What are your findings with SSDs ?

Old October 11th 18, 02:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default What are your findings with SSDs ?

Everytime my harddisk is slow/taxed I kinda wish and wondering about SSDs... how much would I really like it ?!

What I would HATE is losing all my data caused the SSD went dead or broken or corrupted.

So for this I ask you and I am wondering:

What are your practical findings with SSDs ?

How reliable did you find them in case you used them ?

How long have you been using SSDs ?

Did any break ? Get lost ? Damaged ? Static Discharge ? Overheated ? Corrupted ?

Any other issues ?

The biggest pain seems to be the small size, running out of disk space on C/system drive and big COSTS/price.

But let's assume size is going to increase in the future and price is coming down... what then ?

Harddisk reliability/safety vs SSDs reliability/safety.

Which technology do you trust the most for keeping your data safe ?

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 11th 18, 03:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 18:29:59 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

SSDs? ...Think of them as chrome tits: They're loverly.

Dead SSDs... SASMUNG, Crucial, Adata, Intel...Dram or Dramless... SLC
MLC TLC or (more of) soon QLC. Bricked, for some, means a read-state
failu read it but it won't write. These new ones aren't like the
old ones. Aside from more research than you probably want, the bottom
line to reading it all is that Samsung holds dominance. Do not assume
the last statement is not challenged, but remember that premium on
Samsung pricing is thinner since the prices fell through the floor.
Prices: 128G isn't actually worth considering and figure a 25-40%
dollar cost saving to you at every increment above...256G, 500G, 1T.

You won't want to go back if there aren't issues or bottlenecks to the
SSD. It's the closest you can get to running programs from memory on
a device-driven Virtual Drive. You run them, not store them -- they
need be electrically refreshed and not dry-docked stored, where
theoretical discharge factors affect data longevity.

Five years, I suppose, on my oldest 64G Samsung. The two units
additionally are also older than not, relative to newer TLC standards.
But mine are all MLC -- more expensive memory still now available at a
considerable price premium over TLC.

You run them in conjunction, I find, ideally with a mechanical
plattered drive. The aim is to target for your best performance gains
over how you personally use a computer;- obviously everyone loads and
runs the OS from a SDD. I'm, however, near to legally running out of
drive letter assignments, logical and primary drives, and that aim
favors drives more beneficial to the SSD according to how I access
sets of data over other sets.

You'll need to following current pricing at sales outlets for the
competition factor. Do you want to wait for this end of the year
holiday sales for a strike point, for instance.

Hardware. I bought and brought this computer up a couple days ago, a
succeeding Phenon II, because the controller chipset on my AMD2 socket
quad, the Phenom a generation prior, wouldn't recognize a Crucial SSD.
The AMD2 MB manufacture may a decade ago. I used a 2G-rated SATA HDD
Docking USB2 Station. After several attempts, resetting the OS USB
read status state by inserting a USB flashstick, then again to
reattach the USB Docking Station, with the Crucial SSD inserted, the
Crucial finally took to read the data. Not ideal.

Taking the same Crucial to another computer, across the room with
practically the same MB as this (repurchased MB), there were no
significant or immediately arresting issues with the Crucial unit. The
Samsungs performed more robustly, and I was able to mount a 128G
Samsung in the AMD2. There was still, however, lags and drags, in the
Samsung's performance on the AMD2 platform.

I demand immediacy, that things happen as instantaneously as a
crispness to a snap of these Blue mechanical keyboard switches I type
from. Fast and no delays, as would again favor assessment of a SDD
advantages and where they're best placed.

That took me the cost of a new MB, memory, and a used CPU, to get
precisely that. We're first talking fundamental hardware to establish
a benefit of software. We're also talking a level of competence for
understanding and meeting standards capable of, usually, benchmark
matrices placed, whereby people generally assess their personal level.
I get 150M/sec in driver-assisted sustained data transfers between two
SDDs;- close to 100M/sec in both SSD to mechanical, and same SDD to
same SDD;- 50M/sec in mechanical HDD to mechanical;- usual USB2
speeds, regardless, in limited driveless OS configuration.

Now you may ask someone else, perhaps read reviews, for what speeds
they get through a direct MB architectural provision for M.2 NAND and
top-dollar Pro-series MLC ports. Typically supported by only the
latest in hardware, perhaps Windows 10 or a finer specialty for the
*NIX environs than I am capable to provide.

Old October 11th 18, 06:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
[...]

They're a rich mans toy :-)

And with an old computer, it's not going to
help all that much.

For a SATA SSD, you'll want SATA III ports on the PC. The
current Dream PC may not have SATA III ports. A SATA II port
takes some of the "snap" out of an SSD. A SATA I port would
make ownership of an SSD almost pointless.

If you buy a SATA III card, it may work best with PCI Express
Rev 3 slots. The Dream PC may have Rev2 slots or a Rev1.1 slot
available.

