Odd sound problem with 8KNXP

Old June 21st 05, 04:28 PM
Dodgy

Default Odd sound problem with 8KNXP

Windows XP decided to eat it's registry on friday so I had to do a
complete ground up reinstall of my machine over the weekend.

I downloaded all the latest drivers from the gigabyte website for my
rev1 8KNXP, and everything is now fine, except one little annoying
niggle.

When I move the system tray volume slider up or down, the test beep
comes from my onboard speaker, not the onboard sound card, even though
the volume control does change the volume of the sound. Mediaplayer
works fine, my games work fine, the only thing that seems confused
about where to send the sound is the volume slider itself.

Every sound config screen I can see shows the realtek as the default
sound device.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

D0d6y.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old June 22nd 05, 01:49 AM
Kilgore Trout Jr

That is a weird one! Any problems indicated in device manager? It might be
worth a shot to delete Realtek in device manager and then reboot. Windows
should discover the new hardware and reinstall the drivers.

Old June 22nd 05, 11:16 AM
Dodgy

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 00:49:52 GMT, "Kilgore Trout Jr"
waffled on about something:

That is a weird one! Any problems indicated in device manager? It might be
worth a shot to delete Realtek in device manager and then reboot. Windows
should discover the new hardware and reinstall the drivers.

Nope, everything looks happy.

Games work, media player works.

I've even uninstalled the drivers, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted.
Still the same.

I just noticed that the default "You've made a booboo" beep also comes
out of the pc speaker instead of the sound card...

Most odd.

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old June 22nd 05, 08:25 PM
Travis Jordan

Dodgy wrote:
Any ideas?

Sure - install TweakUI for XP, uncheck "Beep on errors".

Old June 22nd 05, 08:26 PM
Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan wrote:
Dodgy wrote:
Any ideas?

Sure - install TweakUI for XP, uncheck "Beep on errors".

Also...
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q262256

Old June 23rd 05, 10:37 AM
Dodgy

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:25:12 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
waffled on about something:

Dodgy wrote:
Any ideas?

Sure - install TweakUI for XP, uncheck "Beep on errors".

LOL!

That's only one step away from "Stick a screw driver through the
internal speaker"

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old June 23rd 05, 10:51 AM
Dodgy

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:26:49 GMT, "Travis Jordan"
waffled on about something:

Travis Jordan wrote:
Dodgy wrote:
Any ideas?

Sure - install TweakUI for XP, uncheck "Beep on errors".

Also...
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q262256

Thanks, that looked promising... Except I don't have the dodgy value
in the registry...

My search continues!

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES
Old June 23rd 05, 02:42 PM
Travis Jordan

Dodgy wrote:
That's only one step away from "Stick a screw driver through the
internal speaker"

Well, not really, since the primary use of the internal speaker is to
provide a way for the system to enumerate POST beep codes....

Old August 27th 05, 12:23 AM
Paul L

"Travis Jordan" wrote in news:N_yue.131284$yp5.10444
@fe03.news.easynews.com:

Dodgy wrote:
That's only one step away from "Stick a screw driver through the
internal speaker"

Well, not really, since the primary use of the internal speaker is to
provide a way for the system to enumerate POST beep codes....

Dodgy, is your problem fixed? I had the same problem until I wiped the HD
and reinstalled XPpro.

If anyone cares, the speaker also emits the beeps if you turn on 'toggle
keys' in accessibilities. The feature wasn't working on my new mb until I
realized I knocked the header cable off the mb.
Old August 30th 05, 01:19 PM
Dodgy

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:23:07 GMT, Paul L
waffled on about something:

"Travis Jordan" wrote in news:N_yue.131284$yp5.10444
:

Dodgy wrote:
That's only one step away from "Stick a screw driver through the
internal speaker"

Well, not really, since the primary use of the internal speaker is to
provide a way for the system to enumerate POST beep codes....

Dodgy, is your problem fixed? I had the same problem until I wiped the HD
and reinstalled XPpro.

If anyone cares, the speaker also emits the beeps if you turn on 'toggle
keys' in accessibilities. The feature wasn't working on my new mb until I
realized I knocked the header cable off the mb.

Nope, it still insists on doing the volume adjust test beep out of the
speaker not the sound card.

I've kinda got used to it now aka I've been planning to put a bigger c
drive in for months, and it'll get a full reinstall then.

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES