Faster mhz or lower latency?

Old November 25th 03, 12:04 PM
Tripper

Default Faster mhz or lower latency?

Narrowed choices of paired DDR kits for new GA-7N400 Pro to five...

1) Kingston HyperX PC3200 @ 2-2-2-6-1
2) Kingston HyperX PC3500 @ 2-3-3-7-1
3) Corsair XMS PC3200C2 @ 2-3-3-6-1
4) Corsair XMS PC3200LL @ 2-3-2-6-1
5) GeIL PC3500 Ultra @ 2-3-3-6-1

I'm attrached to the Kingston PC3200 but most reviews say the Corsair
LL beats it. GeIL is cheapest and apparently will run at least as
fast as the Corsair non-LL if not faster.

Should I sacrifice timings for the sake of higher mhz or stick with
lower timings to at least insure 2-2-2-6 timings at 400mhz? My proc
is an XP2400+. Thanks all.
Old November 25th 03, 02:13 PM
Steve

Someone did a nice study of this recently. I don't remember which site had
it. The important bit was that PC3200 at 400MHz @ 2 2 2 5 was slightly
faster in games than the same memory at 500MHz @3 4 4 8. A 2-3% difference.
The opposite was true in most benchmarking programs.

The study was much more extensive but this was the part I was interested in
so I remembered it.

m...

Old November 25th 03, 02:29 PM
Frank Hagan

"Steve" wrote in message
gy.com...
Someone did a nice study of this recently. I don't remember which site

had
it. The important bit was that PC3200 at 400MHz @ 2 2 2 5 was slightly
faster in games than the same memory at 500MHz @3 4 4 8. A 2-3%

difference.
The opposite was true in most benchmarking programs.

The study was much more extensive but this was the part I was interested

in
so I remembered it.

"Tripper" wrote in message
m...
Narrowed choices of paired DDR kits for new GA-7N400 Pro to five...

1) Kingston HyperX PC3200 @ 2-2-2-6-1
2) Kingston HyperX PC3500 @ 2-3-3-7-1
3) Corsair XMS PC3200C2 @ 2-3-3-6-1
4) Corsair XMS PC3200LL @ 2-3-2-6-1
5) GeIL PC3500 Ultra @ 2-3-3-6-1

I'm attrached to the Kingston PC3200 but most reviews say the Corsair
LL beats it. GeIL is cheapest and apparently will run at least as
fast as the Corsair non-LL if not faster.

Should I sacrifice timings for the sake of higher mhz or stick with
lower timings to at least insure 2-2-2-6 timings at 400mhz? My proc
is an XP2400+. Thanks all.

I don't have the link, but I printed it out. I think the document you refer
to is "Memory Timings Analysis" by Harry Lam dated 05-16-03. If anyone is
interested I saved it as a Word.doc. It's about 60.5KB. Or a Google Search
should find it ;-)

FRH

Old November 25th 03, 09:25 PM
sdlomi

"Frank Hagan" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Steve" wrote in message
gy.com...
Someone did a nice study of this recently. I don't remember which site

had
it. The important bit was that PC3200 at 400MHz @ 2 2 2 5 was slightly
faster in games than the same memory at 500MHz @3 4 4 8. A 2-3%

difference.
The opposite was true in most benchmarking programs.

The study was much more extensive but this was the part I was interested

in
so I remembered it.

m...

Here's the link: http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/...emory_timings/

Old November 26th 03, 11:01 AM
Tripper

"sdlomi" wrote in message ...
"Frank Hagan" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"Tripper" wrote in message
m...

Should I sacrifice timings for the sake of higher mhz or stick with
lower timings to at least insure 2-2-2-6 timings at 400mhz? My proc
is an XP2400+. Thanks all.

I think the document you refer to is
"Memory Timings Analysis" by Harry Lam dated 05-16-03. If anyone is
interested I saved it as a Word.doc. It's about 60.5KB. Or a Google Search
should find it ;-)

Here's the link: http://www.techwarelabs.com/reviews/...emory_timings/

Thanks for the link, I found it via Google.

According to the article above I should go with the GeIL Ultra 3500.
The biggest differences were seen with higher mhz in 4-Bank, the CAS
was almost negligible, all other timings being equal.

What surprised me was how CAS2 would not run at 166 if the tRCD was
less than 4. Could it have been the VIA chipset on the mobo (Soyo
SY-P4X400), assuming the P4 was a Northwood?

Anyone care to raise an argument against this article's conclusions or
GeIL's 3500 Ultra? I thought my best bet was HyperX 3200 but after
reading Lam's findings (and considering the GeIL is rated 4.5ns) I
think I'm changing my mind. One review I read for Ultra 3500 said it
could run like Corsair at 2-3-2-6, or 2-2-2-6 at 400mhz. If so
there's no reason not to go with it. Thanks again all!