Anyone went from nVidia to ATI?

Old October 24th 04, 10:57 PM
Mike P

What motherboard do you have? The generic MS drivers act like you describe
but should ID the card properly. It's the card not identifying that is
causing the driver install to fail as well I suspect.
I never unistall the MS drivers before putting the ATI in (the card is ATI,
not another brand?)
Try leaving the MS drivers in although I suspect the card id to be bad for
some reason. Was the card's bios ever flashed? Also try a good nvidia
driver cleaner and installing xpSP2... assuming you're using XP.. also make
sure you use the proper os (xp, 2k, etc) drivers.

It seems to me that the card may be bad, either a bad unit or a bad flash.
But I've never seen that arror in about 30 ATI builds I've done, I might be
missing something.

Mike

"Ben C" wrote in message
"Mike P" wrote in message
Ben C, I looked back but I can't see exactly what the problem is with
your card. snip
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...powercons.html

Mike

Thanks Mike. My old nVidia card was a tiny GeForce 5200. It used so
little power that it didn't even have a power socket on it. The new card
is much larger, with whopping heatsinks and a power socket. As I only
have a 300W PSU, feeding 2 hard drives, 2 DVD drives, and a bunch of
USB/Firewire peripherals, I suspect that my PSU needs upgrading but I'm
not at all certain. The attempted upgrade went as follows:

1 - Uninstalled all the old drivers
2 - Powered off
3 - Removed the old card, inserted the new card and connected power to it.
4 - Powered on
5 - Windows recognises the new card. Firstly I let it try installing by
itself. At the end, the card does not appear to be working, as even
scrolling web pages are jumpy. Device manager lists the card but with
'Microsoft' beside it. I guess this is because it's tried using MS
drivers.
6 - Uninstalled drivers and rebooted. Then cancelled the automatic
Windows install and manually installed using drivers from the install
disk. Error messages in the install process ('SEVERE - Zero display
service error'). Same end result.
7 - Uninstalled drivers and rebooted. Then cancelled the automatic
Windows install and manually used the latest drivers from ATI's site.
Same errors, and same end result.
8 - Tried various other options, including disconnecting my CD/DVD drives,
all USB devices and one hard drive before powering up again. The card
still appears to be not working.

Perhaps my card is faulty. Any other theories? Thanks for any
opinions/theories as to the cause/remedy...

Old October 24th 04, 11:39 PM
Chip

"GT-Force" wrote in message
. ..
If you've read more than the topic, you sould have seen my question. Here
it is once more, for you:

"Is there anyone here that went to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If
so, what was the old and the new cards, and what were the issues?"

I do not know, how clearer can I make it? Sorry...

Did you ***READ*** what you posted. i.e. the TITLE to this thread. Please
READ it!

I quote you: " Anyone went FROM nVidia to ATI"

Now read what you just said above.

See the confusion???? Complete opposites.

Chip

"Chip" wrote in message
"GT-Force" wrote in message
.. .
Hi,

I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I
am thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here
that went to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old
and the new cards, and what were the issues?

Thanks.

GT

GT, can I ask you:

What is your question????!?!??!?? Please can you re-state it? Everyone
is jumping in with answers, and yet we don't actually know what your
question is.

Your post says FROM nvidia TO ati

Your test says TO nvidia FROM ati

Which is it???????

Chip

Old October 25th 04, 01:24 AM
tq96

Tour ps theories arew crap because what matters is the power rating on
the power rails of the ps. A cheap 400w will be outperformed by a
good 300w generally speaking. And I ran an overclocked 9800np on a

Plus many PSUs are only good at their rated power up to 25C, a temperature
that will not be present at full power output. My old Enermax 460 watt
dropped to 80% over 25C making it really only able to output 368 watts.
Old October 25th 04, 03:41 AM
GT-Force

Yes, I see the confusion, and I say that the text has the real question. If
you've read the text, in addition to the title, you'd see what the real
question was. Apparently, my mind was working backwards while typing the
title, but gladly, the text has it all.
That's all. Sorry if the confusion hurt your brain so much...
Take care...
GT

"Chip" wrote in message

"GT-Force" wrote in message
. ..
If you've read more than the topic, you sould have seen my question. Here
it is once more, for you:

"Is there anyone here that went to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If
so, what was the old and the new cards, and what were the issues?"

