GA-K8VM800M - XP Setup Fails -- Memory Limitation??

Old August 26th 05, 06:35 PM
John

Default GA-K8VM800M - XP Setup Fails -- Memory Limitation??

I'm having trouble installing WindowsXP PRO
on this board:
GA-K8VM800M Rev 1

BIOS updated to F8
Sempron64 2600
1 stick of 512Meg Double sided DDR 400
80 GIG WD Drive
DVD/CDRW Combo

Boot from cdrom works, windows starts to load,
gets through the EULA and formats and starts
the file copy process then gives me a file copy error,
or, if it happens to finish the file copy, upon restart
gives me a blue screen STOP 0x0000008e

I've heard of the AMD64 memory limitation
but not quite sure how to read it.
It says that 1 dim of "x8 double rank" DDR400
should work. Am I assuming that x8 double rank
is 8 chips per side?

I removed the 512 and installed 1 Single sided
256 DDR400. (8 chip) Same problem.

Any ideas?

any good tutorials on memory and how they are
banked - timed ect. What works with what?

Thanks
John
Old August 26th 05, 10:35 PM
John

Ok from what I've read so far, seems that AMD 64's
want to run at 333 instead of 400 in some situtations.
I've looked for a place in the BIOS to do this, but I
can't find it.

Should I just exchange the 400DDR for 333?

Need help!!

John

Old August 30th 05, 10:39 PM
ScotsLucky

wrote:

[...]

No dont think so with the RAM problems -it seem to me that it could be
the disc which got bad sector so try the disc in other PC if you have
one or maybe you could try different DVD ROM drive but it more likely
that the problems is the CD disc so if it has finger print on it then
clean it and try again.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigaby...pict61145.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=309585
Old August 31st 05, 12:24 AM
John

No dont think so with the RAM problems -it seem to me that it could be
the disc which got bad sector so try the disc in other PC if you have
one or maybe you could try different DVD ROM drive but it more likely
that the problems is the CD disc so if it has finger print on it then
clean it and try again.

changed the command rate delay from "auto" to 2T as suggested in
amd.x86.64 group. Seems to be working fine. Installed without a hitch.

tricky to get to this setting. At bios press CTRL F1 to access these
settings.

John