Best Printer

Old February 26th 08, 01:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Synapse Syndrome

Default Best Printer

wrote in message
On Feb 25, 4:59pm, "Boskey" wrote:
Take a computer course. This feat ain't that difficult in 2008.

What computer course are you suggesting? What application are you
suggesting?

Bitmapping.
Application?
Regardless, my printer issue is purely wrt the mechanics involved, not
the print quality. It seems that technology often takes three steps
backwards to advance a step, ie the beeper and peripherals (printers
and scanners and keyboards) of late. They finally achieved a good
working mouse. So one down. A dozen to go.

Even though your knowledge of engineering, science and technology is
probably poor, it's an economics course you need to go on.

These products and becoming more like commodities, and they are not
engineered to the same levels, although they are made in much higher
quantites and are a lot cheaper.

ss.

Old February 26th 08, 01:55 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Feb 25, 5:15*pm, "Synapse Syndrome"
Even though your knowledge of engineering, science and technology is
probably poor, it's an economics course you need to go on.

Evidently not as bad as your grammar and communication skills:

Old February 26th 08, 02:00 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Feb 25, 5:09*pm, "Synapse Syndrome"

Take a computer course. This feat ain't that difficult in 2008.

So just because a technology is ubiquitous and affordable, it "ain't that
difficult." *Yeah, it really sounds like you have a grasp of what you're
talking about.

Where did I make that ridiculous correlation?

Old February 26th 08, 01:26 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Most people who purchase cars just want them to start and run so they
can get from point A to B. You'd think that after a century or so of
making them, and being that they cost 300 or more times the cost of a
color inkjet printer, they should always work, and do so nearly forever,
but, you know, when I look in the Yellow Pages under auto repair, or car
mechanics, the lists go on for pages and pages.

Mechanical devices tend to break down with use. Certain technologies,
like inkjet printers, tend to be more finicky, because the liquid ink
dries out and clogs the thin head channels.

No printer is 100% reliable forever. If you want what could be
considered a relatively reliable technology, black and white laser
printers have proven to be fairly solid, at least those made a few years
back. Today, price point is driving less quality into the build.

If you are willing to pay more, you may be able to get better quality
overall.

Art

wrote:

On Feb 24, 3:08 pm, Michael Johnson wrote:

I'm actually amazing at how well printers work considering
how complicated they are and the precise nature of their operation.

Printing an image onto a sheet of paper is complicated? What you
consider difficult? (I dare ask)

On Feb 24, 5:08 pm, "Bob Headrick" wrote:

As Jan mentioned, it will require a lot more information to give you an
informed answer. How many pages per month do you expect to print? Do you
need color or is B&W adequate? Do you need to print photo's? Do you care
about speed?

I want to print. This means I want to put paper in one end and the
image to appear on the other. Simple yet find a printer that can
accomplish this simple task every time ie no jams ie no hassles ie no
flashing lights ie no bugs at all. Simple request, yet name that
printer. Speed is not an issue. Downtime is however bigtime. I've had
a couple dozen printers by now and none were up to the task. Some have
came close. Not close enough though .. still hunting.

On Feb 25, 7:09 am, measekite wrote:

The new printers on very reliable.

Nope. I've yet to find one. No model number? Don't be shy.

As I've said I've got my 1yo canon online again. It has two input
trays. One failed, the other is still functioning .. (knocking on
wood).

Old February 26th 08, 02:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Feb 25, 7:32 pm, Michael Johnson wrote:

If you are so knowledgeable and printer technology is so simple

Oh, I'm knowledgeable now? Again the mechanical aspect of getting
paper in one side with an image on the other side faithfully ain't
that complicated.

then why not design and build your own printer?

No time nor interest. We have people who already do it.

Just cobble it together in your garage from bailing wire and duct tape.

Ran out of duct tape after anthrax scare.

You're just one of those people that complains about everything and
thinks he can do design/engineering better than the experts.

All my laser mice work perfect and have for years. Sorry to put a
hole
in your theory.

There are
plenty of writing instruments and note pads for sale if the printers
aren't up to your standards of operation.

Robust paper feed = high standards. [chuckle]

On Feb 26, 5:26 am, Arthur Entlich wrote:
Most people who purchase cars just want them to start and run so they
can get from point A to B. You'd think that after a century or so of
making them, and being that they cost 300 or more times the cost of a
color inkjet printer, they should always work, and do so nearly forever,
but, you know, when I look in the Yellow Pages under auto repair, or car
mechanics, the lists go on for pages and pages.

