Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOS mode?

Old December 26th 20, 05:01 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
knuttle

Default Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOSmode?

On 12/26/2020 9:58 AM, John McGaw wrote:

Yes. More than once. Usually it is a matter of the BIOS mode bein

Some years ago you could access the bios form any power icon with a
combination of a control key and the mouse. It has been year and I can
not find my notes for the exact steps.

HOWEVER this also works

Method #2: Use Windows 10’s start menu
As computers have become more technologically advanced than ever, they
boot up in seconds before our eyes. This leaves little room for pressing
any hotkeys and can leave those looking to get into their BIOS settings
puzzled.
For PC users who aren’t able to catch that tiny window to use their
hotkey, this method of entering BIOS can be completed through your
computer settings.
Step 1. Access your Windows settings
Navigate to your Windows start menu and select “Settings” located on the
left panel. You can also access your Windows setting by using Windows
shortcut keys Windows + I.
Step 2. Select “Update & security”
Within this window, you may need to scroll down to find the “Update &
security” button.
Step 3. Select “Recovery"
Step 4. Click “Restart now”
Under “Advanced startup” you will see a “Restart now” button that allows
you to reboot your PC for configuration or restoration.
After your PC boots back up, you will be met with a special menu that
gives you the option to “Use a device,” “Continue,” “Turn off your PC,”
or “Troubleshoot.”
Step 5. Select “Troubleshoot”
Within this window, select “Advanced options” then select “UEFI Firmware
Settings.” This will allow you to enter BIOS on your Windows 10 PC.
Step 6. Confirm your restart
If your PC is running Windows 8.1 or Windows 8, these methods will also
work for your older operating system.

Old December 28th 20, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Mark Lloyd[_6_]

On 12/26/20 8:58 AM, John McGaw wrote:

[snip]

Yes. More than once. Usually it is a matter of the BIOS mode being
dependent upon a particular keyboard connection. In old MBs it was not
uncommon for them to watch for signals from PS2 keyboards only. Any USB
keyboards would be ignored until after the boot and some driver or other
was loaded.

Usually, I would prefer USB. However, I used to have some older systems
without USP support in BIOS, and I would use a PS/2 keyboard for those.
IIRC, that was true with the PII-class Celeron with "Y2K compliant"
motherboard.

[snip]

Oh, and yes, I've had a couple of mystery MBs were I had to play
guessing games about which key and precisely when to press it to achieve
BIOS.

Of those I've had, ESC DEL F1 or F2 worked on most so I try all those
keys one after another.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"If fascism ever comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and
carrying a cross." -- Upton Sinclair, Huey P. Long, and others.
Old December 28th 20, 06:13 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Arlen Holder

On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 17:25:49 -0600, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Usually, I would prefer USB. However, I used to have some older systems
without USP support in BIOS, and I would use a PS/2 keyboard for those.
IIRC, that was true with the PII-class Celeron with "Y2K compliant"
motherboard.

UPDATE:

The solution, strangely enough, was to remove everything from every port
possible, nary even a mouse, with just a mechanical keyboard in place.

Then, after POST, an F10 opened to the BIOS setup where I was able to
enable AMD-V, which then enabled Android emulators to work on Windows
inside of a virtual machine (in my case, inside of VirtualBox).

See also:
o Have you gotten Genymotion freeware to work on an older AMD CPU on Win10?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.freeware/AtHp2BtOcxk

o How to get Genymotion Android emulation to work on an AMD Win10Pro desktop
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.comp.freeware/AtHp2BtOcxk/lQRxtMuNAgAJ
--
Posted out of the goodness of my heart, as always, to voluntarily help all.

Continuous working mode dinoz General 7 September 28th 11 06:42 PM
Sata standby mode no working? HELP PLEASE joshkgb Storage (alternative) 1 October 21st 06 04:53 PM
Games not working in clone mode GTS Nvidia Videocards 2 November 15th 04 07:06 PM
A7N8X Deluxe Rev2: BIOS error: System was not correctly shut down.... working in safe mode speed user Asus Motherboards 2 April 4th 04 02:01 AM
52.16 (tv-out) overlay clone mode not working [s]arrow Nvidia Videocards 1 October 30th 03 11:21 PM