) in the second machine suddenly displayed as being
unformatted.

After looking around for a while (in MMC - Disk Management etc), I
booted the system using a Win98 Boot Disk and found the partition and
contents to be in perfect order. I am assuming from this that the
system volume info has become corrupt and I'm wondering if there is
any way of fixing it.

Running Chkdsk, Scandisk and FDisk all show the drive as being fine
and having no problems, however when I boot it into Win2000, windows
and all the assorted utilities report the drive as being unformatted.
The interesting thing is that Power Quest Partition Magic 7 for DOS
also reports the partition as being unformatted.
I have created a backup of the drive (all 12gb) via Xcopy in Dos
(Win98), however this has all the file names (about 3200 files) in 8.3
format.

If anyone has any ideas on what the problem is and how I can either
fix it or recover the data with full file names, I'd be greatly
appreciative.

Regards,
Ian Hubbard.