best photo printer, $100. - $200.

Old August 7th 06, 07:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Snydley

Default best photo printer, $100. - $200.

I'm looking for a good photo printer in the 1-200. price range, something
that will take generic ink and paper preferably. Any suggestions are
greatly appreciated!!

Old August 8th 06, 01:11 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Roy G

"Snydley" wrote in message
I'm looking for a good photo printer in the 1-200. price range, something
that will take generic ink and paper preferably. Any suggestions are
greatly appreciated!!

Hi.

If you want to get good colour photos out of your printer, you will need to
learn how to use ICC profiles and Colour Management.

If you then plan to use any old Generic Inks and Papers you will need to pay
for Profiles to be made for you, or buy the hardware needed to do it
yourself. Either of those options could cost more than you are planning to
spend on the printer.

You will get ICC profiles with your photo printer, but they will only work
with OEM Inks and Papers.

Some of the Independant Ink makers do supply profiles for certain Printers
using certain of their Inks on certain Papers. So you will have to do some
more research to find out which printers they cover.

Roy G

Old August 8th 06, 06:33 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Kevin

"Snydley" wrote in message
I'm looking for a good photo printer in the 1-200. price range, something
that will take generic ink and paper preferably. Any suggestions are
greatly appreciated!!

The HP8450 can be had for a very good price right now on Ebay for about $100
delivered. If you have a CompuUSA locally they were going $49.99 as a
closeout, but I suspect they're all gone at that price. I purchased one and
the output looks as good as a wet chemisty print to my eye.

Kevin