best place for cheap cables?

Old August 2nd 05, 05:51 AM
Brendan R. Wehrung

Default best place for cheap cables?

I bought a second Samsung ML-1740 and refused the USB cable, saying I had
one. Well, I did, but it was needed to connect the new printer to my main
computer while the old one gets connected to my backup, for which I also
need another USB "B" cable. (I forgot that there is more than one kind of
USB cable, aside from the familiar one that connects peripherals like
cameras to computers.) Since this particular model is "old fashioned" and
also will communicate with a parallel cable I hooked that up, but need to
get the port back for my Zip drive. So I need to buy a USB cable.

Cables are a racket and a profit center for computer stores--$5 of wire
and connector for $30. Never go on sale, of course. Anybody know where
to look for good prices on cables? My old printer is working fine on the
parallel connection so I can afford to take my time.

Brendan

Old August 2nd 05, 10:18 AM
Caitlin

"Brendan R. Wehrung" wrote in message

[...]

What, anywhere in the world? SE Asia's probably good for a start. FFS sake
say where the hell you live!

Old August 2nd 05, 12:33 PM

In message

, Caitlin writes

[...]

From his email address I would guess Canada (.ca) Anyway, maybe an odd
suggestion but have you tried your local supermarket? Not quite the
same but last time I wanted a Scart lead the electrical shops were silly
prices but there were some much cheaper (about a factor of four) in the
supermarket.

--
Timothy

Old August 2nd 05, 06:54 PM
David Chien

You should be able to get USB cables for $1-3 at most! if you find a
cheapie store. They're not that expensive. At the minimum, ebay.com
has them for $5 each.
Old August 2nd 05, 10:19 PM
measekite

Why buy the cheap **** when you can get Belkin Gold tips for 99 cents
more if you shop around.

Old August 2nd 05, 10:41 PM
David Chien

measekite wrote:
Why buy the cheap **** when you can get Belkin Gold tips for 99 cents
more if you shop around.

Keep the hard working Chinese in business over there in China? =p

Realistically, they're under $0.50 bulk to wholesalers, so don't
spend too much whatever you buy! They're just cable & wire after all....
Old August 3rd 05, 05:53 AM
Brendan R. Wehrung

"Caitlin" ) writes:
[...]

Good 'ole USA.

Brendan

Old August 3rd 05, 05:56 AM
Brendan R. Wehrung

David Chien wrote:

You should be able to get USB cables for $1-3 at most! if you find a
cheapie store. They're not that expensive. At the minimum, ebay.com
has them for $5 each.

As in $29.99 at Office Max? That's what the local one gouges for.

Brendan