Direct3D functionality not available (again)

Old April 7th 09, 09:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
PhilT

Default Direct3D functionality not available (again)

I know this question has been posted a million times all over the web
but I still cant find an answer that actually works. DxDiag shows my
Direct3D functionality.

I have an ATI Radeon X1650 PRO 512M card and I have the latest drivers
- I have tried a few versions and cleaned the machine between each
test using DriverSweeper.

This card is a replacement for an nVidia GeForce4 MX4000 card which
also had no Direct3D functionality - again all the latest drivers.

I have a works PC with onboard graphics (Intel) with the same problem.
A collegue also has this problem on his home PC and he has found that
re-installing Windows will fix the problem ... for a while. In his
case looking at certain videos on uTube will kill his Direct3D.

I dont really want to re-install Windows on the offchance it will fix
it.
It seems that software component somewhere is the cause.

Does anyone really know the cause of the problem or any tools to
diagnose it further.

MB: AOpen AK77-600GN, 2GB RAM (1x3M,2x512M)
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (Barton 1.9GHz), MMX, 3DNow
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Drivers: ati2dvag.dll (6.14.0010.6925 - 25/02/2009 22:41:10)
Old April 7th 09, 09:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
PhilT

typo ...
MB: AOpen AK77-600GN, 2GB RAM (1x1G, 2x512M)
Old April 7th 09, 10:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

* PhilT:
I know this question has been posted a million times all over the web
but I still cant find an answer that actually works. DxDiag shows my
Direct3D functionality.

I have an ATI Radeon X1650 PRO 512M card and I have the latest drivers
- I have tried a few versions and cleaned the machine between each
test using DriverSweeper.

This card is a replacement for an nVidia GeForce4 MX4000 card which
also had no Direct3D functionality - again all the latest drivers.

I have a works PC with onboard graphics (Intel) with the same problem.
A collegue also has this problem on his home PC and he has found that
re-installing Windows will fix the problem ... for a while. In his
case looking at certain videos on uTube will kill his Direct3D.

It's a bit hard to understand what your problem is, but I suppose that
you just loose D3D support.

Have you checked that hardware acceleration is enabled (in the display
properties - Advanced - Troubleshoot - Hardware Acceleration slider,
should be fully right)? Also, you can disable and enable Direct3D
acceleration in DxDiag (in the Display tab).

Also, do you have the AGP drivers for your mainboard installed? They
usually should be installed *before* any gfx drivers are put on.

Benjamin
Old April 7th 09, 10:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
PhilT

On 7 Apr, 10:11, Benjamin Gawert wrote:
Have you checked that hardware acceleration is enabled (in the display
properties - Advanced - Troubleshoot - Hardware Acceleration slider,
should be fully right)? Also, you can disable and enable Direct3D
acceleration in DxDiag (in the Display tab).

Yes, Hardware Acceleration is fully to the right. I have tried it in
each position with no change.
I cant disable/enable Direct3D in DxDiag because it is not available -
the enable/disable buttons are greyed out.

Also, do you have the AGP drivers for your mainboard installed? They
usually should be installed *before* any gfx drivers are put on.

Yes I have the latest AGP drivers - at least I cant find anything
newer.

Old April 7th 09, 11:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
PhilT

I forgot to mention, that DxDiag also shows that none of the DirectX
features are available ...

DrectDraw Acceleration: Not Available [Disable button greyed]
Direct3D Acceleration: Not Available [Disable button greyed]
AGP Texture Acceleration: Not Available [Disable button greyed]

The button to 'Test DirectDraw is available and it does run some
tests.
The button for 'Test Direct3D' is greyed out.
Old April 7th 09, 12:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
DRS

"PhilT" wrote in message

I forgot to mention, that DxDiag also shows that none of the DirectX
features are available ...

DrectDraw Acceleration: Not Available [Disable button greyed]
Direct3D Acceleration: Not Available [Disable button greyed]
AGP Texture Acceleration: Not Available [Disable button greyed]

The button to 'Test DirectDraw is available and it does run some
tests.
The button for 'Test Direct3D' is greyed out.

When was the last time you updated your DirectX? The latest release is
March, 2009.

Old April 7th 09, 02:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
PhilT

On 7 Apr, 12:37, "DRS" wrote:
When was the last time you updated your DirectX? *The latest release is
March, 2009.

It was 9.0c (Sept08), It is now 9.0c (Mar09) .... why dont they change
the version number?

anyway, it hasn't made any difference.

Old April 7th 09, 07:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Augustus

"PhilT" wrote in message
[...]

I wound up selling my X1650 Pro AGP card well over a year back (was on son's
system) simply because I could not get it to function with any drivers past
the 7.5's. Every subsequent version and hotfix resulted in the "Zero Display
Service Error". It would work fine with the 7.5's but unfortunately many of
his games needed newer drivers. Upgraded the m/b to a budget Asus one an got
a 9600GT PCIe card.

Old April 8th 09, 12:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

*Try* this driver. It was developed to fix a similar issue for HD2000 and
HD3000 series AGP cards.
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...AGPHotfix.aspx

You have the latest VIA Hyperion (formerly 4-in-1) AGP drivers installed,
right?
http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/VIA_H...nPro_V523A.zip

Make sure AGP is enabled in BIOS, and AGP aperture size is 64 MB or larger
(if option is available).

Old April 8th 09, 05:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
PhilT

On 8 Apr, 00:34, "First of One" wrote:
*Try* this driver. It was developed to fix a similar issue for HD2000 and
HD3000 series AGP cards.http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...AGPHotfix.aspx

I might give this a try in the next couple of days when I have a bit
more time.

You have the latest VIA Hyperion (formerly 4-in-1) AGP drivers installed,
right?http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/VIA_H...nPro_V523A.zip

Yes, thanks. I already got hold of those and they're installed.

Make sure AGP is enabled in BIOS, and AGP aperture size is 64 MB or larger
(if option is available).

AGP is turned on but I had to disable AGP Fast Writes as this cause
video corruption.

I've checked around the office and 4 PC's have the same fault. Only
one person has no fault on their home PC. This must be more than just
a driver update to get it fixed.

I have an OpenGL extensions viewer (http://www.realtech-vr.com/
glview/) and that shows 'N/A' for the DirectX version info.
3dMark06 crashes on startup with the message
"IDirect3D9::GetDeviceCaps failed: Not available
(D3ERR_NOTAVAILABLE)" ... this makes me think it's DirectX more than
the AGP drivers.
Since DirectX is integral to XP and cannot be uninstalled and re-
installed I cant see a way forward.
Maybe if I put on a really old version of DirectX it might just work !