Acronis Vista Restore Didn't Work

Old April 7th 07, 10:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

Default Acronis Vista Restore Didn't Work

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 16:18:36 -0500, RnR wrote:

Journey, no offense but you are confirming why I want to stay away
from Vista as long as possible. Don't misunderstand, I'm NOT
blaming you but rather learning from you that it's not worth my effort
unbugging MS's messed up new OS. Oh yeah, get some sleep grin.

Actually I didn't plan on going to Vista till at least SP1 anyway but
I'm not sure if I should wait even longer now. I haven't heard any
WOW from anyone.

If you have two hard drives, you can safely (as far as I know) install
to each and enable and disable in the bios. There is probably a more
elegant way.

In my case I did a Vista image restore. It's either my incomplete
understanding of something, maybe I missed something when creating the
image, or maybe I need to download an update from Acronis.

One of the payoffs for me of doing all this is that I continue to
learn useful things.

The sooner I can get into Vista, even if it's a secondary option, the
more I will be able to understand and take in what I read because.
Old April 7th 07, 10:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 17:38:14 -0400, "Phil"
wrote:

People
just blindly expect the new OS to work flawlessly with all their legacy
hardware and software. When reality comes flooding in, they blame the OS,
and not their own impulsive decision-making process.

This certainly isn't the case with me if you've been reading my posts.
I don't think you meant it to apply to me.
Old April 7th 07, 10:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 17:38:14 -0400, "Phil"
wrote:

Journey's problem has absolutely nothing to do with Vista, and is likely due
to an incomplete restoration of the active partition and MBR.

There were 4 things available to be restored, which I did:

- Major C: partition
- MBR
- One 10G partition
- One more -- maybe the utility partition

So, I did have everything covered.
Old April 7th 07, 10:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 17:20:00 -0400, "pen" wrote:

My point was that XP and Vista mess up each others boot scenario,
therefore restoring either to a drive which had the other
installed will probably mess up the boot. Vista messes with the
MBR.

When I installed XP, I did a fresh install, total replace of the
drivet that Vista was on (after taking the Vista image).

I tried to install Vista on a separate, new disk that previously
didn't have an OS installed.
Old April 7th 07, 11:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Phil

wrote:

People
just blindly expect the new OS to work flawlessly with all their legacy
hardware and software. When reality comes flooding in, they blame the OS,
and not their own impulsive decision-making process.

This certainly isn't the case with me if you've been reading my posts.
I don't think you meant it to apply to me.

Yeah, my reply was to RnR, with a general reaction to Vista critics,
tossed-in.

-phil

Old April 7th 07, 11:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sat, 07 Apr 2007 15:29:54 -0500, Journey wrote:

I ran into problems when I tried to restore the Vista image to one of
the two new hard drives. Everything seemed to restore OK but when I
tried to boot from it I wasn't able to.

Because I have a fresh install of Vista, this is my time to get this
right so that I will have confidence later on to take backups. I am
sure there is a resolution. It may be user error -- I did back up and
try to restore everything. I can go thru it again and maybe ask on
the forums there and their technical support. Once I get it working
I'll post back here.
Old April 7th 07, 11:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Phil

"Journey" wrote in message
[...]

I assume that you have an Acronis boot CD. If so, just start over, and only
restore your C: (set to active) partition and MBR. Restore the OS and then
the MBR, in two separate operations. If you have any secondary HDDs, it may
help to disconnect them before booting with the Acronis media.

-phil

Old April 7th 07, 11:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pen

wrote:

My point was that XP and Vista mess up each others boot
scenario,
therefore restoring either to a drive which had the other
installed will probably mess up the boot. Vista messes with the
MBR.

When I installed XP, I did a fresh install, total replace of the
drivet that Vista was on (after taking the Vista image).

I tried to install Vista on a separate, new disk that previously
didn't have an OS installed.

If I read this post of yours correctly that you installed XP onto
a drive
that had vista on it previously, then that is exactly a scenario
that won't work.
vistabootpro will help you there.

Old April 7th 07, 11:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 18:11:24 -0400, "Phil"
wrote:

I assume that you have an Acronis boot CD. If so, just start over, and only
restore your C: (set to active) partition and MBR. Restore the OS and then
the MBR, in two separate operations. If you have any secondary HDDs, it may
help to disconnect them before booting with the Acronis media.

-phil

Sounds good. Now when I restore the OS first, do I need to take
sizing into account, in order to have room for the MBR? I am going to
do another backup / recovery later in the day using this info.
Old April 7th 07, 11:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sat, 7 Apr 2007 18:12:58 -0400, "pen" wrote:

If I read this post of yours correctly that you installed XP onto
a drive
that had vista on it previously, then that is exactly a scenario
that won't work.
vistabootpro will help you there.

OK, it's been working flawlessly for a week or so. Am I lucky or is
there a bomb waiting to happen?