I do not know, how clearer can I make it? Sorry...

Did you ***READ*** what you posted. i.e. the TITLE to this thread.
Please READ it!

I quote you: " Anyone went FROM nVidia to ATI"

Now read what you just said above.

See the confusion???? Complete opposites.

Chip

"Chip" wrote in message
.. .

Old October 25th 04, 12:49 PM
Joachim Trensz

Richard Cavell wrote:
On 22/10/04 5:39 PM, Inglo wrote:

I just ran it at those settings and I'm at about 60-70 fps, never higher
than 71 fps. VSync is off. I'm using the Condition Zero version of CS,
by the way.

Richard,

I've never had this happen to me, but some folks with fps issues after
switching to an ATI seem to have issues with the old Nvidia drivers not
having been deinstalled entirely. Apparently just deinstalling the card
and drivers in Windows System Manager sometimes isn't enough.

There are driver deinstallation tools available on the net which you
might want to give a try. I have no URL unfortunately.

For what it's worth, I went from a GF4 Ti4600 to a Radeon 9700 Pro, and
the visual quality was dramatically better on the Radeon, while the fps
was maybe not that much higher without FF and Aniso enabled, but with
4xFF and 8xAniso, the Radeon outran the 4600 by landmiles.

Don't give up just yet

--
Achim
http://users.skynet.be/AchimT
Old October 25th 04, 03:19 PM
Scotter

I *believe* the Radeon 9700 Pro is an entire generation of card newer than
the GeForce 4 cards so yeah, it should blow the Ti4600 out of the water.
Here is a link to a great driver deinstaller:
http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

Old October 26th 04, 12:33 AM
Ben C

"Mike P" wrote in message
What motherboard do you have? The generic MS drivers act like you
describe but should ID the card properly. It's the card not identifying
that is causing the driver install to fail as well I suspect.
I never unistall the MS drivers before putting the ATI in (the card is
ATI, not another brand?)
Try leaving the MS drivers in although I suspect the card id to be bad for
some reason. Was the card's bios ever flashed? Also try a good nvidia
driver cleaner and installing xpSP2... assuming you're using XP.. also
make sure you use the proper os (xp, 2k, etc) drivers.

It seems to me that the card may be bad, either a bad unit or a bad flash.
But I've never seen that arror in about 30 ATI builds I've done, I might
be missing something.

Mike

Ahhhhh, that's better. So much for me regurgitating common myths about
inadequate PSUs! I just upgraded the PSU from 300W to 450W and as if by
magic, my shiny new ATI card works like a dream. Still had the cryptic
error message during the install, but I just OK'd it and the card seems to
be working beautifully. Thanks for the moral support while I wrestled with
it! Dontcha just love a happy ending?!

Ben

Old October 28th 04, 02:02 PM
Barry Kelman

I have just "upgraded" from Ti4600 to 9700pro and to be honest I don't see
muct improvement while playing Call of Duty or Medal of Honor.

Forgive my ignorance but where do you set FF anansio? Can anyone advise on
the setups the get max performance out of these 2 games with the 9700pro

Regards

Barry

Old October 28th 04, 09:54 PM
N´far

"Barry Kelman" skrev i en meddelelse
I have just "upgraded" from Ti4600 to 9700pro and to be honest I don't see
muct improvement while playing Call of Duty or Medal of Honor.

Forgive my ignorance but where do you set FF anansio? Can anyone advise on
the setups the get max performance out of these 2 games with the 9700pro

Regards

Barry

An outdated driver mayby ? Actually you might wanna try the ATI groups.

Old October 29th 04, 06:08 AM
husker3in4

I went from several lines of Geforce cards (upgrading over the years) to a Radeon 9800 Pro. Performance for the money is
good, but the drivers are always buggy. Wierd artifacting and other annoyances. I sold it (made all my money back) and forked
up for the 6800GT. I couldnt be happier. Awesome performance, stable drivers and great gameplay!

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 07:17:06 +0100, Andrew spamtrap@localhost. wrote:

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:04:37 -0400, "GT-Force"
wrote:

I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I am
thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that went
to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the new
cards, and what were the issues?

What problem(s) are you having? I went from a 4400 to a 9700 Pro with
no problems, I use the 4.4 Cats.