P4P800E Deluxe: Where is the MB sensor?

Old August 27th 04, 10:06 AM
Peter Wagner

Default P4P800E Deluxe: Where is the MB sensor?

Hi

Where is the MB temperature sensor placed (exact place)?
Near the Intel 82865PE memory controller hub?
I ask because the MB temperature is higher than on other MBs.

TIA
Old August 27th 04, 11:53 AM
Paul

In article , "Peter Wagner"
wrote:

Hi

Where is the MB temperature sensor placed (exact place)?
Near the Intel 82865PE memory controller hub?
I ask because the MB temperature is higher than on other MBs.

TIA

To be honest with you, I've read many posts on private forums
where the location of the MB sensor is shown, and I still don't
know how they find them all. They must be very patient.

Your motherboard has a Winbond 83627 in the upper right hand corner.
If you look at the datasheet for the part, there are three
temperature input pins -

------------------------------------ Upper right
| corner of board
|
| 6
| 3 |-------------Winbond
(Pin101) Vref ----| 8 | W83627
(Pin102) Auxtin ----| W |-- (Pin 1)
----------------
| |
| |
Cputin Systin
(Pin103) (Pin104)

I assume Systin is being used to measure the motherboard temperature.
You should find a circuit consisting of two things that look like
resistors. One of them will actually be a thermistor. If you are
lucky, maybe it will have a slightly different appearance from the
other components. The sample datasheet below, suggests the thermistor
could be taller (thicker) than an ordinary resistor. As tall as it
is wide, a square cross section. An ordinary resistor, like the 10K
fixed resistor, has a height of about 1/2 its width, so it sits flatter
to the board. (I just looked at a similar area on my P4C800-E and
this is magnifying glass work :-)

Vref

10K
resistor

+------------ Systin (Pin104)

10K
thermistor

GND

Try tracing the copper tracks, starting from pin 104. Pin 104 is
second from the left, as shown in the picture above. There are
a number of resistors feeding off Vref, so starting from that
end will not help much. Apply gentle heat to the candidate, and
see if the temp changes.

(Sample SMT thermistor datasheet.)
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...ARG0000CE1.pdf

Good luck,
Paul
Old August 27th 04, 03:43 PM
Peter Wagner

Paul wrote:
In article , "Peter Wagner"
wrote:

Paul,

Thanks for your quick answer.

To be honest with you, I've read many posts on private forums
where the location of the MB sensor is shown, and I still don't
know how they find them all. They must be very patient.

Your motherboard has a Winbond 83627 in the upper right hand corner.

My case is closed, so I can only look at the sketch in the manual.
Is the upper right hand corner on the right site of the CPU?

If you look at the datasheet for the part, there are three
temperature input pins -

------------------------------------ Upper right
| corner of board
|
| 6
| 3 |-------------Winbond
(Pin101) Vref ----| 8 | W83627
(Pin102) Auxtin ----| W |-- (Pin 1)
----------------
| |
| |
[...]

OK.
Thanks for your hints.
I'll open the case in a few days and than I'll looking for the above
mentioned things.

Old September 5th 04, 03:46 PM
mota

"Peter Wagner" wrote in news:2p8cfsFhvqgbU1@uni-
berlin.de:

Hi

Where is the MB temperature sensor placed (exact place)?
Near the Intel 82865PE memory controller hub?
I ask because the MB temperature is higher than on other MBs.

TIA

Hi Peter

I know why you are wondering about this. My mb temp is always
higher than the cpu unlike all other computers I've owned. It
seems kind of strange to me. Even after installing a case
exhaust fan and a duct to the cpu fan, my mb temp is 10
degrees C higher (50 and 40).
Everything works fine though...no worries here!