Precisely my point. 100 years to get a car to work good and it took
humans
30 years to get this far with printers .. a device with 1/100th the
mechanics involved as cars. My Honda car gets me to work and back for
years
without a jam, err AAA call.

No printer is 100% reliable forever.

What is? No argument from me, but you seem to miss the point. I'm not
talking
longevity. I'm talking reliable from the get go and yes to last a few
years
with minimal use.

If you want what could be
considered a relatively reliable technology, black and white laser
printers have proven to be fairly solid, at least those made a few years
back. Today, price point is driving less quality into the build.

True. As I said, printers (keyboards, etc) 10 years ago were more
reliable .. having less sophistication.

If you are willing to pay more, you may be able to get better quality
overall.

Not true with printers and most electronics. The more bells and
whistles,
the more potential for trouble.

On Feb 26, 5:39 am, TJ wrote:

It's like a lot of other stuff, isn't it? Take planes, for example.
Airplanes have been around for over 100 years, yet they still crash from
time to time. What's up with that? Can't they get anything right?

Yeah, but the failure rate on 747s is like .0000000001% or less and
there's a
tad more involved than a friggen printer.

If I were you, I'd avoid using anything with a mechanical component.

Not even a can opener? Clickable pen? Toothpick?

They just aren't reliable enough for you. They all fail, sooner or
later. That would include the on/off switch of your computer. Turn it
off before it lets you down again, and leave it off. Please. The rest of
us will struggle along without you. Save yourself before it's too late.

Another nervous doomsdayist [smirk]. Guess I'll have to ask my
librarian to
run copies for me for 25 cents then.
Old February 26th 08, 03:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael Johnson

wrote:
On Feb 25, 7:32 pm, Michael Johnson wrote:

If you are so knowledgeable and printer technology is so simple

Oh, I'm knowledgeable now? Again the mechanical aspect of getting
paper in one side with an image on the other side faithfully ain't
that complicated.

then why not design and build your own printer?

No time nor interest. We have people who already do it.

Then I guess it isn't so simple after all.

Just cobble it together in your garage from bailing wire and duct tape.

Ran out of duct tape after anthrax scare.

You're just one of those people that complains about everything and
thinks he can do design/engineering better than the experts.

All my laser mice work perfect and have for years. Sorry to put a
hole
in your theory.

You have only found the mouse to have reached perfection? How about
CPUs? They will run for years and years with little, or no, problems.
The same goes for many other electronic devices. BTW, an optical mouse
isn't really a mechanical device any more. There are no moving parts in
them like the old ones with roller balls. I guess this shoots a hole in
your theory and there isn't no perfect mechanical devices after all in
your opinion.

[...]

The electronics in printers have evolved greatly over the years. Just
because you say printers aren't reliable doesn't make that a true
statement. The vast majority of printer users disagree with you. I
haven't had a laser printer fail on me for almost a decade. The reason
I get rid of them is due to the speed increases and capability
improvements. I have an inkjet plotter that has been bullet proof for
over ten years. It is really nothing more than a glorified inkjet
printer that sits on a desktop.

No printer is 100% reliable forever.

What is? No argument from me, but you seem to miss the point. I'm not
talking
longevity. I'm talking reliable from the get go and yes to last a few
years
with minimal use.

Once again, this is your opinion and not what the vast majority of users
experience.

If you want what could be
considered a relatively reliable technology, black and white laser
printers have proven to be fairly solid, at least those made a few years
back. Today, price point is driving less quality into the build.

True. As I said, printers (keyboards, etc) 10 years ago were more
reliable .. having less sophistication.

If you are willing to pay more, you may be able to get better quality
overall.

Not true with printers and most electronics. The more bells and
whistles,
the more potential for trouble.

Do you know about the concept of "duty cycle"? There is a reason they
are given to printing devices and it does tie back to how that printer
is designed and built.

On Feb 26, 5:39 am, TJ wrote:

It's like a lot of other stuff, isn't it? Take planes, for example.
Airplanes have been around for over 100 years, yet they still crash from
time to time. What's up with that? Can't they get anything right?

Yeah, but the failure rate on 747s is like .0000000001% or less and
there's a
tad more involved than a friggen printer.

