Turn PS2 port off on Asus P6T?

Old March 29th 09, 02:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

Default Turn PS2 port off on Asus P6T?

I've got that annoying problem where my optical PS2 mouse and keyboard stays
on when the system is shut down. Does anyone know if there is a jumper or
BIOS setting on an Asus P6T mainboard to turn the power off to the PS2 ports
when the system is off?
I have tried playing with the power settings in bios: choosing S3 config
makes no change. S1 and S3 is all this bios has for options.
My power settings in XP are set to Home/Desktop.

3 demerit points for any suggestions to use a USB mouse!

Old March 29th 09, 05:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
david

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 09:05:07 -0400, TVeblen rearranged some electrons to
say:

I've got that annoying problem where my optical PS2 mouse and keyboard
stays on when the system is shut down. Does anyone know if there is a
jumper or BIOS setting on an Asus P6T mainboard to turn the power off to
the PS2 ports when the system is off?
I have tried playing with the power settings in bios: choosing S3 config
makes no change. S1 and S3 is all this bios has for options. My power
settings in XP are set to Home/Desktop.

3 demerit points for any suggestions to use a USB mouse!

There should be a jumper to switch KB power between +5 and +5SB. Check
your motherboard manual.
Old March 29th 09, 07:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

Nope. I did RTFM, but there is nothing in there. I know there is USUALLY a
jumper for that, but damned if I can find it on this board. I got a jpg of
the board and scoured it at high res for anything not labeled in the manual
that could be the KB jumper. Nada.
So I'm looking for someone with this board that has actually accomplished
this task.

Old March 29th 09, 08:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"TVeblen" wrote in message ...
Nope. I did RTFM, but there is nothing in there. I know there is USUALLY a
jumper for that, but damned if I can find it on this board. I got a jpg of
the board and scoured it at high res for anything not labeled in the manual
that could be the KB jumper. Nada.
So I'm looking for someone with this board that has actually accomplished
this task.

Try unchecking "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby"
for your USB hub(s), mouse and PS/2 keyboard under Device Manager,
if you do not desire to wake the system via your USB, mouse and/or
PS/2 keyboard.

Check again for a jumper labeled either USB or PS/2 +5V/+5VSB.
You want it in the +5V position.

Old March 29th 09, 08:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

wrote in message
"TVeblen" wrote in message
Nope. I did RTFM, but there is nothing in there. I know there is USUALLY
jumper for that, but damned if I can find it on this board. I got a jpg
of
the board and scoured it at high res for anything not labeled in the
manual
that could be the KB jumper. Nada.
So I'm looking for someone with this board that has actually accomplished
this task.

Try unchecking "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby"
for your USB hub(s), mouse and PS/2 keyboard under Device Manager,
if you do not desire to wake the system via your USB, mouse and/or
PS/2 keyboard.

Check again for a jumper labeled either USB or PS/2 +5V/+5VSB.
You want it in the +5V position.

I looked again (12 times now?) and there are very few jumpers on this board:
OV_CPU, OV_QPT_DRAM, CHASSIS, and CLR_RTC. That's it.

I want the keyboard and mouse to bring the computer out of standby mode, so
I'm not willing to change that power setting.

Old March 29th 09, 09:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"TVeblen" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
"TVeblen" wrote in message
[...]

Now I'm confused.. I think I need to read this thread from the
beginning. You either have standby power to a port or you don't,
and if you don't, there's no way it can wake up a system from
standby mode.

Old March 29th 09, 09:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Franc Zabkar

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 09:05:07 -0400, "TVeblen"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I've got that annoying problem where my optical PS2 mouse and keyboard stays
on when the system is shut down. Does anyone know if there is a jumper or
BIOS setting on an Asus P6T mainboard to turn the power off to the PS2 ports
when the system is off?
I have tried playing with the power settings in bios: choosing S3 config
makes no change. S1 and S3 is all this bios has for options.
My power settings in XP are set to Home/Desktop.

3 demerit points for any suggestions to use a USB mouse!

Disconnect all power from your PC. Use a multimeter to test for
continuity between your PS2 port's supply pin and the +5VSB pin in the
PSU connector.

Here are the pinouts:
http://pinouts.ru/Inputs/PS2Mouse_pinout.shtml
http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml (20-pin)
http://pinouts.ru/Power/atx_v2_pinout.shtml (24-pin)

If there is continuity, then either the PS2 port is hardwired to the
+5VSB rail, or there is a jumper or link on the motherboard. Probing
with your multimeter should find the jumper or link.

If there is no continuity, then the chipset must be switching +5VSB
power to the PS2 port.

- Franc Zabkar
Old March 29th 09, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

wrote in message
"TVeblen" wrote in message

wrote in message
"TVeblen" wrote in message
[...]

I want the mouse to turn off when the computer is off - shut down - NOT in
standby mode.
It can, and should be ON - if the computer is in standby mode.
I've never had one where the mouse and keyboard stays on when the computer
is shut down (Off).
If I shut down the computer, then shut off the power supply switch to turn
off all system power, then turn it back on, the motherboard lights up but
the keyboard and mouse stay off.

Old March 29th 09, 11:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"TVeblen" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
"TVeblen" wrote in message

wrote in message
"TVeblen" wrote in message
[...]

Ah ok, and you're saying your system bios does not have a
mapping for the power button (i.e. POWER OFF = OFF/
STANDBY/RESET)?

Old March 29th 09, 11:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

wrote in message ...
"TVeblen" wrote in message ...
I want the mouse to turn off when the computer is off - shut down - NOT in
standby mode.
It can, and should be ON - if the computer is in standby mode.
I've never had one where the mouse and keyboard stays on when the computer
is shut down (Off).
If I shut down the computer, then shut off the power supply switch to turn
off all system power, then turn it back on, the motherboard lights up but
the keyboard and mouse stay off.

Ah ok, and you're saying your system bios does not have a
mapping for the power button (i.e. POWER OFF = OFF/
STANDBY/RESET)?

I found a copy of the P6T manual. The option I referred to is first
on the APM Configuration screen. Make sure it's set to "Power Off",
and the others to "Disabled".

If that doesn't help, you might also try disabling USB Legacy support.
(This one's a longshot and probably won't fix the issue

Advanced menu/USB Configuration/Legacy USB Support = Disabled.