Gateway and Laptop support.

Old December 2nd 05, 03:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Default Gateway and Laptop support.

Well put. I've done quite a bit of service within warranty for name brand
boxes. If you send your name brand computer back for warranty service, there's
no telling which computer you'll get back, your original or another refurb. And
kiss your data and software goodbye.

People generally value their data highly, but not enough to do regular backup.
When the system starts to fail for whatever reason, I'm happy to get the call.

None of which has to do with the OP's laptop experience, except that I work on
laptops, too... Ben Myers

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:55:39 -0500, Ed wrote:

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 23:51:52 -0800, "pengulin"
wrote:

Q... I got it the first time I read it, but let's review. I don't think Ed
was trying to imply there was any such animal as a white box laptop, but
that white box Dealers in general (many of whom don't just service their own
****) are more service-oriented than the Compaqs, Dells, Gateways, etc.(who
hardly service their own **** very well).

It's so refreshing to see a person that can not only read but who
reads all of the provided text and as a rare and special bonus... who
can comprehend what they read.

For example, how about this passage:
-----Snip-----
You will also get local support from the same person that usually built
your toys in the first place even though they don't
build laptops.

-------- end Snip

Amazing, isn't it.... what was actually said/written?

You Sir, are a credit to a dying clan... the intellectual human that
rose above simian mental constraints.

white box Dealers in general (many of whom don't just service their own
****) are more service-oriented than the Compaqs, Dells, Gateways, etc.(who
hardly service their own **** very well).

However, most of our local white box dealers do service the Taiwanese
boxes with the Sales and Marketing firm's names painted on them. And
that is the Desktops and Laptops both at a more honest engagement than
the poor owner would have had with the Sales and Marketing firm who's
name is painted on the box. My last laptop (Gateway 450SX4) HD
problem was analyzed by one of our local white box dealers for a $10
fee and then he sells me a replacement HD for $70 which I was able to
put in (Real Easy on the 450). I see him replacing a lot of Back
Lights on Dell laptops and have seen him with an HP scattered all over
a bench before repairing it and getting it back together.

People need to understand that they ARE NOT locked into whoever the
Sales and Marketing firm is outsourcing the service for the laptops
with their names painted on the sides.

Again, people need to start searching out their local white box
builders for **possible** service on their Sales and Marketing firm
boxes no matter if it is a desktop or laptop. Of course, this is not
to say that one should not utilize their warranty period when
possible.

Regards,
Ed

Old December 3rd 05, 05:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 15:59:56 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:

I've done quite a bit of service within warranty for name brand
boxes.

I am told by the local ones that I have worked with that they do more
servicing of Brand Named OEM's that they do in building their own
white boxes for sales. Now some will say that this is because the
White Boxes are more expensive than the boxes with a Brand Named on
the side. And, this is basically true with all these $299 pieces of
OEM crap showing up on the market. But I think we have discussed
before and agreed on the fact that in the "Long Run", the White Box is
cheaper when looking at them as a quality assembly, selection of
quality parts vs. selection of 2nd/3rd tier parts, local support
usually from the same guy that built the system and who speaks your
language and a box that is not proprietary making it more upgradable
thus making its ability to stay current for a lot longer than the
Proprietary OEM.

Back to why they do more time servicing OEM's than building White
Boxes.... I personally believe the reason is that the white boxes
they built are not having to come back for service at the same rate
these OEM's are. Thus, the OEM's are hogging all the shop time, ie.
pieces of crap.

If you send your name brand computer back for warranty service, there's
no telling which computer you'll get back, your original or another refurb.

True and most all parts replacements are either refurbs or parts
harvested out of DOA's. We have all read stories on this exact forum
where brand new monitors that arrive at the victim's house DOA are
replaced by scratched up replacements when the victim just a week or
so ago paid up front for a brand new monitor. Remember the one where
the victim got a replacement for their brand new DOA Monitor that was
ate up with tar and nicotine and the smell of smoke?

None of which has to do with the OP's laptop experience, except that I work on
laptops, too...

Actually it has everything to do with it in light of the fact that it
appears that the OP got taken to the cleaners by the OEM's outsourced
low ball bid service supplier and now with this discussion, they and
others not realizing it, may start searching out local white box
builders for their laptop service. I would assume that the common
consensus is that if all White Box builders do is build Desk Tops,
then what would they know about a laptop. And I can see how that
misconception can take hold.

Regards,
Ed
Old December 4th 05, 02:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

"Ed" wrote in message
I am told by the local ones that I have worked with that they do more
servicing of Brand Named OEM's that they do in building their own
white boxes for sales. Now some will say that this is because the
White Boxes are more expensive than the boxes with a Brand Named on
the side. And, this is basically true with all these $299 pieces of
OEM crap showing up on the market.

Just to add my 2 cents. My older gateways, I
thought were gems, with decent support and great service, if you were
courteous to them. They are still working to this day, in my home, as well
as relatives who were handed down the machines to. An ocasional power supply
and battery and they keep on ticking. The last two gateways, from about two
years ago, were pieces of junk, that I wound up selling.
I took the plunge and started building my own
computers, using the retail parts of my choosing. Was it more expensive.
Absolutely. But I have had very little if any problem with my builds, or
builds I have done for other people. Most problems, for the builds I have
done for other people, have been their cause. Not using virus protection,
opening up files they shouldnt, not clearing caches, and the ocasional hard
drive failure.
On my two builds, the ONLY problem I ever had(and still
have ) is on an antec case, a front fan, sometimes goes on when machine
starts up, and sometimes I have to give a pencil start to it. Never been
able to figure it out, and never wanted to take box out, to exchange the
case. Cooling works just fine, even without the front fan.
I will never buy for myself a pre assembled
computer again. I got for fathers day last year, a gateway laptop, which
has broken twice already. It was not my choice,. It was a gift , and would
not buy again. Support people, were either extremely nice, or outright
hostile. Should not be this way, but each time I sent it in, it came back
fixed and came back quickly, but I dont trust the machine, and would not
purchase again. I also sense it is starting to go bad again(I think the hard
drive is going this time).
So white box, build by myself or someone
else is just fine for me. I cant compete on price, but I know my own
computers like I know myself, plus I have a really true "customized
computer". that can be easily upgraded and or modified.

Much regards Jerry