Swapping Drive Letter Designations - Cable Select

Old April 6th 07, 06:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris

Default Swapping Drive Letter Designations - Cable Select

In all of my machines, I have the CD-R/DVD in the top bay, and the CD-
R/DVD-R in the bottom bay, and Windows Explorer reports these drives
as D and E, or E and F, etc. In other words, the top bay (the CD
burner, if you will) is one letter, and the lower bay (DVD burner, if
you will) is the following letter in the alphabet. Just an
idiosyncrasy of mine.

I just installed a Sony CD-R/DVD in the top bay, and a Lite-On CD-R/
DVD-R in the lower bay of an E510 running WMCE. These drives are
connected to the IDE motherboard connector. I used the original
(Dell) IDE cable select cable, and the drives are both jumpered cable
select. The Lite-On is on the first cable connector, and the Sony is
on the second, or last, cable connector. I had to do it this way due
to the bay locations and the length of the IDE cable.

Windows Explorer reports:
the (bottom drive) Lite-On as DVD-RW Drive (D
the Sony (top drive) as DVD/CD-RW Drive (E

I was hoping to see the drive letters just the opposite, but I suppose
this is a function of the location of the drives on a cable select
setup. Yes?

My burning applications report the drives the same as Windows
Explorer.

At any rate, I'd like to swap the drive letter designations on these
drives, as reported in Windows Explorer, but I don't know if this will
cause problems with applications, especially CD and DVD burning
programs.

Any comments?

Thanks

Old April 6th 07, 12:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"Boris" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

You can just swap them in disk management. Won't matter.

Old April 6th 07, 03:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 07:06:17 -0400, "Tom Scales"
wrote:

"Boris" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I concur with Tom. No big deal.
Old April 6th 07, 04:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris

On Apr 6, 4:06 am, "Tom Scales" wrote:
"Boris" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

Many thanks, and I'll do just that. One more question...if at some
point I set the BIOS to boot from CD, which of the two optical drives
will the BIOS look to? The first one on the cable select cable, or
the first drive letter that represents an optical drive?

Thanks again

Old April 6th 07, 04:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"Boris" wrote in message
ps.com...
On Apr 6, 4:06 am, "Tom Scales" wrote:
"Boris" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

It will likely boot from the one that is on the end of the cable.

How can I tell if I have a cable select computer or cable? DJW Storage (alternative) 2 December 2nd 06 07:41 PM
Drive Designations jmas Homebuilt PC's 1 November 15th 06 12:49 AM
swapping HDs on a select 750. (follow-up to an older post) [email protected] Gateway Computers 1 August 26th 06 03:08 AM
How to re-assign drive letter designations? Doc Homebuilt PC's 2 July 27th 06 08:20 PM
Does anybody know what jumper setting "cable select" does for a hard drive? Body Homebuilt PC's 9 February 2nd 06 02:41 AM