How do I screen the website in order to find features I want on aboard?

Old March 26th 09, 05:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
ken

Default How do I screen the website in order to find features I want on aboard?

I would like an Intel board similar to the AMD board M3A78-T. It would
be for a Core 2 duo (socket 775) with good onboard video (DVI connector)
with lots of USB ports in ATX format. I can't seem to find an
equivalent board.

Thanks
Ken
Old March 26th 09, 05:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

ken wrote:
I would like an Intel board similar to the AMD board M3A78-T. It would
be for a Core 2 duo (socket 775) with good onboard video (DVI connector)
with lots of USB ports in ATX format. I can't seem to find an
equivalent board.

Thanks
Ken

The M3A78-T board has integrated graphics and three big PCI Express slots.
It is going to be pretty hard to match all aspects of that board. The
direction AMD/ATI and Intel follow, aren't quite the same. Intel integrated
graphics have a history of sucking. (Maybe the G45 is good enough, but
I haven't seen any comparisons lately, using their latest driver.)

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?mo...&l 3=731&l4=0

Using the Newegg advanced search, this is an example of a solution. Intel
makes a board with some of the characteristics. G45 chipset, full sized ATX.
But not nearly the same complement of PCI Express slots. And only
two RAM slots (that would be a deal breaker for me).

Intel BOXDG43NB LGA 775 (Intel G43) ATX

And here is one from Foxconn for $50.

Foxconn G31AX-K LGA 775 (Intel G31) ATX

I'd instead, shoot for a board with no onboard graphics, buy a
$50 video card, and aim for a motherboard with a P45 chipset
and four RAM slots.

Example of a P45 board with no integrated video, two PCI Express x16
slots for video card installation. There should be plenty around
similar to this. This one is $140 if you ignore the rebate. Some
of the cheaper ones, don't have quite as good reviews.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-128-369-S02?$S640W$

Example of a $50 video card, suitable for movie playback or light gaming.
Fanless, but some auxiliary airflow may help. You can find low profile
cards, if you prefer. With fan or without.

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIma...102-819-05.jpg

You could also find an even cheaper video card, a cheap motherboard,
and get under the $100 mark total. But perhaps with some compromises
on what processors will fit or benefit from the setup.

I guess it really depends on whether the Intel Gxx series integrated
graphics are considered decent or not. And whether any mainstream
motherboard makers really want to make full sized ATX boards using
such chipsets. The motherboard market is divided into segments,
and you should be able to see some patterns emerging, as to what
is available.

Paul

gps receptor features peyoting General 0 August 29th 06 11:44 AM
List of features Spock Ati Videocards 0 August 6th 06 04:07 AM
Are these features even available Jordan Ati Videocards 2 February 18th 05 05:17 PM
Advice before placing my order... I'm really about to place an order this time :o) [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 8 June 11th 04 03:53 AM
How to find out which screen I have ??? newtothis Dell Computers 1 January 30th 04 11:18 PM