updated Nintendo Wii specs - pinch of salt needed

Old August 2nd 06, 09:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube
Guest

Default updated Nintendo Wii specs - pinch of salt needed

"El Guapo" wrote in message
. ..
"Guest" wrote in message
m...

"El Guapo" wrote in message
. ..
"Guest" wrote in message
. ..

"Mantorok" wrote in message
From what I've gathered the specs aren't going to truly relate what
the Wii can do, from what I've heard they are focusing on getting
"more" out of "less".

The software-architecture is what they are focusing on, probably a
very powerful framework for getting a lot out of the Wii in very
little time and with very little resource needed.

The Wii games will look great, but it's not just that, it'll be the
fact that devs will be able to worry less about the graphics and spend
the time otherwise spent on graphical techniques, on the new
controller.

I thought this was quite common knowledge that there approach was
towards the architectual side of the software.....

Kev

I guess that would be the newly revised excuse for the Wii? You know
those sellers in stores love to discourage people from buying certain
things. You can bet that they will tell people it is just a GC in
another package.

Right... that's why nobody buys the DS, because retail workers are out
there telling everybody it's just a GBA with two screens.

I think that unlike the Gamecube, the Wii will actually be a popular
item for retailers to push. It's clearly different from the other two
consoles, which is a good thing from the retailer's perspective. It
gives them an opportunity to broaden the overall market they reach with
their game consoles and games.

What ever you say. You come with excuse after excuse. What will your
excuse be if the Wii flops?

What would anybody need excuses for? Either Nintendo's new direction in
consoles works, or it doesn't. At this point if it flops it will be
because Nintendo was wrong about what people want. If it succeeds then it
proves that they were right.

It won't prove that they were right, it would just prove that they were a
little bit cheaper. I will reserve final judgement until I see games. So
far, Nintendo's usual games do not look mind blowing.

About the only thing left to possibly screw up is the
price or the advertising, but I think they'll be OK there. It should be
inexpensive enough for anybody to buy, and if their ad campaign is as good
as it has been with the DS they'll be in good shape. I don't like the
name and I think it was a big mistake, at least for the NA/UK market, but
it can definitely be overcome if they do everything else right.

Old August 2nd 06, 09:19 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube
Guest

"Chris F" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 18:23:25 GMT, "Guest" wrote:

I think that unlike the Gamecube, the Wii will actually be a popular
item
for retailers to push. It's clearly different from the other two
consoles, which is a good thing from the retailer's perspective. It
gives
them an opportunity to broaden the overall market they reach with their
game consoles and games.

What ever you say. You come with excuse after excuse. What will your
excuse be if the Wii flops?

and what will you have to say if it doesn't?

That was not my question.

Old August 2nd 06, 09:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube
Chris F

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 08:19:27 GMT, "Guest" wrote:

"Chris F" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 18:23:25 GMT, "Guest" wrote:

I think that unlike the Gamecube, the Wii will actually be a popular
item
for retailers to push. It's clearly different from the other two
consoles, which is a good thing from the retailer's perspective. It
gives
them an opportunity to broaden the overall market they reach with their
game consoles and games.

What ever you say. You come with excuse after excuse. What will your
excuse be if the Wii flops?

and what will you have to say if it doesn't?

That was not my question.

yes, well spotted. it was me who asked that. i would be a bit worried,
tho not at all surprised, if you had started talking to yourself.
--

gamertag: Chrisflynnuk
http://live.xbox.com/member/Chrisflynnuk
Old August 2nd 06, 09:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube
Chris F

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 08:19:09 GMT, "Guest" wrote:

What ever you say. You come with excuse after excuse. What will your
excuse be if the Wii flops?

What would anybody need excuses for? Either Nintendo's new direction in
consoles works, or it doesn't. At this point if it flops it will be
because Nintendo was wrong about what people want. If it succeeds then it
proves that they were right.

It won't prove that they were right, it would just prove that they were a
little bit cheaper. I will reserve final judgement until I see games. So
far, Nintendo's usual games do not look mind blowing.

that is because you are still missing the point. it isn't about how
the games look, it is about new ways of playing and interacting with
them.

and i'd hardly say you were reserving judgement as you have done
little but slag it off so far, despite just now admitting you have
seen little of the games and thus presumably know little about the
system at all.

Old August 2nd 06, 09:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube
Sir Chewbury Gubbins

On 2006-08-01, Great Cthulhu rose from the deep and compelled Guest to exclaim:

"Chris F" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 03:24:33 GMT, "Guest" wrote:

"El Guapo" wrote in message
. ..
"AirRaid Mach 2.5" wrote in message
oups.com...

