Router

Old June 20th 16, 12:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
pheasant16

Default Router

Reading the reviews at Newegg makes me wonder about the stability of any
of them. May be best to just to pick one at random. Had a decent
Netgear N600 wndr3400 give up the ghost after 2 years, and have a 10
dollar TrendNet limping us by until we get a better one. After 6 hours
have already had to reboot it, so need to get one soon.
Nothing more intense than streaming to a couple TV's, so don't think I
want to spend 300 plus bucks.

Any favorites for not more than a couple hundred bucks?

Thanks

Mark
Old June 20th 16, 03:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 06:23:51 -0500, pheasant16
wrote:

Reading the reviews at Newegg makes me wonder about the stability of any
of them. May be best to just to pick one at random. Had a decent
Netgear N600 wndr3400 give up the ghost after 2 years, and have a 10
dollar TrendNet limping us by until we get a better one. After 6 hours
have already had to reboot it, so need to get one soon.
Nothing more intense than streaming to a couple TV's, so don't think I
want to spend 300 plus bucks.

Any favorites for not more than a couple hundred bucks?

Thanks

Mark

I don't have a lot of data, but my old Cradlepoint MBR-1000 never has
to be rebooted. Of course, it's so old that I'm sure it is no longer
available, but maybe new units are as reliable.
Old June 20th 16, 04:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 06:23:51 -0500, pheasant16 wrote:

| Reading the reviews at Newegg makes me wonder about the stability of any
| of them. May be best to just to pick one at random. Had a decent
| Netgear N600 wndr3400 give up the ghost after 2 years, and have a 10
| dollar TrendNet limping us by until we get a better one. After 6 hours
| have already had to reboot it, so need to get one soon.
| Nothing more intense than streaming to a couple TV's, so don't think I
| want to spend 300 plus bucks.
|
| Any favorites for not more than a couple hundred bucks?

Router choice starts with what you need one to do. Not much use in spending big
bucks for capabilities you don't have any need for now and don't expect to for the
foreseeable future. I've been using a D-Link DIR-859 (ac1750 dual band gigabit) that
has fully satisfied my router needs for nearly 6 months now with no problems. It
averages only 3 stars in Newegg reviews, but I would give it a full 5. When I read
the actual reviews, I get the impression some low ratings come more from operator
inability than product shortcomings.

D-Link DIR-859 is available for $100 or less at Newegg, Amazon and other sellers.

Larc
Old June 20th 16, 10:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

wrote:

Reading the reviews at Newegg makes me wonder about the stability of any
of them. May be best to just to pick one at random. Had a decent
Netgear N600 wndr3400 give up the ghost after 2 years, and have a 10
dollar TrendNet limping us by until we get a better one. After 6 hours
have already had to reboot it, so need to get one soon.
Nothing more intense than streaming to a couple TV's, so don't think I
want to spend 300 plus bucks.

Any favorites for not more than a couple hundred bucks?

Thanks

Mark

I don't have a lot of data, but my old Cradlepoint MBR-1000 never has
to be rebooted. Of course, it's so old that I'm sure it is no longer
available, but maybe new units are as reliable.

I didn't mention, but the reason I got the Cradlepoint was to have
failover to a USB 3G dongle or a tethered cell phone when internet
from my ISP was lost. Anyone know of a good modern router with that
capability?
Old June 21st 16, 04:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_9_]

wrote:

[...]

Charlie, While not totally "modern" but I believe the Belkin
F7D73301/7301 and the F7D74301/8301 routers have the cellular option
when they are loaded with the Tomato USB firmware. I'm partial to the
4301 or 8301 units as they have the 1GB LAN port capability.

Pheasant16, I have sites running the above Belkin routers at a number of
locations and they have proven to be quite stable.