followup on geek squad repair

Old June 19th 08, 05:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
J.Lef

Default followup on geek squad repair

I received my gateway laptop back today after two weeks. The
complaint was a backlight that would sporadically not work.
It was under extended warranty, and this is what they said they did.
( I didnt send them the hard drive by the way. )

"adjusted video cables and reapplied thermal paste. Replaced optical
drive. Unit tests functional."

So I can see why I had the sporadic problem with the back light,
but they couldnt answer what was done to prevent this from reoccuring, since
this is the second time it has happened.
Also, the optical drive(cd, dvd combo), was barely used, and never
had a problem.
I wonder what they saw to feel they had to replace this.
Also, is thermal paste something that would get reapplied if done
correctly from the beginning?

Thanks for any info or comments.

Jerry

Old June 19th 08, 06:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Postman delivers

J.Lef wrote:

I received my gateway laptop back today after two weeks. The
complaint was a backlight that would sporadically not work.
It was under extended warranty, and this is what they said they did.
( I didnt send them the hard drive by the way. )

"adjusted video cables and reapplied thermal paste. Replaced optical
drive. Unit tests functional."

So I can see why I had the sporadic problem with the back light,
but they couldnt answer what was done to prevent this from reoccuring,
since this is the second time it has happened.
Also, the optical drive(cd, dvd combo), was barely used, and never
had a problem.
I wonder what they saw to feel they had to replace this.
Also, is thermal paste something that would get reapplied if done
correctly from the beginning?

Thanks for any info or comments.

Jerry

* * *
Jerry,

Inverter is many time the reason a backlight does not function, maybe
applying some paste to keep the cables from moving about and working lose
from the inverter was the solution...

If they replaced the Optical drive maybe it did not pass a test or two they
tossed at the unit...

In my opinion there is no guarantee, and inverters have always been very
finicky bunch...

The inverters are far worse than a group of wives at the company picnic
checking out all the new office staff hires...

JR the postman
Old June 19th 08, 06:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

THERMAL paste? Between the CPU and the heat sink? Why?

Replace the optical drive? Why?

Fix the reported problem? Hah!

See my earlier comments about Geek Squad. On the average, they are worse than
the company wives mentioned in another posting, and far worse than inverters in
terms of flakiness... Ben Myers

Old June 20th 08, 07:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
William R. Walsh

Hi!

( I didnt send them the hard drive by the way. )

Good idea. :-)

So I can see why I had the sporadic problem with the back light, but they
couldnt answer what was done to prevent this from reoccuring,
since this is the second time it has happened.

It may happen again. There may be an issue with the design of the laptop,
especially if the cause was in fact a loose cable. There may simply not be
anything that the repair staff feels that they can do about it.

Also, the optical drive(cd, dvd combo), was barely used, and never had a
problem.

I've seen this replaced on laptops under warranty even when the drive was
working fine. I'm not sure why it happens, but Compaq used to do it to me
almost all the time. If my laptop went in for any repair, it just about
always came back with a new optical drive.

Also, is thermal paste something that would get reapplied if done
correctly from the beginning?

Yes, it can be. If you take a laptop apart to any significant degree (see
http://12.206.251.215/d800fanrepair/ for my adventures) then you will end up
disturbing surfaces that mate with one another for the purpose of heat
transfer. To ensure that the heat leaves the system as intended, heatsink
compound (or thermal paste) is typically applied at each mating point that
is used for heat transfer in the system.

If you take a laptop apart that far, and if you are careful, there may be no
need to re-apply the paste/compound. For someone doing repairs on many
laptops, they may not have the time to be that careful, and since they don't
want to see your computer back for overheating damage caused by lack of
thermal compound, they will probably replace it as a matter of course.

William

Old June 20th 08, 05:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
J.Lef

Much thanks for all responses, as always.
Jerry

Old July 18th 08, 07:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
JR the Postman

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 13:50:53 -0400, Ben Myers wrote:

THERMAL paste? Between the CPU and the heat sink? Why?

Replace the optical drive? Why?

Fix the reported problem? Hah!

See my earlier comments about Geek Squad. On the average, they are
worse than the company wives mentioned in another posting, and far worse
than inverters in terms of flakiness... Ben Myers

Ben,

I forgot to post this, info: Geek Squad

Stealing porn or more from your system...
www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=12593

Confession of a Geek Squad tech -
http://consumerist.com/consumer/the-...pride,-shame,-
and-morality/the-10-page-geek-squad-confession-+-stealing-customers-nudie-
pics-was-an-easter-egg-hunt-257108.php

Shower photos -
www.associatedcontent.com/article/213527/
best_buy_being_sued_over_shower_taping.html

JR the postman

How Good Is The "Geek Squad" The Browns General 25 April 6th 14 09:35 PM
Just put a 120mm fan on the top of my tower case, iam such a GEEK :( Little TeaPot Homebuilt PC's 7 September 13th 04 03:00 PM
Off topic the scoop on geek Paul Samiljan Homebuilt PC's 1 October 29th 03 04:40 AM
geek Ebay Maniac Storage (alternative) 0 August 21st 03 08:17 AM
How to give a 'Quiet freek' Computer Geek a stroke dorothy.bradbury Homebuilt PC's 0 July 9th 03 03:43 PM