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/wii/rum...ecs-190815.php
snip

So according to this, the Wii is just a Gamecube overclocked by 50% with
new controller? If that's true, then what exactly have IBM and ATI been
working on for the last several years? That could have been
accomplished
in a matter of months.

Personally, I think these are in fact the specs for the Wii development
kits, but that the final hardware will be different. Not necessarily a
lot faster, of course. There's only so much you can do with such a
small
form factor. The thing is, if these really are the final specs, it's
hard
to imagine how ATI and IBM could get such a tiny increase in performance
five years later, especially when the system was already pretty small to
begin with. You'd have to really work at it in order to not come up with
something faster than this. Unless Nintendo is planning on selling the
system for $99 right off the bat, it makes little sense.

What does make sense is why Nintendo never said a word about it. It is
like
being in a locker room and having the smallest Wii Wii. NOW, I think I
know
why they call it the Wii! This system is an embarrassment to videogame
systems.

nintendo have never denied the specs of it, they just didn't see them
as important as the core aim of the system is that it offers new ways
to play games.

they have said this from day one, and have continually stated that
they wouldn't support HD with it, and that it would only be slightly
more powerful than the Cube.

then again, you seem to be a complete ****wit, so i have no idea why i
am rationalising a response to you when i'd be just as well off
mashing my head on the keyboard to produce something about as
worthwhile as your persistent dirge.
--

gamertag: Chrisflynnuk
http://live.xbox.com/member/Chrisflynnuk

You are just trying to make yourself feel better about that weak system.
You are also assuming that I am a child who gives a **** about a bull****
controller over high powered graphics.

No, we're assuming you're a child who gives a **** about pretty shiny
graphics over an innovative control system.

"Oh look mummy! Pretty pretty!"

Choobs

--
Sir Chewbury Gubbins
"Streaming through the starlit sky, travelling by telephone" - Syd Barret 1946-2006

http://www.nelefa.org - Game Diary, Fiction, and Ramblings
Old August 2nd 06, 01:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube
Mantorok

"Guest" wrote in message
m...

"El Guapo" wrote in message
. ..
"Guest" wrote in message
. ..

"Mantorok" wrote in message
From what I've gathered the specs aren't going to truly relate what the
[...]

You make the assumption that anyone here actually cares whether Nintendo are
successful with the Wii or not, you are wrong my friend, if it flops I doubt
anyone here would give a **** as they would already own one by then.

It's only people like you who actually take this **** seriously, this is a
discussion and your input is lacking, at best.

Kev

Old August 2nd 06, 04:06 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube
Guest

"Sir Chewbury Gubbins" wrote in message
You are just trying to make yourself feel better about that weak system.
You are also assuming that I am a child who gives a **** about a bull****
controller over high powered graphics.

No, we're assuming you're a child who gives a **** about pretty shiny
graphics over an innovative control system.

"Oh look mummy! Pretty pretty!"

Choobs

Unless you are a Nintendo employee, there is no way that you could know if
it is innovative or not. Just because it is new does not make it innovative
or even good. I guess if that is the only new thing that you offer, then
that is all you can talk about. Call us all the names that you want, but
you can never brainwash me or anyone else (except those who don't know
games) into buying that BS control over hot graphics. The controller is a
gimmick that will last a year and then fade. By then, the Wii will have
been exposed as a BS system. Kind of like the Genesis compared to the SNES.

Old August 2nd 06, 04:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube
Guest

"Chris F" wrote in message
[...]

I have seen some games, I am assuming or hoping that they actually get
better by the time of release. I also hope that most of the games don't
come from Nintendo again. Again, this control is something that the people
did not ask for or need. Just because your boss promotes it does not make
it special.

Old August 2nd 06, 04:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube
Guest

"Mantorok" wrote in message

"Guest" wrote in message
m...

"El Guapo" wrote in message
. ..
"Guest" wrote in message
. ..

"Mantorok" wrote in message
From what I've gathered the specs aren't going to truly relate what
[...]

I take is seriously? I make points and others call people names and make a
million excuses. I just point out facts. The fact is that the Wii is an
overclocked GC with an unneeded gimmick controller.

Old August 2nd 06, 04:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,uk.games.video.nintendo,uk.games.video.gamecube
Chris F

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 15:09:33 GMT, "Guest" wrote:

"Chris F" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

no one needed cars either, would you rather we still rode round in
horse and carts?

if companies didn't innovate in the games industry, we'd still be
playing pong.