Old Board - GA-6VX7-4X putting together for Charity - problem turning off - any help?

Old August 11th 05, 06:39 PM
km

Default Old Board - GA-6VX7-4X putting together for Charity - problem turning off - any help?

Have received an old system as a donation for charity members.

The motherboard is: Gigabyte GA-6VX7-4X

Having installed WinXP I thought everything was OK but turning off is
a problem.

After turning off in WinXP close down takes place but then the power
is still present with fans running and indicator lights still lit. The
on/off switch needs to be pressed to be fully turned off.

I am going to give this to someone with mobility restrictions and was
hoping that streching to press this button could be avoided. Is there
a BIOS setting or jumper change needed to avoid this inconvenience?

KM
Old August 11th 05, 09:25 PM
Travis Jordan

km wrote:
The motherboard is: Gigabyte GA-6VX7-4X
After turning off in WinXP close down takes place but then the power
is still present with fans running and indicator lights still lit. The
on/off switch needs to be pressed to be fully turned off.

It may be that this board doesn't support ACPI. Check for a BIOS update
or failing that just tell the client to live with it.

Old August 11th 05, 09:26 PM
Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan wrote:
km wrote:
The motherboard is: Gigabyte GA-6VX7-4X
After turning off in WinXP close down takes place but then the power
is still present with fans running and indicator lights still lit.
The on/off switch needs to be pressed to be fully turned off.

It may be that this board doesn't support ACPI. Check for a BIOS
update or failing that just tell the client to live with it.

I should have mentioned... check in Device Manager / Computer and see if
ACPI is enabled.

Old August 11th 05, 11:24 PM
Rev

km,

I had one that did like this. Turned out I was using a PCI video card in
it, and I had to go in and disable the system device bridging to AGP....or
some such.

Searching on Google ought to turn up the answer.

Rev

news

Old August 11th 05, 11:45 PM
Travis Jordan

http://www.driverscollection.com/?file_id=4809

Old August 11th 05, 11:47 PM
Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan wrote:
Travis Jordan wrote:
It may be that this board doesn't support ACPI. Check for a BIOS
update or failing that just tell the client to live with it.

http://www.driverscollection.com/?file_id=4809

Also he note the XP reinstall instructions. That's because ACPI uses
a different HAL.

Old August 11th 05, 11:49 PM
Travis Jordan

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard...GA-6VX7-4X.htm

Old August 12th 05, 10:30 AM
km

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:24:35 -0500, "Rev"
wrote:

km,

I had one that did like this. Turned out I was using a PCI video card in
it, and I had to go in and disable the system device bridging to AGP....or
some such.

Searching on Google ought to turn up the answer.

Rev

"km" wrote in message
news
Have received an old system as a donation for charity members.

The motherboard is: Gigabyte GA-6VX7-4X

Having installed WinXP I thought everything was OK but turning off is
a problem.

After turning off in WinXP close down takes place but then the power
is still present with fans running and indicator lights still lit. The
on/off switch needs to be pressed to be fully turned off.

I am going to give this to someone with mobility restrictions and was
hoping that streching to press this button could be avoided. Is there
a BIOS setting or jumper change needed to avoid this inconvenience?

KM

Thanks for the suggestion. The system is using an AGP card and BIOS
reflects this so I am looking into the ACPI side of things as
identified by Travis.

KM
Old August 12th 05, 10:47 AM
km

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:49:01 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
wrote:

Travis Jordan wrote:
Also he note the XP reinstall instructions. That's because ACPI
uses a different HAL.

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard...GA-6VX7-4X.htm

Hello Travis

Your input is much appreciated.

I can find no reference to ACPI in the Device Manager for the
"Computer".

The BIOS does have mention of ACPI options - the default is S1/POS
with a choice of S3/STR.

Reading that the ACPI BIOS upgrade will then require the Operating
System to be installed has encouraged me to accept your other advice
ie let the new owner live with it.

Thanks again.

Kevin McGee
Old August 30th 05, 10:39 PM
Captin

"" wrote:
Have received an old system as a donation for charity members.

The motherboard is: Gigabyte GA-6VX7-4X

Having installed WinXP I thought everything was OK but turning
off is
a problem.

After turning off in WinXP close down takes place but then the
power
is still present with fans running and indicator lights still
lit. The
on/off switch needs to be pressed to be fully turned off.

I am going to give this to someone with mobility restrictions
and was
hoping that streching to press this button could be avoided.
Is there
a BIOS setting or jumper change needed to avoid this
inconvenience?

KM

It seems your computer uses an AT power supply, not ATX?
This would explain why you have to manually turn the system on and
off.
Does the system have a reset button?

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Gigaby...pict60335.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=309537