For ultimate speed, there are M.2 drives. They can operate
at up to 2500MB/sec. And they can get warm enough to throttle
their operating speed due to the peak temperature. Those would
only be practical on a brand new PC. You cannot effectively
retrofit those to the older machines. I don't own one of those,
as I have no place to put it. On a new motherboard with
slots for those, you can boot from an M.2 drive and
get the best advantage from it.

I have three SATA SSDs and more than twenty hard drives.
Only one of the SSDs is used "properly" as a boot drive.
The other two aren't being used for any useful purpose.

Whereas all the hard drives have roles to play. The
500GB drives are used for scratch OS installs. The 4TB
drives are used for slinging backups around. The 2TB
drives are used for OS boot drives (for older OSes).
I put Windows 10 on the SSD, because a hard drive
was just too slow. None of the above hardware has failed
while I've been using it. The 500GB drives have acquired
an abnormal amount of reallocations but so far, no drive
has dropped dead because of it.

Save your money for the next Dream PC. You need a good
platform, to dream of adding rich mans toys.

The sad part is, fast hardware is sometimes embarrassingly
slow when the software is finished with it. I have a
storage device that does 4GB/sec, and yet, with the
wrong software, the write rate was only 1MB/sec. In
other words, off by a factor of four thousand.
Boy do I feel dumb...

Paul
Old October 11th 18, 11:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike[_33_]

On 10/10/2018 6:29 PM, wrote:
Everytime my harddisk is slow/taxed I kinda wish and wondering about SSDs... how much would I really like it ?!

What I would HATE is losing all my data caused the SSD went dead or broken or corrupted.

So for this I ask you and I am wondering:

What are your practical findings with SSDs ?

How reliable did you find them in case you used them ?

How long have you been using SSDs ?

Did any break ? Get lost ? Damaged ? Static Discharge ? Overheated ? Corrupted ?

Any other issues ?

The biggest pain seems to be the small size, running out of disk space on C/system drive and big COSTS/price.

But let's assume size is going to increase in the future and price is coming down... what then ?

Harddisk reliability/safety vs SSDs reliability/safety.

Which technology do you trust the most for keeping your data safe ?

Two copies on paper. One in the fire safe and one at the bank safety
deposit box.

Bye,
Skybuck.

I have three solid state drives: 120GB, 250GB and 500GB.
Have a total of $12 invested in them.
The Samsung EVO 850 was new in the box.
And I still didn't have confidence to use them.

I finally bit the bullet and put win10 on a laptop.
Intolerably slow. The 250G SSD made it quite spry.
Have few hours actual use, so can't judge life, but
win10 on the laptop is worthless without it.

Decided a few weeks ago to start upgrading my primary
win7 system with win10. Since I lack confidence in win10,
I built a dual-core Optiplex 780SFF. I had no original
intention, but I installed the 500GB SSD on a whim.
Paranoid as I am, I overprovisioned by 100GB and added a
second 500GB 2.5" spinner.

Turns out that the cpuz performance metrics show the 780
cpu performance to be twice the single core metrics
on the quad core win7 system and the multicore metrics
are equivalent, cuz I've got half as many cores.
That surprised me. But the improvement due to the SSD
was DRAMATIC. I'm used to waiting for stuff to happen.
Now, if I blink, I'll miss that it happened and will be
waiting until I notice the change. Of course, your usage
may be different.

Not enough usage to learn anything about failures.
I am doing everything I can to limit writes.
Yes, I make regular system backups.

I scuttled the plan to upgrade the quad core system and will
just let it sit justincase.

The interesting question is, "would I do it again at retail
SSD prices?" Probably not. I'd just stick with win7.
Win 10 was the driving force. We're gonna have to switch
eventually...now seemed to be the right time.

My win10 experiments over the years using ordinary hard drives
have been frustrating.

I have some Velociraptor drives that make win10 tolerable.
With the SSD, it's a no brainer...except for the retail cost.
Old October 11th 18, 05:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 22:22:48 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

Five years, I suppose, on my oldest 64G Samsung. The two
unitsadditionally are also older than not, relative to newer TLC
standards.

-

The quick and dirty of it is that TBW Terabytes Written is what the
drive manufacturers produce at some balance to a yearly warranty
period, which can range from 1 to 5 years. For some that can be like
a car batter or tires "pro-rating". Say you send in your deceased
SSD: the manufacturer may then turn around, run diagnostics, and
inform you you're out of luck because you've exceeded the TBW rating
of their drive: TBW ratings can run from anywhere to 75 to 400
terabytes written before the drive goes brain dead.

Which tends to be exasperating to many people looking to get into all
the great and good things going on with this new generation of SSDs.