.... and your point is? If the failure of a printer cost human lives
then I'm sure they would have the same failure rate at airplanes and we
probably couldn't afford to buy them.

If I were you, I'd avoid using anything with a mechanical component.

Not even a can opener? Clickable pen? Toothpick?

Well, you are the one with the issues here not us.

They just aren't reliable enough for you. They all fail, sooner or
later. That would include the on/off switch of your computer. Turn it
off before it lets you down again, and leave it off. Please. The rest of
us will struggle along without you. Save yourself before it's too late.

Another nervous doomsdayist [smirk]. Guess I'll have to ask my
librarian to
run copies for me for 25 cents then.

I'm sure you will still find something to complain about with those 25
copies.
Old February 26th 08, 06:41 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Feb 26, 7:49*am, Michael Johnson wrote:
You have only found the mouse to have reached perfection? *How about
CPUs? *They will run for years and years with little, or no, problems.

CPU Peripheral.

The same goes for many other electronic devices. *BTW, an optical mouse
isn't really a mechanical device any more. *There are no moving parts in
them like the old ones with roller balls. *I guess this shoots a hole in
your theory and there isn't no perfect mechanical devices after all in
your opinion.

Your mouse clicks in infrared? Where can I get one?

The electronics in printers have evolved greatly over the years. *Just
because you say printers aren't reliable doesn't make that a true
statement.

Name one that is reliable. Don't be shy.

*The vast majority of printer users disagree with you.

Coz they lie. My experience is that all 20+ printers I've used suck.

*I
haven't had a laser printer fail on me for almost a decade.

No jams in a decade? No complaints at all? I have some ocean front
property in AZ for sale just for you.

Once again, this is your opinion and not what the vast majority of users
experience.

And you know all their views? Ok God. I know a lot of people who agree
with me, but I don't need to include them. My experience is more
valuable.

Do you know about the concept of "duty cycle"? *There is a reason they
are given to printing devices and it does tie back to how that printer
is designed and built.

Printer duty cycle? Four stroke or two? lol

... and your point is? *If the failure of a printer cost human lives
then I'm sure they would have the same failure rate at airplanes and we
probably couldn't afford to buy them.

The comparison of a thing that has 10000 movable parts to one that has
a dozen or less makes for good humor, and my wife found that one
funny. Thanks for laugh.

Folks again, today's periferals in general (excluding laser mice and a
few other exceptions) ie keyboards printers and scanners etc suck
compared to ten years ago, That is because the companies making them
ship em out half baked. You clowns are just to stupid or afraid or
gullible etc not to make a stink about it.

Old February 26th 08, 07:38 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt[_3_]

wrote in message
On Feb 26, 7:49 am, Michael Johnson wrote:

Very nasty tone and hypercritical to the point of misinformation. - are
you related to our resident troll, Measekite? Or just taking lessons from
him.

(snip)

Coz they lie. My experience is that all 20+ printers I've used suck.

Stop using the ones that come in crackerjack boxes and buy a decent printer.

haven't had a laser printer fail on me for almost a decade.

No jams in a decade? No complaints at all? I have some ocean front
property in AZ for sale just for you.

HP5p - lasted ten years with fairly heavy use, still working just fine, but
I replaced it with an HP 3005 as it is much faster.
HPIIIp - used it for six years and left it when I sold my office with all
furnishings included.
Neither of these printers had a minute's down time or repair.

(snip)

Do you know about the concept of "duty cycle"? There is a reason they
are given to printing devices and it does tie back to how that printer
is designed and built.

Printer duty cycle? Four stroke or two? lol

Not LOL - more expensive printers generally have heavier duty cycles. Since
you don't know the term, it means the number of pages per given period of
time that it is made to print. Per day, month, etc.

... and your point is? If the failure of a printer cost human lives
then I'm sure they would have the same failure rate at airplanes and we
probably couldn't afford to buy them.

The comparison of a thing that has 10000 movable parts to one that has
a dozen or less makes for good humor, and my wife found that one
funny. Thanks for laugh.

Even devices with no moving parts can fail - pens run out of ink, pencil
lead breaks, etc.

Folks again, today's periferals (Spelling error) in general (excluding laser
mice and a
few other exceptions) ie (correct usage requires parentheses) keyboards
printers and scanners etc suck
compared to ten years ago, That is because the companies making them
ship em out half baked. You clowns are just to (too?) stupid or afraid or
gullible etc not to make a stink about it.

One more angry troll to killfile.