8500DV - on restart WinXP h/w auto detect reinstalls old drivers I just removed!!

Old July 6th 04, 09:29 PM
Ian Roberts

Default 8500DV - on restart WinXP h/w auto detect reinstalls old drivers I just removed!!

Hi

Sorry to be so long winded with this. Just hope that someone can assist me
in cleaning this up...

Having just finished a fresh install of Win XP Pro I downloaded the lastest
CATALYST 4.6 display drivers to replace the 2001 drivers (which are
pitifully buggy) that Windows update had obtained and installed.

The install instructions for 4.6 very specifically states that all the old
drivers must be removed before attempting to install the new ones.

I carefully followed the instructions which say go to control panel,
add/remove programs and remove "ATI display driver".

This is the first stumbling block as the ATI display driver isnt in the
list. So I went to cp/display/settings/advanced/adaptor/properties/driver
and clicked on uninstall driver.

All seemed OK but upon restarting, windows XP auto detects "new" hardware
and installs the drivers I just removed. I then get caught in a loop of
attempting remove and then auto detect reinstalls them!

So to hell with it I thought and installed the new drivers anyway.

All seems OK except I cant get a res higher than 800x600. Ive got a 19"
trinitron monitor which I use at 1152x864, 32bit 100hz referesh on my other
install of Win XP ( I multi-boot various incarnations of windows).

Why are the ATI drivers and software such a pig to install and work with?

Can anyone give me clear instructions on how to completly remove all the ATI
software and then do a fresh install of the display drivers and MMC and also
explain what order I should install everything in.

This is the installation order as I understand it:
MS DX9b
MS WMEncoder
ATI Display Driver
ATI DAO MDAC (mmc-9-1-0-0-dao-mdac.exe)
ATI DVD encoder (atiCDwiz-v3-0.exe)
ATI MMC (mmc-9-1-0-0.exe)

Thanks a lot for reading all this and any assistance you may be able to
offer.

Ian

Old July 7th 04, 07:59 PM
patrickp

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 21:29:34 +0100, "Ian Roberts"
wrote:

[...]

It's not the Ati drivers that are the pig here, it's the M$ Update
drivers. You should _not_ have installed them. Go to
http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/m...lystutils.html and
download cat-uninstaller.exe. Now uninstall everything Ati you can
and reboot. Run the cat-uninstaller. Hopefully, this will remove the
Windows Update driver, too and, if you're lucky, leave your card
running on the default VGA driver that it would have been had you not
let Windows install the Update driver. If so, (and after reinstalling
DX9 to be on the safe side) you should be able to install the Ati
driver.

Otherwise, you'll probably need to flatten your system and reinstall
Windows. This time, do _not_ let Windows install a driver. And do
remember to install your chipset drivers and DX9 first.

The moral? You just found out - _never_ install Windows Update
drivers.

patrickp

- take five to email me
Old July 9th 04, 09:54 AM
Gordon Scott

Ian Roberts wrote:

[...]

NEVER use the drivers on windows update, they are OLD by at least six
months. All that section of windows update is OPTIONAL anyway.

install order for 8500 dv
assuming you have dx9 installed and whatever other OS goodies you want
already in.

wdm drivers do not reboot
ati drivers reboot

then,,,
MMC
DVD
etc etc reboot as required
Old July 13th 04, 11:07 AM
Ian Roberts

"Ian Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Guys

Thats very clear and helpful.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Regards

Ian I^)

Old July 13th 04, 07:16 PM
patrickp

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:07:21 +0100, "Ian Roberts"
wrote:

[...]

So,how did you fare, Ian?

patrickp

- take five to email me
Old July 17th 04, 12:25 AM
Bob Street

I had to trash my 8500DV after upgrading drivers. I started getting red
spots and it went down hill from there.

Old July 20th 04, 01:16 PM
Ian Roberts

"patrickp" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:07:21 +0100, "Ian Roberts"
wrote:

big snip....

So,how did you fare, Ian?

patrickp

Hi Patrick

Thanks for asking.

Ive been away on biz so havent had a chance to sort it out yet.

I'll be back in touch to let you know once Ive got round to it.

Regards

Ian