Most "bang for the buck?"

Old August 13th 03, 12:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
J.Clarke

Default Most "bang for the buck?"

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 23:48:35 GMT
"Stuart Southerland" wrote:

I realize that there are proably as many opinions as there are
processors, but I'd like to hear some from those who know more than I
do. I'm putting together my first computer on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe
board (it seems a popular choice). I am not willing to shell out top
dollar for the fastest processor available, heck, I'm looking to keep
it less than $200. If I may humbly ask, it there a point in that price
range where the extra $ doesn't translate into a significant amount of
speed difference? It there a "price/point" where the law of
diminishing returns starts to kick in?

For example, I just saw a retail 2500+ Barton 333mhz for $88 at
newegg. The 2800+ is about a $100 more. Is it worth it?

Thanks for any opinioins

Make a graph. Put price on one axis and clock speed on the other and
you'll see immediately where the price become disproportionate to the
performance.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old August 13th 03, 12:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Pug Fugley

"Stuart Southerland" wrote in message
I realize that there are proably as many opinions as there are processors,
but I'd like to hear some from those who know more than I do. I'm putting
together my first computer on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe board (it seems a

popular
choice). I am not willing to shell out top dollar for the fastest

processor
available, heck, I'm looking to keep it less than $200. If I may humbly

ask,
it there a point in that price range where the extra $ doesn't translate
into a significant amount of speed difference? It there a "price/point"
where the law of diminishing returns starts to kick in?

For example, I just saw a retail 2500+ Barton 333mhz for $88 at newegg.

The
2800+ is about a $100 more. Is it worth it?

The Barton 2500, or the XP 2600+ are probably the best bang for the buck.

Also if you want to save a few bucks, look into Soltek and Chaintech boards.

Old August 13th 03, 02:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
John Theriault

"Pug Fugley" wrote in message
news

[...]

In my case what i did was, i got a 2500 xp, then over clocked it to about a
3400 xp.

The 2500xp on the Asus A7N8X are great. I have mine at 12X210 right now

Old August 14th 03, 03:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Too_Much_Coffee ®

"Stuart Southerland" wrote in message
I realize that there are proably as many opinions as there are processors,
but I'd like to hear some from those who know more than I do. I'm putting
together my first computer on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe board (it seems a

popular
choice). I am not willing to shell out top dollar for the fastest

processor
available, heck, I'm looking to keep it less than $200. If I may humbly

ask,
it there a point in that price range where the extra $ doesn't translate
into a significant amount of speed difference? It there a "price/point"
where the law of diminishing returns starts to kick in?

For example, I just saw a retail 2500+ Barton 333mhz for $88 at newegg.

The
2800+ is about a $100 more. Is it worth it?

If you want to overclock, the 1700+"B" would be a good choice. Newegg has it
for $42; check that it's a "B" model. If you don't want to seriously O/C
then I would say the Barton 2500+ is the best 'bang for the buck' chip. I
just bought one at Newegg for $88. You can overclock it to 2.2GHz (3200+)
easily.

Too_Much_Coffee ®

Thanks for any opinioins