Resolution Problems

Old April 1st 08, 01:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default Resolution Problems

On Mar 31, 6:21 pm, "DaveW" wrote:
That older underpowered video card is apparently NOT powerful enough to
drive a high resolution 1680 x 1050 display. Time for an upgrade of video
card.

--
--DaveW

wrote in message

Hi all,
I have an older pc in my bedroom. Use it mostly for browsing the
internet. It had a ATI 9600 Pro video card which died.
I picked up an Nvidia GeForce FX5200 for pretty cheap (since I only
need 2D graphics). I tossed it
into the machine and it works at every resolution except the one I
want. (1680x1050) When I set it to 1680x1050 (this is the native
resolution of the monitor) it definately doesn't look like 1680x1050
and to confirm the monitor shows the resolution as 1280x1024. The
computer and the NVidia control panel thinks that it is 1680x1050 but
in reality it is not.I temporarily I set it to 1440x900 which works
fine but it isn't super clear since the monitor is an LCD at
1680x1050. I really am not sure where to look for this. Wasn't really
sure how to easily describe the problem so that I can perform a
search.
Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

I don't necessarily buy that. 1680x1050 2D only graphics should be a
breeze for this card. It works just fine with the VGA connector.

Old April 1st 08, 01:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
RF

wrote in message
On Mar 31, 6:21 pm, "DaveW" wrote:
That older underpowered video card is apparently NOT powerful enough to
drive a high resolution 1680 x 1050 display. Time for an upgrade of
video
card.

--
--DaveW

I don't necessarily buy that. 1680x1050 2D only graphics should be a
breeze for this card. It works just fine with the VGA connector.

Ignore anything by DaveW. His posts and opinions are worthless. He's
proven that time and time again on this group.

RF.

Old April 1st 08, 03:35 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

On Mar 31, 8:46 pm, "RF" wrote:
wrote in message

On Mar 31, 6:21 pm, "DaveW" wrote:
That older underpowered video card is apparently NOT powerful enough to
drive a high resolution 1680 x 1050 display. Time for an upgrade of
video
card.

--
--DaveW

I don't necessarily buy that. 1680x1050 2D only graphics should be a
breeze for this card. It works just fine with the VGA connector.

Ignore anything by DaveW. His posts and opinions are worthless. He's
proven that time and time again on this group.

RF.

Ahh the resident troll. Been on newsgroups for 15 years and it never
fails that every group has their troll. I am new to this
newsgroup....thanks for the heads up.

Old April 2nd 08, 04:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

On Apr 1, 5:56 am, dizzy wrote:
wrote:
I don't necessarily buy that. 1680x1050 2D only graphics should be a
breeze for this card. It works just fine with the VGA connector.

Then use the VGA connector.

Thanks, but no thanks. When video goes through D/A/D conversion (using
the VGA connector) it does not look as good as staying digital as with
DVI. It is most noticeable on text.