LAN Card is dropping connection ..Help Plz

Old August 27th 05, 12:55 PM
Wad

Default LAN Card is dropping connection ..Help Plz

Help?

My problem:

My LAN connection keeps dropping. Will run for a while but then the
connection just kicks out. Sometimes it will reset by itself, other
times I must reset the modem. Left idle no disconnection until I start
to download data.

My setup:

Mainboard GA-K8NS ultra 939
CPU Venice AMD 64 3000
PS Enermax 400 watt
Vid ATI Radeon 9700
Mem 2 x 512MB PC 3200 Samsung
Optical CDR/CRW
Optical DVD writer
HD 1 x 80 GB Maxtor
2 120cm Case fans
Floppy

Solutions taken to trouble shoot problem:

1. ISP Tech support checks cable and modem - okay
2. Hook cable and modem up to second computer - okay
3. Exchanged motherboard - same problem
4. Update mainboard bios and lan drivers
4. Disable Marvel Yukon Lan (onboard) and insert 3com pci nic - same
problem but not as frequent.

- so I assume that its not a nic issue.
- could it be an IRQ conflic? No IRQs seem to be shared.
- compatabilty issue with video card
- lastly a power supply issue

Adding up all my periferals the recommended minimum power supply
rating should be 258 Watts.

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_sup...or.php?cmd=AMD

At present my 3.3v rail 3.34-3.45 (okay) and my 12v rail 11.98 - 12.40
(okay).

So any ideas?

Frustrated.

Wad

Old August 30th 05, 03:09 AM
Beowulf

Wad wrote:

[...]

Dude, relax and back up a bit. You're swapping stuff like crazy but
you're not following the scientific method.

What ISP connection: DSL, cable?
Routeror hub? or NIC direct to modem?
Do you have a good CAT5 cable with properly crimped RJ45 connectors?
Hardware or Software Firewall?
Idle timeout/disconnect?
Do you have a LAN setup with more that 1 PC? static IP or DHCP?
If DSL, did you fiddle with the DSL modem settings?

And just because your ISP says that the connection is ok does not mean
it is...esp with DSL. If you need to reset the modem but not the NIC or
reboot PC to get back online, then you've got a bad modem.