Q/A Why Is it Two Hands are better to grip your Butt Cheeks

Old September 29th 18, 10:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Q/A Why Is it Two Hands are better to grip your Butt Cheeks

When it's not apparently enough to just to backup data, in the event
of hardware failure, two computers are better than one.

I replaced my blown-up computer. The power company replaced their
Pole Pig. We are both sad victims of lightning.

My cost is now $120 for new CPU, MEM, & MB. Less than $75 an hour,
each, for two extra big guys to climb up a pole and replace a Green
Pig in about two to three hours. I guess. About how long I was out
for a hot drink in a breezy location for open doors and air
conditioning. Just in time to say thanks and bye when I got back and
they were finishing up.

I don't know categorically if the lightning strike cooked both the CPU
and MB. That it doesn't POST after a PS and single stack mem-bank
swap is enough.

It's not worth my time to dick around with the old Intel MB and
Intel's LGA pin arrangement. At least for the time being. I may have
a spare good Intel for that particular socket at some later point to
test.

The above old DDR2 800 memory is also too ancient, although I'd bet
more or less an available used Ebay item. I doubt I've any of that
stuff for spares, but could be wrong. If a CPU swap doesn't get it,
I'm not sinking any more time parts and money in it.

I went to straight rank-&-file AMD Phenom pins. DDR3 1600MHz
(PC3-12800) is pretty much nominally priced these days. The old CPU
cooler is of the great-butted variant among Thermaltake monstrosities,
and will salvage just fine.

AMD Phenom II X4 805 2500MHz 512KBx4 4MB Deneb 45nm C2 95W 4000 F3
Price is comparable to Ebay, or nobody's giving away Phenom quads at
sub-$20, mistakenly for Athlon II Socket AMD3's.

For the extra $120 I spent, I think I can do a whole hell of a lot
better than what I'm running now -- that being a socket AMD2 MB. It's
OK for an old computer, never severely brain-bludgeoned by lightning.
Not exactly quite a clunker, but it does have the miles. Nor does
reasonable and better have to equate to only balls-out searing speed.
I've already got another 4GHz computer, and that's not all of it.
Old September 30th 18, 12:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Flasherly wrote:
[...]

I would save the CPU and RAM.

You can test them when you run into a motherboard
with the correct sockets.

Paul
Old September 30th 18, 05:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 29 Sep 2018 19:46:31 -0400, Paul
wrote:

I would save the CPU and RAM.

You can test them when you run into a motherboard
with the correct sockets.

These are the "pulls" I've been through on it, probably going on a
decade of useage:
MB is a Gigabyte G41MT-S2PT F2

ebay
Intel Pentium D 805 2.66 GHz LGA 775 CPU SL8ZH 2M/533 dual core 64-bit
10.95 shipped

ebay
INTEL CORE 2 DUO PROCESSOR E6850 3GHz/4M/1333MHz SLA9U CPU
$11.95 Standard Shipping

ebay
INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q8200 SLG9S 2.33GHZ 4MB CACHE 1333MHZ DESKTOP CPU
$24.99 USPS First Class Package FREE

Actually, you could argue the Q8200 is very decent.

I'm running in the same class with this old AMD2 MB. I just never
realized it before, using the AM2 for a multimedia setup, which got
updated to an AMD3+ earlier this year. Putting the socket AMD2 on the
WWW, however, a different focus on hardware, and it didn't take long
at all to miss the S775.

It's the first and only time I've suffered lightning damage, although
it's a regular seasonal repair industry around these parts. Some
areas being lots more prone to hits than my assessment and
expectations for my area.

It seems all pretty much water under the bridge, given extensive
damage to the S775 ... be lucky they'd want it, even if it were
running, to donate it to a church or youth organization. With
everything so Windows 10 these days, wouldn't surprise me if it were
turned down.

The AMD3+ ordered is a no-brainer, I should be able to build in my
sleep;- an Intel I'd have to put in more study for the same angles,
namely CPU pulls, possibly as well costlier. The AMD2 socket should be
able to perform a bare functional backup of the AMD3+, an extra, also
at times useful for a go-between functionality between computers.

Sure, I'll save the CPU, although LGA775 and DDR2 is pretty much
scrap. I even have an 8088 "saved" - doubtful the computer it's
socketed in will power up: small and amazing wonders, once upon a time
long ages ago: a cyan Hercules Mono laptop with a pricetag to make one
blush brite red.