Hard Drive Making Grinding Sound

Old April 24th 04, 01:43 PM
Si

Default Hard Drive Making Grinding Sound

When I switched on my PC this morning, the hard drive made a grinding sound
throughout the boot up process and then, just before the logon screen, the
monitor switched itself off and then came back on again. The computer seems
to work fine aftewards with no excessive noise from the hard drive. I should
point out that I do know the sort of noise a hard drive should make and this
isn't it.

Do you think the hard drive is on the way out?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Si

Old April 24th 04, 02:37 PM
Robert Downes

Si wrote:

When I switched on my PC this morning, the hard drive made a grinding sound
throughout the boot up process and then, just before the logon screen, the
monitor switched itself off and then came back on again. The computer seems
to work fine aftewards with no excessive noise from the hard drive. I should
point out that I do know the sort of noise a hard drive should make and this
isn't it.

Do you think the hard drive is on the way out?

I can't be sure what that noise was, but I am sure that backing up
everything you value from your hard drive right now is a good idea.

Your monitor turned off and on? Was your neighbourhood suffering a
brownout or low voltage? Maybe your PSU is struggling. Has your machine
done this before during boot?
--
Bob
London, UK
Old April 24th 04, 03:44 PM
Si

Hey Bob,

The monitor has never done this before and it's new as well. I've tried this
a few time since and the same thing happens. Grinding noise followed by the
monitor thing. Weird!! Like I said before, the PC runs fine once it's on and
the hard drive makes the usual noise that it does. I'm pretty sure the two
are connected. I'm also about to transfer the components to a new case but
am waiting to see if I need a new hard drive before I set about doing this.
I don't know if this is important, but I do have a total of four hard drives
in my machine but I'm assuming that it's the C drive that's making the noise
as this is the one with the OS on it.

Cheers.

Si

Old April 24th 04, 04:48 PM

Si wrote:

[...]

First off you cannot assume that it is the C: drive that is causing
your problem. It could be any of the drives drawing so much current
that the voltage level is lowered enough to effect the video. You
should first determine which drive it is that is causing your problem,
and then RUN not WALK, for a replacement if there is anything on it of
value.

Old April 24th 04, 05:45 PM
Robert Downes

Si wrote:
Hey Bob,

The monitor has never done this before and it's new as well. I've tried this
a few time since and the same thing happens. Grinding noise followed by the
monitor thing. Weird!! Like I said before, the PC runs fine once it's on and
the hard drive makes the usual noise that it does. I'm pretty sure the two
are connected. I'm also about to transfer the components to a new case but
am waiting to see if I need a new hard drive before I set about doing this.
I don't know if this is important, but I do have a total of four hard drives
in my machine but I'm assuming that it's the C drive that's making the noise
as this is the one with the OS on it.

That's a lot of power being drawn at boot. What power supply unit do you
have in your machine?
Old April 24th 04, 05:54 PM
Si

It's a 450 watt one. I've had the same components for about a year now and
this is the first time I've had any problems.

Old April 24th 04, 09:34 PM
Onideus Mad Hatter

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 13:43:46 +0100, "Si" wrote:

When I switched on my PC this morning, the hard drive made a grinding sound
throughout the boot up process and then, just before the logon screen, the
monitor switched itself off and then came back on again. The computer seems
to work fine aftewards with no excessive noise from the hard drive. I should
point out that I do know the sort of noise a hard drive should make and this
isn't it.

Do you think the hard drive is on the way out?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

If you're going to ASSume that it's the "C: Drive" (whatever the hell you mean by that), I'm going
to ASSume that you're an idiot...so I'm going to treat you like one.

First of all, open up your case. See them funny lil 4 wire connectors? Do you see the one that
connects into the funny lil black or silver box? The lil box should be near the FRONT of your case,
it's about ONE INCH high, about FIVE INCHES in width and about EIGHT INCHES in length? Yeah,
disconnect that funny lil 4 wire connector. Now turn on your machine. Is the noise still there?
Yeah, that's what I thought. It's not yer hard drive, it's one of your fans.

Now what you wanna do is take it to your local computer repair shop and ask them to fix it for you.
I would TELL YOU how to fix it yourself, but like I said, I'm ASSuming that you're an idiot, so I
don't think you have the capability nor understanding to do it yourself without ****ing it up. Hope
that helps! ^_^

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹
Old April 24th 04, 10:41 PM
Jon Danniken

"Si" wrote:
It's a 450 watt one. I've had the same components for about a year now and
this is the first time I've had any problems.

Which brand PSU?

Jon

Old April 24th 04, 11:20 PM
Si

Hey Jon,

It's a Zalman and it's 400 watt not 450.

Si

Old April 24th 04, 11:29 PM
Si

Since you think it's one of the fans I'm going to assume that you are a
****** and will treat YOU as one!!

Si

newshjl805bnj7rlmrtheiqdcjgejt01kivf9@farfoos...