Where the "rub" comes into play is at the industry trade shows. There
are many, many lesser SSD brand names poised at discounts of as low as
$50/US for a 256G SSD unit;- sub-$30/US units also occasionally
happen. They're going south, price wise and fast, into flashstick
memory territorial pricing. Yet there aren't nearly so many brands
actually capable of producing the type of memory, NAND variants,
comprising these low-priced modern wonders.

That sub-$30, off-brand SSD is what is going into a likes of less
expensive production laptops. It's also highly likely to be at the
low extreme of TBW ratings, effectively without a warranty. Trade
show representation informally gives such drives one year operational
leeway.

On the other hand, Samsung and near 400 TBW ratings for TLC NAND is
what is driving the force behind the "low-cost alternative" to former
MLC drives, and why everybody and their mule wants one now-a-days.
Old October 11th 18, 09:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bill[_39_]

Mike wrote:

Win 10 was the driving force.Â* We're gonna have to switch
eventually...now seemed to be the right time.

Yes, I've been practicing with Linux Mint for when that time comes...
Old October 11th 18, 11:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike[_33_]

On 10/11/2018 1:42 PM, Bill wrote:
Mike wrote:

Win 10 was the driving force.Â* We're gonna have to switch
eventually...now seemed to be the right time.

Yes, I've been practicing with Linux Mint for when that time comes...

I admire your persistence.
I've tried many times, but keep running into deal breakers.
I just can't subscribe to, "if it ain't supported, you
don't need it" and "all you gotta do is completely
change the way you do stuff" and "If you're too stupid to
learn C, stick with your decades of visual basic programs."
Old October 12th 18, 03:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Paul wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I tested my 500GB hard drive and my 256GB SSD on
boot times. Neither is all that impressive, when
Tomshardware says they managed to boot Windows 10 in
around 5 seconds (with Fast Boot enabled).

I don't have Fast Boot enabled. My kernel boots
fresh each time and is not refrigerated.

SSD 49 seconds (17763.55)
HDD 149 seconds (17134.xxx)
152 seconds (17763.55)

Booting is miserably slow no matter what.

My dual boot Insider Edition takes even longer
than the HDD result (as it's on a HDD too).

The only thing slower than that, is booting
the Gentoo demo DVD with a couple hundred drivers
on it :-) That takes about three minutes.

And working with the HDD today, reminds me it
is a pretty miserable experience. Going back
to Windows 7 is the answer :-/ It takes
about 59 seconds for the desktop to appear,
and around the 85 second mark before it's
ready for input from the user.

HDD 59 seconds (7601.17514 , Win7 SP1)

Paul
Old October 12th 18, 07:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 22:19:41 -0400, Paul
wrote:

I tested my 500GB hard drive and my 256GB SSD on boot times. Neither
is all that impressive, when Tomshardware says

-

Most of my programs are portable and not too extensively tied into the
OS, for those that invariably need be linked mostly for small saved
preference file links. Hence, they're collectively kept, easily apart
on another partition. A shift is also then possible for not only a
faster boot, but regularly rewriting the OS from streaming binary
back-up. With a 800G OS image, for instance, it's possible to achieve
that rewrite in 45 seconds. Pretty much in keeping with boot times
experienced, that they're near half a time for having to work off
platters. I do it from early or pre-Symantec Norton Ghost Enterprise,
so it's basic DOS command prompt stuff at native chipset thruput. It
doesn't matter if I go with a binary stream SSD SSD, I'll get the
same speeds as HDD SSD. What I do get by adding a SSD , though, is
twice the speed of either HDD0 HDD1, or, potential worse, same HDD
image across to same.

I don't notice so much boot times. They're fast enough. I do, though,
notice while digging around in the OS, trying to keep it lean for fast
high-compression image rewrites. Hammering ... testing for hard and
software stability, repeatedly rebooting over failed attempts, to
eventually gain a solution, becomes increasingly an imposition without
reasonably fast image rewrites SSDs offer.

I hardly even notice anomalies and just leave it online. Anomalies on
occasion to surface, although I don't even bother to think twice:
99.9% of the time a rewrite has the desired effect on anything
unusual. It's as much a matter of course, every few days, a week in
passing at most before I rewrite. I've been streaming religiously
since W95, when I bought a piece of crap BioStar MB specifically for
an added free Norton Ghost incentive, so SSDs were the immediately
welcome hit on an impact over time saved in that aspect.

Question about SSDs Charlie Hoffpauir Homebuilt PC's 3 December 6th 14 10:55 PM
SSDs? Ron Hardin Dell Computers 1 September 10th 14 05:37 AM
My Findings on DVD-RAM Gerry_uk Cdr 3 September 19th 06 05:43 AM
rather odd ASUS/NVIDIA findings chris 159 Nvidia Videocards 1 May 16th 06 12:23 AM
GI.biz reports their own findings on Revolution: 2.5 times more powerful than Gamecube [email protected] Ati Videocards 1 December 8th 05 12:02 AM