Anyone went from nVidia to ATI?

Old October 22nd 04, 04:04 AM
GT-Force

Default Anyone went from nVidia to ATI?

Hi,

I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I am
thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that went
to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the new
cards, and what were the issues?

Thanks.

GT

Old October 22nd 04, 06:07 AM
sheer

I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I

am
thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that

went
to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the new
cards, and what were the issues?

I went from a Leadtek MX440 64MB DDR to a Powercolor 9600 Pro Bravo128MB DDR
and I could not be happier. But I will admit I was concerned about the ATI
drivers originally, tried a few, but since I settled on the Omega equivalent
4.8 catalyst drivers I am extremely happy. Only annoying thing was the fan
became noisy on my ATI card but that only put it on par with the noisy
Leadtek fan, so I got myself a Antec VGA cooler and again very happy.
What must be noted though is that the ATI card went in a brand new build,
still have the Nvidia working in old computer.

Old October 22nd 04, 07:17 AM
Andrew

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 23:04:37 -0400, "GT-Force"
wrote:

I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I am
thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that went
to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the new
cards, and what were the issues?

What problem(s) are you having? I went from a 4400 to a 9700 Pro with
no problems, I use the 4.4 Cats.
Old October 22nd 04, 07:36 AM
Richard Cavell

On 22/10/04 1:04 PM, GT-Force wrote:

Hi,

I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I am
thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that went
to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the new
cards, and what were the issues?

I went from a nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 to an ATI Radeon 9800 XT, and I'm
a bit disappointed. CounterStrike doesn't look one iota better, and my
frame rates are only marginally improved and equally likely to slow down
to a crawl during much activity. Softimage also doesn't appear to have
improved much.
Old October 22nd 04, 07:55 AM
Andrew

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:36:41 +1000, Richard Cavell
wrote:

I went from a nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 to an ATI Radeon 9800 XT, and I'm
a bit disappointed. CounterStrike doesn't look one iota better

WTF, you expect a 5 year old game to utilise all the modern features
of your 9800?

, and my
frame rates are only marginally improved and equally likely to slow down
to a crawl during much activity. Softimage also doesn't appear to have
improved much.

You probably have VSync enabled or are maybe locked at 60FPS (look for
refreshforce). Maybe you are CPU limited too. My 9700 Pro run
CS:Source without any major slowdown, never mind how smoothly it plays
the original CS.
Old October 22nd 04, 08:15 AM
Richard Cavell

On 22/10/04 4:55 PM, Andrew wrote:

WTF, you expect a 5 year old game to utilise all the modern features
of your 9800?

No, but I expect the fill rate to be high enough to run it at 100 fps +.

You probably have VSync enabled or are maybe locked at 60FPS (look for
refreshforce). Maybe you are CPU limited too.

2 Gigahertz P4, 768 MB RAM.
Old October 22nd 04, 08:17 AM
Michael Fritz

"GT-Force" wrote in message
:

I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I am
thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that went
to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the new
cards, and what were the issues?

I've moved from a GeForce 2 Ti to an Asus X800 pro.

After reinstalling the OS - I changed from Win98SE to a new installation of
WinXPpro - I'm indeed a little bit disappointed.

Some of the Games (Unreal 2, Unreal Expanded Multiplayer, Tribes Vengeance
Demo..) are crashing sometimes with an D3DERR_DRIVERINTERNALERROR.

First I installed XP with SP2 and reinstalled XP with SP1, DirectX 9.0c
using Catalyst 4.10. But now luck either.

IMO Win98 did the job much better than XP. I changed the OS because of
missing drivers for my X800 under Win98.

Of course some of the new games run quite good and the graphics looks very
pretty ;-) So the new graphics card could certainly not be blamed but the
OS and/or the drivers.

--
cu,
Michael
Old October 22nd 04, 08:39 AM
Inglo

On 10/22/2004 12:15 AM Richard Cavell brightened our day with:

On 22/10/04 4:55 PM, Andrew wrote:

WTF, you expect a 5 year old game to utilise all the modern features
of your 9800?

No, but I expect the fill rate to be high enough to run it at 100 fps +.

You probably have VSync enabled or are maybe locked at 60FPS (look for
refreshforce). Maybe you are CPU limited too.

2 Gigahertz P4, 768 MB RAM.

I just popped open CS to see how it runs, 1280x1024, 6x AA 16x Forced
Trilinear AF, never varied from 100 fps. There are game settings and
such that seem to lock it there, I quit playing CS back in 1999 though
so I don't know exactly how the console stuff works.
I have a feeling if it was unfettered it would be running at 3 or 400 fps.

That's with a 9800 Pro, whatever problem you have getting it to run at
100 fps is yours not the cards.

--
"Coming soon: Meatspace spyware, little men who live in your cupboards and watch what you eat and then try to sell you timeshares in Toronto."

Steve ¤ģIngloĢ¤
www.inglostadt.com
Old October 22nd 04, 08:41 AM
Inglo

On 10/21/2004 8:04 PM GT-Force brightened our day with:

Hi,

I had an nVidia (GeForce2 GTS), now I have an ATI card (9700 Pro), and I am
thinking about going back to nVidia (6800GT). Is there anyone here that went
to nVidia from ATI and regretted it? If so, what was the old and the new
cards, and what were the issues?

Thanks.

GT

I don't think you have to have had a bad experience with ATI to want to
get a 6800, they're great cards. It's not like your divorcing your
second wife to go back to the first, they're just frickin' hardware vendors.

Old October 22nd 04, 08:43 AM
Inglo

On 10/22/2004 12:17 AM Michael Fritz brightened our day with:

"GT-Force" wrote in message
:

[...]

All of those games are the same engine, find out if there are conflicts
with the Unreal engine and your settings.