I seriously doubt Xbox 360's ability to do 1080p

Old September 29th 06, 05:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
Benjamin Gawert

Default I seriously doubt Xbox 360's ability to do 1080p

* Zomoniac:

What a load of ********. HDTV does not mean HDCP. Try telling your
theory to the hundreds of thousands of HDTV owners around that are
currently watching HDTV on their telly that does not support HDCP...

I presume you're an American then, and have different rules. In the UK
you can't get HDTV without HDCP.

This has _nothing_ to do with the country. Seems you didn't understand
what "HD Ready" means. Of course nowhere in the world the "HD Ready"
logo is _required_ for HDTV, not in the US, and not in the UK. "HD
Ready" simply means that the device accepts a digital video signal with
HDCP encryption over HDMI or DVI. A HDTV TV set without "HD Ready" logo
is still HDTV, though, but without HDCP support and HDMI/DVI it's not
allowed to carry the logo. This is the case everywhere in the world.

So all the HDTV TV sets with analog component inputs are still HDTV,
even without "HD Ready" logo. They just lack the logo and can't display
encrypted HDCP content. But that doesn't mean they are not HDTV.

Besides that, the value of "HD Ready" for customers is exactly zero as
HDCP is just a copy protection system. HDCP also works with blacklists
so it's possible that some day your nice "HD Ready" device won't display
encrypted content any more because the movie industry thinks that this
device isn't secure enough any more...

Benjamin
Old September 29th 06, 05:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
Benjamin Gawert

* Chris F:

no, he's right, if a tv does not boast a HDMI port and a resolution
capable of displaing at least 720p, it can't be "officially" badged as
being HDTV ready in the UK, which is basically a way of showing that
the set is "futureproof"

"HD Ready" != HDTV ready...

Benjamin
Old September 29th 06, 08:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
Andrew

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:15:02 +1200, "nicely toasted"
wrote:

Yup, but for a TV to be HD Ready it has to be able to display HDTV, which
means HDCP.

What a load of ********. HDTV does not mean HDCP. Try telling your theory to
the hundreds of thousands of HDTV owners around that are currently watching
HDTV on their telly that does not support HDCP...

"HD Ready" does mean it has to have HDCP.
--
Andrew, contact via http://interpleb.googlepages.com
Old September 29th 06, 09:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
Zomoniac

On 2006-09-29 05:18:26 +0100, Benjamin Gawert said:

* Zomoniac:

[...]

What on earth is everyone going on about?! You said yourself, in the
above post, that for a TV to be labelled "HD Ready", not just "HDTV",
it has to carry HDMI with HDCP.

I pointed out that MS said "Xbox 360 supports HD Component video
output, which is
compatible with nearly every HD ready TV on the market today. That's
not yet true for HDMI."

and commented on their strange choice of wording. They didn't say every
HDTV, they said every HD *ready* TV, did not have HDMI. Which, as you
said yourself, it has to, by very definition. Yes, I know I'm just
being a pedantic ****, but nobody actually seems to understand what I'm
talking about and going on about something completely different.

--
Zo

For Sale: FIFA RTWC 06, Fight Night Round 3, Oblivion (all 360)

Old September 29th 06, 11:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
Shak

On 2006-09-28 19:59:28 +0100, "Paulo De Souza"
said:

Cos those little 23" Samsung HDs that are in the 360 demo pods aren't
allowed to say HD Ready, since without HDCP over HDMI they can't
actually display HDTV.

Don't know about the sticker or anything but HDTV is anything that can
display a 720p
picture. So anything with 1280x720 resolution or higher can output a HDTV
image.

Yup, but for a TV to be HD Ready it has to be able to display HDTV, which
means HDCP.

I'm not sure Freeview HD will be HDCP'd. I don't think that it has been
during the trial anyway.

Shak

Old September 29th 06, 12:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
Skipai Otter

On 2006-09-28 19:59:28 +0100, "Paulo De Souza"
said:

Cos those little 23" Samsung HDs that are in the 360 demo pods
aren't allowed to say HD Ready, since without HDCP over HDMI they
can't actually display HDTV.

Don't know about the sticker or anything but HDTV is anything that
can display a 720p
picture. So anything with 1280x720 resolution or higher can output
a HDTV image.

Yup, but for a TV to be HD Ready it has to be able to display HDTV,
which means HDCP.

I'm not sure Freeview HD will be HDCP'd. I don't think that it has
been during the trial anyway.

Yeah but for Freeview HD (Terrestrial HD for anyone outside the UK who
doesn't know) that's gonna have to wait until all analogue stations switch
off starting in areas around the UK in 2007 and finishing in 2012. That's
if they're still on track with that, mind you...

--
Skipai

Old September 29th 06, 01:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
Shak

"Skipai Otter" wrote in message
Shak wrote:
"Zomoniac" wrote in message

Yup, but for a TV to be HD Ready it has to be able to display HDTV,
which means HDCP.

I'm not sure Freeview HD will be HDCP'd. I don't think that it has
been during the trial anyway.

Yeah but for Freeview HD (Terrestrial HD for anyone outside the UK who
doesn't know) that's gonna have to wait until all analogue stations switch
off starting in areas around the UK in 2007 and finishing in 2012. That's
if they're still on track with that, mind you...

Yeh, alright. I was just disagreeing with all HDTV having to have HDCP. In
fact, can't you watch Sky HD over component too?

Shak

Old September 29th 06, 01:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
Zomoniac

Shak wrote:
"Zomoniac" wrote in message

Yup, but for a TV to be HD Ready it has to be able to display HDTV,
which means HDCP.

I'm not sure Freeview HD will be HDCP'd. I don't think that it has
been during the trial anyway.

Yeah but for Freeview HD (Terrestrial HD for anyone outside the UK who
doesn't know) that's gonna have to wait until all analogue stations
switch off starting in areas around the UK in 2007 and finishing in
2012. That's if they're still on track with that, mind you...

Yeh, alright. I was just disagreeing with all HDTV having to have HDCP.
In fact, can't you watch Sky HD over component too?

Probably. But sooner or later the big film studios will start telling
Sky that they want their content encrypting, and so to watch it you'll
need HDMI or HDCP over DVI. HD Ready (NOT the same as HDTV) is a mark
given to futureproofed TVs, a label that is awarded only if a tv a)
supports 720p minimum AND b) supports HD content through an analogue
connection AND c) supports HDCP protected content over a digital
source. Only if ALL three criteria are met can it be badged "HD Ready",
it's a standard to show that a set is futureproof and will still be
usable in a few years when HDCP over HDMI becomes compulsary (probably).

Old September 29th 06, 03:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
Zomoniac

On 2006-09-29 15:25:18 +0100, said:

Are you guys really going to argue about a friggin sticker???

I'm at work and bored out of my skull, so yes