Best Photo Quality for around $200

Old November 30th 03, 02:17 PM
Len Robbins

Default Best Photo Quality for around $200

I'm trying to help a friend find the best photo quality printer for around
$200. Any suggestions? As for myself, I have a Canon S800 (discontinued now)
that I'm totally happy with. I don't like the idea of changing cartridges on
the HP's for photo quality and I've heard that they go through cartridges
like water. I'm not sure if the Epsons still have a problem with their print
heads. I really haven't been paying attention to what's out in the
marketplace now.

Thanks,
Len

--
Folk Art from Around the World
www.thefolkartgallery.com

Old November 30th 03, 09:33 PM
DF

Hands down for the Canon i960. Low ink cost and individual color
replacement makes this a winner
go to
http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCpr...ec tion=10214
for product details. I own the Canon i860 for about $50 less. Both are
GREAT for photos or text.

"Len Robbins" wrote in message
I'm trying to help a friend find the best photo quality printer for around
$200. Any suggestions? As for myself, I have a Canon S800 (discontinued

now)
that I'm totally happy with. I don't like the idea of changing cartridges

on
the HP's for photo quality and I've heard that they go through cartridges
like water. I'm not sure if the Epsons still have a problem with their

print
heads. I really haven't been paying attention to what's out in the
marketplace now.

Thanks,
Len

--
Folk Art from Around the World
www.thefolkartgallery.com

---

Old December 1st 03, 03:49 PM
Ray R

"Joel" wrote in message
"Len Robbins" wrote:

I'm trying to help a friend find the best photo quality printer for around
$200. Any suggestions? As for myself, I have a Canon S800 (discontinued now)
that I'm totally happy with. I don't like the idea of changing cartridges on
the HP's for photo quality and I've heard that they go through cartridges
like water. I'm not sure if the Epsons still have a problem with their print
heads. I really haven't been paying attention to what's out in the
marketplace now.

Thanks,
Len

Me, I just do my printing at SAM's Club 4x6" for 19 cents a pop
(Wal-Mart charges 26 cents for 4x6" or $2.86 for 8x10"). It seems
cheaper than paying for ink, photo paper, and the photo will last much
longer.

I have a Canon i850. The cost of ink for a 8.5 x 11 photo is 2 cents
when I refill. Quality is much better than either Sam's or WalMart.
Glossy photo paper is about 35 cents per page, matte is about half
that.

If you want to get cheap print then I would suggest to go with Epson
cuz you can get OEM catridge for around $3-4 a pop comparing to the
original $20-25, or HP ink cartridge costs around $30 average (some
cheaper some more expensive) unless your friend refill his/her ink.

Old December 2nd 03, 09:11 PM
Ray R

"Joel" wrote in message
"Ray R" wrote:

I may have to believe it costs you 2 cents (water?) but I will have to
wait for few more days to believe yours is better than Sam's or
Wal-Mart.

Just remind me few days later so I will say "I believe you" g. I
was doing lot of printing and have been refilling my ink for many years,
and even using Continous Ink System which I don't even have to replace
ink cartridge every few refills, and I still can't see 2 cents per print
unless I print on emptied cartridge or water g.

Bulk ink is about $2 per ounce. I get about 100 prints per ounce.
I don't care if you believe my math or not.

I tried Wal-Mart and was not satisfied with the results. Since you
are proficient with Photoshop try duplicating the my experiment.
Create an image that is pure red, green, blue, cyan, magenta, and yellow
in Photoshop. Compare the Wal-Mart and inkjet version to see
which is closer to the pure colors. This can be verified by scanning
the images and looking at the individual channels.

An added benefit of the inkjet is consistent results. It is independent
of the photoprinter calibration and age of the chemicals.

Old December 4th 03, 01:14 AM
Len Robbins

Thanks everyone for their 2 cents worth.

Regards,
Len

"Joel" wrote in message
"Ray R" wrote:

"Joel" wrote in message
"Ray R" wrote:

[...]

You can get little less than $2 per oz here
https://www.atlanticinkjet.com/showprod.asp?currency=US but still lot
more than 2 cents per 8x10".

I haven't printed any artwork at Wal-Mart but I print lot of portraits
and wedding photos, and the quality are great (much better than printing
from 35mm camera).