nVidia 8800 GTS question

Old April 22nd 07, 03:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
RattO

Default nVidia 8800 GTS question

Hey there guys and gals i just have a quick question for you all. I am
interested in getting the card in question only problem is i just dont know
how much power this card needs to run at its best. As of right now i have a
Dell XPS 410 with a 375 Watt power supply. Is this able to run this card ?
Thank you for any help. Thanks in advance and cheers

Old April 22nd 07, 04:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil

"RattO" u33567@uwe wrote in message news:710fb4d5c32a1@uwe...
Hey there guys and gals i just have a quick question for you all. I am
interested in getting the card in question only problem is i just dont
know
how much power this card needs to run at its best. As of right now i have
Dell XPS 410 with a 375 Watt power supply. Is this able to run this card
?
Thank you for any help. Thanks in advance and cheers

Unfortunately, your PSU is probably not going to be sufficient. It is
suggested that you have a minimum 400w PSU that can deliver a combined 26
amps on the 12v rails. If I remember correctly, the 8800 GTS requires 10
amps just for itself, when at load.

To see what your current setup needs, wattage wise, use the eXtreme Power
Supply Calculator. Just swap in a 8800 GTS in the videocard dropdown.
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

Check your PSU specs to see what the combined voltage is, of the 12v rails.

-phil

Old April 22nd 07, 07:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
RattO

Amazing thank you Phil for the link to the site. Apprently from what i put in,
which is hopefully correct im lookig at 369 Watts. Which is awesome seeing as
it has a 375 Watt power supply. But one thing i noticed while ordering the PC
is they actually offered the nVidia 8800 GTX graphics card as an option. So I
am wondering does that mean i should be able to run that card too ? Im not
the most tech savvyiest of person so any help that any of u guys offer or
even Phil again i would deeply and humbley appreciate it. Thank You all in
advance

Phil wrote:
Hey there guys and gals i just have a quick question for you all. I am
interested in getting the card in question only problem is i just dont

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
?

Old April 22nd 07, 07:56 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

RattO wrote:
Hey there guys and gals i just have a quick question for you all. I am
interested in getting the card in question only problem is i just dont know
how much power this card needs to run at its best. As of right now i have a
Dell XPS 410 with a 375 Watt power supply. Is this able to run this card ?
Thank you for any help. Thanks in advance and cheers

This April 12, 2007 article from Xbitlabs, has some power measurements.
The card is over 100 watts.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...gts-640_6.html

I put a little more info in post #2 he

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.co...1d5250b8f6f749

To do power estimates, you need:

1) What is printed on the label of the PSU, ratings for each rail in amps,
plus any combined limits printed on the label.
2) Processor model and speed, number of hard drives, number of CD drives,
number of fans, video card make and model.
3) Calculate the +12V needed, as on modern computers, that is the rail
that carries the most load. Life is complicated by single, dual, triple or
quad rail +12V supplies, as to which rail the +12V is coming from and
so on. For the lower voltage rails, unless there is some known high
power stuff involved, an estimate of 50W for the motherboard is the
best I can do for 3.3V and 5V (based on some measured results here).

Paul
Old April 22nd 07, 01:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
No One

Phil wrote:
[...]

My house still has aluminum wiring. I'm afraid one of these new
machines will make it all melt down.
Old April 22nd 07, 02:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
RattO via HWKB.com

Hey there guys. Thank you Paul for those bits of info on the nVidia card
power supply. I talked to a dell tech last night about this issue and I got a
simple if i buy this card they would send me another power supply and I have
to install it myself. But what i dont understand is if they allow me to have
the 8800 GTX in this system with only a 375 Watt power supply how is this
even possible ? Well either way thank you all for all this info its really
getting me to get to make a desicion on what i should do . If anyone has
anymore info or has more insight into this graphics card situation please
post a replay. I would appreciate it very much.

Old April 22nd 07, 03:25 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

If you ordered the 8800GTX with a new system, Dell would have most likely
equipped it with a beefier power supply.

if i buy this card they would send me another power supply and I have to
install it myself.

If you buy this card from Dell, right? How much extra would Dell charge for
the PSU upgrade?

Old April 22nd 07, 03:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
RattO via HWKB.com

As far as I know the graphics card would come with the extra power supply.
That is according to the rep i talked to through hardware support.

First of One wrote:
If you ordered the 8800GTX with a new system, Dell would have most likely
equipped it with a beefier power supply.

if i buy this card they would send me another power supply and I have to
install it myself.

If you buy this card from Dell, right? How much extra would Dell charge for
the PSU upgrade?

Hey there guys. Thank you Paul for those bits of info on the nVidia card
power supply. I talked to a dell tech last night about this issue and I

[quoted text clipped - 42 lines]

Paul

Old April 22nd 07, 03:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

RattO via HWKB.com wrote:
Hey there guys. Thank you Paul for those bits of info on the nVidia card
power supply. I talked to a dell tech last night about this issue and I got a
simple if i buy this card they would send me another power supply and I have
to install it myself. But what i dont understand is if they allow me to have
the 8800 GTX in this system with only a 375 Watt power supply how is this
even possible ? Well either way thank you all for all this info its really
getting me to get to make a desicion on what i should do . If anyone has
anymore info or has more insight into this graphics card situation please
post a replay. I would appreciate it very much.

Maybe this is the Dell with two 12V @ 18A outputs ? (Check the label on the
side of the supply.)

Everything except the processor is on one 18A output. Xbitlabs lists 8800GTX
at 127.6W total for the +12V load. 127.6/12 = 10.6A. If using one hard drive
(12V @ 0.6A), and a game CD in a CD/DVD drive (12V @ 1.5A), and say 3 fans
in the computer case (12V @ 0.5A), the total is 13.2A. So from an ampere point
of view, one 18A output provides 6A to run a Core2 Duo, the other 18A output
provides 13.2A to run the rest of the 12V loads. Total power would be
12V * (6A + 13.2A) + 50W + 12.5W = 293W out of 375W. (50W is motherboard, 12.5W
is the controller board on the CD drive and the hard drive, added together.)

So if there is enough cooling on the Dell, it is still possible to do it.
The Xbitlabs measurement is only of one card, so some cards might draw
a little more, and some a little less.

Paul

Old April 22nd 07, 11:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_2_]

You'll need at least a 450 Watt PSU to power your system with that video
card.

--

DaveW