Temperature story 6600GT

Old March 20th 07, 11:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Gil

Default Temperature story 6600GT

After running 2-3 hour sessions of NR2003 at 1400x900 with 8X AA and
4X AF, my vidcard temps were in the low 90's. I read a few posts here
and thought that might be a bit high.

Opened the case, took out the vacuum cleaner and sucked out a few dust
kittens. Ambient temperature dropped at LEAST 10 degrees C, and I will
see what the load temps are like later tonight while racing.

To those users concerned about vidcard temps, I recommend giving the
case a thorough cleaning. It seems to have worked in my case.

Pun intended.

Old March 21st 07, 03:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Gil

During the 2-1/2 hour racing session temps never went above 61C.
Sucess! The temperature gauge is actually a dust-measuring device.

Old March 21st 07, 08:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
oldwolf

Be VERY careful using a vacuum inside a computer case, they can build up
quite a large static charge, which can, (and I have seen it happen), very
thoroughly kill your system.

ups.com...

Old March 21st 07, 04:46 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Rev. G.G. Willikers (aka Mön§igñor ßoddoM)

oldwolf wrote:
Be VERY careful using a vacuum inside a computer case, they can build up
quite a large static charge, which can, (and I have seen it happen), very
thoroughly kill your system.

In this Case (pun intended), it is safer to Blow, than it is to Suck.
(Any innuendo is purely generated by the dirty mind that generates it
--

Rev. G.G. Willikers

"Sir, I am unaware of any such activity or operation - nor would
I be disposed to discuss such an operation if it did in
fact exist, sir."
Old March 21st 07, 11:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Gil

Actually, I was standing on a carpet with the vacuum, I probably was
lucky that I didn't zap the PC, but I didn't and it works fine. Wanted
to clean the thing out, don't think compressed air would have quite
done the job.

Next time I'm going to use the damned leaf blower. 5 seconds with that
and I guarantee the inside of the PC will be clean.

Old March 22nd 07, 12:41 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

Static is highly overrated. Just do the vacuuming with the power supply
switched off at the back, but leave the three-prong cord plugged in.

I'd be more concerned about breathing in all the dust kicked up by a blower.

ups.com...

Old March 22nd 07, 06:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Andrew

On 21 Mar 2007 15:51:59 -0700, "Gil"
wrote:

Actually, I was standing on a carpet with the vacuum, I probably was
lucky that I didn't zap the PC, but I didn't and it works fine. Wanted
to clean the thing out, don't think compressed air would have quite
done the job.

You have never seen a compressed air can do it's job then, they are
very effective.
--
Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com
Old March 22nd 07, 03:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

wrote:

Actually, I was standing on a carpet with the vacuum, I probably was
lucky that I didn't zap the PC, but I didn't and it works fine. Wanted
to clean the thing out, don't think compressed air would have quite
done the job.

You have never seen a compressed air can do it's job then, they are
very effective.

Yeah, that cloud of fine particulate matter is a site to behold.

Might want to do this procedure outside,or you're just going to get all
that nasty stuff floating back to where it came from.

Old March 22nd 07, 04:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Andrew

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:52:33 GMT, "Rev. G.G. Willikers (aka Mön§igñor
ßoddoM)" wrote:

You have never seen a compressed air can do it's job then, they are
very effective.

Yeah, that cloud of fine particulate matter is a site to behold.

Might want to do this procedure outside,or you're just going to get all
that nasty stuff floating back to where it came from.

Nah, most of it collects in your lungs, so you don't have to worry
about your PC ;-)
--
Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com
Old March 22nd 07, 04:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

ßoddoM)" wrote:

You have never seen a compressed air can do it's job then, they are
very effective.

Yeah, that cloud of fine particulate matter is a site to behold.

Might want to do this procedure outside,or you're just going to get all
that nasty stuff floating back to where it came from.

Nah, most of it collects in your lungs, so you don't have to worry
about your PC ;-)

*HACK* Oh yeah, you're right!!!*COUGH*