GA-K8NS Ultra 939 and DVD prob

Old August 29th 05, 12:32 PM
McGrandpa

Default GA-K8NS Ultra 939 and DVD prob

I've just built this AMD rig one week ago, got XP Pro installed, and all the
drivers (I think) in and working. device manager says all hardware is ok.
PowerDVD5 was giving me some problems running at first. It runs fine now,
problem isn't PDVD. I get the problem with anything that will play a DVD
movie. In device manager after trying to use the drive to watch a movie, I
find that either the driver or XP has changed the setting to PIO mode.
The drive is a fairly new Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-1673S successfully flashed to
JS0C, drive is set to Region 1. This drive worked flawlessly in my old rig,
a P4 3.0E, GA-8IPE1000-G with DMA enabled, 80 conductor cable. I burned
CD's, DVD's, watched DVD movies in PowerDVD5 all the time on this same drive
in Win XP Pro.
Is it a problem with the nforce3ultra chipset?
TIA,
McG.

Old August 29th 05, 02:47 PM
Dave

"McGrandpa" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Not to cast dispersions, but check cabling. That is unplug and re-plug the
drive cables after re-jumpering the master/slave jumper to the correct
setting.

On opticals, do not use cable select as they are usually only ATA33 devices
even when using 80 conductor cables.

Replace cables. I have used some 80 conductor cables that did not have a
strain-relief so when unplugging the cables, the ribbon is pulled away from
the metal connectors in the back of the plug and from then on they cause no
end of problems. 40 conductor cables are fine for CD/DVD drives.

Beyond that, I have an Abit NF7-S v2 and have used both the Windows and the
latest nVidia IDE disk drivers with my nForce 2 Ultra 400 chipset without
problems. For my set-up, the nForce ones are slightly faster.

Other weird things to consider, with recent drivers updates, I have found it
necessary to boot-up into safe mode and remove both the nVidia chipset
drivers and the nVidia video drivers for my FX5700 ViVo when I want to
update either when using XP Pro SP2.

Dave

Old August 29th 05, 05:38 PM
McGrandpa

"Dave" wrote in message

"McGrandpa" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Check, done that. drive is master on second IDE by itself. tried 3
different 80 conductor cables and 2 40 conductor cables. does better with
the 40. BIOS DMA transfers enabled, drive shows up just fine. The drive
works perfectly in the P4, GA 8IPE1000-G rig.
It isn't a setting, it's hardware and/or driver for the parallel IDE port
and large optical drives. doesn't seem to do this for CD's, only DVD's.

Replace cables. I have used some 80 conductor cables that did not have a
strain-relief so when unplugging the cables, the ribbon is pulled away
from the metal connectors in the back of the plug and from then on they
cause no end of problems. 40 conductor cables are fine for CD/DVD drives.

Beyond that, I have an Abit NF7-S v2 and have used both the Windows and
the latest nVidia IDE disk drivers with my nForce 2 Ultra 400 chipset
without problems. For my set-up, the nForce ones are slightly faster.

Other weird things to consider, with recent drivers updates, I have found
it necessary to boot-up into safe mode and remove both the nVidia chipset
drivers and the nVidia video drivers for my FX5700 ViVo when I want to
update either when using XP Pro SP2.

Dave

Noted, and will look at that too.

Thanks for the feedback. when/if I find a solution I'll post it.
McG.

Old August 30th 05, 12:13 PM
McGrandpa

"Dave" wrote in message

"McGrandpa" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

UPDATE:

Your advice is good basic common sense stuff (if one is a little bit
hardware savvy). I tried everything I could think of.

Two different brands of dual layer DvDRW drives.

Updating the firmware on the Lite-On drive (NEC drive is already latest)

Ensure drive is jumpered for Master and in Master position on cable.
Check, recheck, check sys BIOS for any and everything "drive" related,
enabled ALL "drive" functions, install latest nVidia nforce drivers and SATA
drivers. My device manager is really happy with everything there.

Tried every IDE cable I own, from a batch of old 40 and 80 conductor to some
brand new unopened ones. I have a very nice 80 on there and carefully
folded and tucked out of the airflow.

Tried putting drive on its own IDE power connector cable. Not a bad idea
since I have a bunch.

OK, upped my system BIOS from F7 to F8.

No change until I did something that I normally never have to do on an Intel
based system. I've downloaded ALL the nForce 3 package versions from
nVidia. I know we often have problems with our vid drivers, so will try a
new release and have problems, uninstall and install an older set.
I'd noted you can select which section of drivers to install in the nForce
installer Good. I tried the next oldest from the 5.10 for XP. That's
the 4.27 set and has the IDE driver version 4.12, I unselected everything
but that IDE driver. It installed it, rebooted......

And I stuck in Final Fantasy: The Spirit Within and it started and is
playing flawlessly...so far. With PowerDVD5 at that. I'm hesitant to
press the P or B key as that would either lock the system up or reset it
before (biting nails here).

In fact, I'll post this, close everything else but PDvD and THEN try that
then i'll get back in here and let ya know if it did it ok.

McG.

Old August 30th 05, 12:26 PM
McGrandpa

"Dave" wrote in message

"McGrandpa" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

In regard to my post just previous to this: IT WORKS!!! omg! I'm a happy
camper now.

What I think: Going from the 4.27 nForce driver set to 5.10 nForce driver
set, NVidia introduced a whole new world of functionality with SATA, PATA
and mixed arrays (and some other things as well) and apparently some of this
new function broke some of the old function.
So, I kept all the nForce 5.10 drivers except the for the IDE driver which
is now 4.12. All the other sections of the drivers are fine, and now the
IDE part seems to work right with the optical drives. I'll try burning CD
and DVD later today. Have to install the software for it first.
It's a relief to finally see a DvD movie playing right on this rig.

McG.