Twain Driver Problem

Old November 8th 03, 06:58 PM
Steven O.

Default Twain Driver Problem

This is kind of a repost of a previous question, about a problem with
my Canon 8000F and connectivity. But this time there was an
additional error message running on piece of softwa "Unable to
Open Twain Source. Please Check Connection." I've inserted the
message, in sequence, in the discussion below -- maybe the extra clue
will help someone to help me.

I have the Canon 8000F scanner, which has been working fine for
several months with Windows 2000. Recently, after installing DSL, I
needed to rebuild the entire system (reinstall operating system, all
applications -- I did a clean build, but had to uninstall parts of
Service Pack 4, which may have hashed things) -- and now am having
problems. When I try to access the scanner from any app, including
the Canon Toolbox, I get: "Cannot communicate with scanner. Cable
may be disconnected. Check status. Scanner driver will be closed."
Then, next dialog box: "Unable to Open Twain Source. Please Check
Connection."

I have tried installed a different Twain driver, CFM, and that also
gives an error message. I went to the Microsoft download site and
searched for a Twain driver, and came up dry.

I notice that when Windows boots up, the scanner is not making the
noise it previously made, some kind of reboot, testing-the-scanner
sound. However, when the scanner is disconnected from the computer,
and reconnected to the USB port, Windows definitely announces "New
device found", and installs the scanner. The scanner is listed on the
Control Panel; under System/Device Manager, it says the device is
working properly. But under Scanners And Cameras the Status is
listed as "Unavailable".

The scanner remains connected to the same USB 2.0 port I used before
(though I also tried the other USB ports, and that didn't help). The
USB ports are working okay, because I test them with other devices, so
it's clearly a software problem. I have uninstalled the drivers, and
reinstalled with the latest from the Canon Web site. I have powered
the scanner off, and on again. I also tested the scanner with my
laptop, and the connection works fine there, so that scanner did not
mysteriously break, it's working okay.

I searched Usenet for previous posts on this problem, and found
several people who have experienced the same thing. Only, none of the
threads ended with a solution, other than: Reinstall everything from
scratch. (A solution I'd obviously rather avoid.)

Finally, in desperation, I tried reinstalling Windows 2K SP 4 (in
spite of other problems that causes), and it didn't help. Any
suggestions -- other than, "Rebuild the entire system AGAIN..." would
be appreciated.

Steve O.

Standard Antiflame Disclaimer: Please don't flame me. I may actually *be* an idiot, but even idiots have feelings.
Old November 8th 03, 07:15 PM
Millybags

I have a Canon 5000F with the same problem as below, except I use XPHome
SP1. I visited Canon Australia Support who talked about reinstalling the
TWAIN driver etc - see
http://www.canon.com.au/support/cust...=canoscan5000f
and it fixed the problem so far!

You might want to visit Canon Europe Support - not that it helped me much at
https://self-service.canon-europe.com/uk/pages/
Hope that helps.
Steve

"Steven O." Steven@OpzZZREMOVE_ALL_Zs_AND_ALL_BETWEEN_ZZComm. com wrote in
message ...

Old November 8th 03, 07:54 PM
Steven O.

Actually, after much digging on the Web, I found a thread with the
source of my problem. I'm posting the solution, in case anyone,
having similar problems, comes across this thread!

Recently, in trying to address the fact that Win2K was running slowly,
I disabled a bunch of startup programs -- and screwed myself up in the
process. There is a program called stimon.exe, which stands for Still
Image Monitor, that needs to run at startup. (You can select or
deselect the process using MSCONG.exe.) Anyway, I had this
deactivated, which is why the scanner would not respond. It needs to
run at startup for your scanner to work.

Would have been nice if there had been ONE !$*&^#$!% WORD ABOUT THIS
on Canon's help site, or in their help file that comes with the
product. Way to go, Canon tech writing staff.

Steve O.
A professional tech writer who sweats the details.
www.OpComm.com

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 17:58:13 GMT, Steven O.

Old November 10th 03, 06:39 PM
Millybags

I've just loaded driver version 8.0.2.1 after uninstalling 8.0.1.0 with the
uninstall utility at
http://ww2.canon-europe.com/cgi-bin/...&interfaceid=2 I
disabled my antivirus checker when I installed 8.0.2.1. All now seems well
afer restarting. You can't just install 8.0.2.1 over 8.0.1.0 - you have to
unstall the driver first. I'll post any problems here if they occur with
8.0.2.1