GF FX5200 in DELL 4550 gives WinXP BSOD

Old July 22nd 03, 04:12 PM
Jonathan Eales

Default GF FX5200 in DELL 4550 gives WinXP BSOD

You could be right as I already have an extra disk drive (for backup) and a
better sound card installed in my DELL 4550. I'll find out when I build the
system that has a 300W PSU.

I wouldn't have thought that a FX5200 would draw as much current as an old
GeForce 2 Ultra 64MB (overclocked) with a substantial heatsink and fan on
it.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Jonathan

"Wanderer" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:50:49 +0100, "Jonathan Eales"
wrote:

Just bought an Inno3D GeForce FX5200 (64-bit) 128MB video card to replace

my
GeForce 2 Ultra. I can't get it reliably past the 'Welcome' screen in
Windows XP Home (with SP1). I even get Blue Screens of Death. Sometimes

it
does work for a couple of minutes and then the monitor goes off into
power-save mode, like its lost the video signal. I've tried:

using the latest 44.03 WHQL drivers
my original 43.45 WHQL drivers
using the Inno3D drivers that came with the card
reseating the card
running in different resolutions and colour depths
checking for heat, the card has a fan that is running and appears to be

cool

The system specification is:

DELL Dimension 4550
· Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.53GHz

· Intel 845E chipset with support for 266MHz DDR RAM & 333MHz DDR

RAM.

· 512MB DDR PC2700 RAM (2x256MB DIMM)
60GB IDE Hard Drive (7200 rpm)
Dell 15" Analogue TFT Flat Panel Monitor

Windows XP Home (with SP1).

Anybody have any ideas why this is happening? It seems to be a driver

error
according to the BSOD in nv4.

I can always use the card in a home-built computer that I'll be putting
together later this week when the necessary bits come. I'd thought I'd

try
this FX5200 out first and see how it compared to my old faithful GeForce

2
Ultra card. I guess that I've found out!

Jonathan

Could be a power issue. Dell is notoriously known for using puny PSUs
that can barely run what ships in the system.

Old July 22nd 03, 08:26 PM
Steve D

Hate to say it, but you may have the "infinite loop" issue....if this is the
case, put your head between your legs and kiss.....many have suffered from
this and there is no sure fire fix....
here is a link that may help..

http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=64

Old July 25th 03, 05:30 PM
Jonathan Eales

Just an update. I did install it in the new PC and it worked perfectly (and
rather slowly). So it seems that it was a lack of power in my DELL 4550
which gave these problems.

Jonathan